Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 10/04/2007, 09:52 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
Looking real good mate. I( bet your glad that this stage is out of the way. Its easy to see how much work you put into it.

Well done.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks Chris! I'll be happy for sure in five or six days After everything is for the most part done, but it did feel goo to get that tank on the stand! That thing is HEAVY!
Old 10/04/2007, 10:02 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by tgfrench
Glad to see the rebuild going so well.

The intake on your CL might need rethinking. I used the same strainer on my CL with a MD 70 and It became a snail trap. Once one of the suckers got on it the intake sucked them out of the shell. One suggestion would be to cut a length of pvc pipe with numerous holes in it to reduce the suction in that area.
Secondly I can see that area becoming a real PITA to clean.
Thanks tgfrench.
Strange on the snails and the intake.. I used them with a dart before and never had any massive snail death issues. I have two and rotate them out every week and clean them. I'm sure they claimed a few snails, but not very many... Not sure what you mean in reference to cleaning. Guess having the scape in my head helps as right now you can't see that aspect
Old 10/04/2007, 10:05 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Volkman
The nearest hardware store is 30 miles away?? That's gotta suck!!! Looks amazing Hop!! Thanks for all the pics!! One of the reasons I love this site, gives me more ideas on how to spend money I don't have!!! HA!
Well we have a local hardware store, but they don't carry everything I need. They are actually much cheaper than the box box store for plumbing, but the selection is limited.

I don't have any money either This is a low-cost build for sure!

Hopefully I'll get the livestock swapped over a bit later today!
Old 10/04/2007, 10:24 AM
Keeper of Tangs

wow love your tank, how far are you from glenwood springs?
Old 10/04/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

How much deeper is the new tank? Looks to be about the same height.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:30 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by thor32766
wow love your tank, how far are you from glenwood springs?
Thanks Thor! The company I work for is based in Glenwood. It's about 26 miles from where I live.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:32 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by JTEAGUE
How much deeper is the new tank? Looks to be about the same height.
Hey! The new tank is about 4" taller and 7" deeper. What ever the demensions for a 125 are 72X18X21 or something?, then the new tank is 72" wide, 25" deep and 24" tall.
Old 10/04/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

It's amazing just what 4" height will do but 7" deeper is real sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's looking good man
Old 10/04/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

wow... just found this thread. AMAZING build.
Old 10/04/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

very nice!! love the design of the fish room
Old 10/04/2007, 11:54 AM
is sooing spill chekur

If you don't mind, how much did the aquatile cost per sheet. You can pm me if you want.

Check out my website for info on fragging mushrooms, and the benefits of Vitamin C on soft corals!
Old 10/04/2007, 12:41 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by JTEAGUE
It's amazing just what 4" height will do but 7" deeper is real sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's looking good man
Thanks! Yeah, it's not as deep as I wanted as I left 4" behind the tank in case I want to put vortecs on the back wall or need to access the area.

Quote:
Originally posted by phunckie
wow... just found this thread. AMAZING build.
Thank you phunkie!

Quote:
Originally posted by Julio
very nice!! love the design of the fish room
Thanks Julio. Initially it was going to house the bigger system, so it was nice that I still got to use it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb Kruse
If you don't mind, how much did the aquatile cost per sheet. You can pm me if you want.
Sure, it not a huge secret, it's on the Lowes website They run about $12 a sheet. On the website it is or was called aquatile, but when you go to the store it's API acrylic sheets for laundry rooms. It's right next to the fiberglass sheets.
Old 10/04/2007, 07:28 PM
Carpe Noctem

Well I got the closed loop done and all the livestock is in the new tank. I can't aquascape yet as I can't see in the tank Maybe I'll be able to see inside tomorrow. I also need to add about another 50 gallons to the tank, lower the SG by adding some top-off and make some more RO/DI. All my vessels were tied up holding livestock, but are now free!

I'll also be upgrading pumps. 1700gph just is not as much as I was thinking it would be... So I guess I'll have to save for a dart
Old 10/05/2007, 11:15 AM
Carpe Noctem

This morning things are a lot more clear so I can finished the rough aquascape. On a side note, the closed loop works perfect as the area under and behind the rocks is completely clear! Hopefully it maintains the long haul!

Going to try to scape and build the sump today.
Old 10/05/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Looks good Hop. Not sure if I missed it, but what kind of paint did you use to paint the plumbing inside the tank?
Old 10/05/2007, 12:09 PM
Carpe Noctem

Thanks ssalty. I used Krylon fusion to paint the plumbing parts. It is fairly inert once dry. Although this is my first time painting anything in the tank, others here have used it without issue

Well I found out today that the glass companies here can't cut the glass for my sump until Tuesday or Wednesday I wanted to have this up and running by Sunday night. So my options are to run the sump without baffles and add them somewhere down the road, use a temp sump and temp plumbing for now and wait or leave the tank skimmerless for another week.
Old 10/05/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

How much stuff do you have in there? If you don't have a high bioload, I would recommend running no skimmer until you get the sump done.

On another note, how many baffles are you adding? Do you have a Lowes around there? If so, they should be able to sell you custom cut glass and it's really cheap. Immediate, too. Home Depot sometimes can cut glass also but I've found many that don't have the machine anymore, for some reason.
Old 10/05/2007, 01:03 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
How much stuff do you have in there? If you don't have a high bioload, I would recommend running no skimmer until you get the sump done.

On another note, how many baffles are you adding? Do you have a Lowes around there? If so, they should be able to sell you custom cut glass and it's really cheap. Immediate, too. Home Depot sometimes can cut glass also but I've found many that don't have the machine anymore, for some reason.
It's a pretty light bioload right now. I'm just not comoftable leaving it skimmerless for too long based on my inattentiveness to the tank of late Lowes was a no-go also, they only stock up to 1/8". I've got a couple ideas I'll work with over the next couple days...
Old 10/05/2007, 03:15 PM
I am a super nose picker

Very nice hop.I can see where you are forced to use the aqua tile.In a small area like that the humidity would build up.I like what you have done.Everything looks clean.Its nice to have a tank near your main entrance to your house.
Old 10/05/2007, 05:55 PM
Carpe Noctem

Hey steve... Yeah the space is one concern, but the fact that my entire house was seeing damage from the big tank was the main reason. I think a lot of people who cross the 200 gallon barrier should look into ways to keep the humidity down.

Well aquascaping took longer today than I wanted, but I just couldn't get it quite right. I finally ended up with a design, but the tank is still pretty cloudy. I snapped a quick pic of it, but keep in mind that it is very two dimensional looking in this pic, but in person, there are shelves that overhang and I use the depth of the tank more so than it appears in the cloudy pic. The more I look at it, the more it grows on me, but I'm seeing it a year from now in my head with some serious corals in there

Old 10/05/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

I really like that aquascape. I am trying do that with my 55 but I just don't have the depth. Yes, aquascaping can be a little nerve racking until you get it to look just right, and then when you think you do, you end moving it around again. I found that the Aquagloves really come in handy when aquascaping. Your hands don't get dried out and you don't have to worry about hitting any bristleworms.

Can't wait to see more pics. Good luck.
Old 10/05/2007, 06:59 PM
Carpe Noctem

Thanks ssalty. I think it's getting there. I wish I could portray the depth better, but oh well.

I did forget to post one pic last night. Here is the back of the closed loop. I'm sure your asking yourself what the heck are the big holes for... Well I had to cut the larger holes on the backside so that I can caulk the inner-side holes so that no air is pulled or induced from this area of the tank/garage. I will patch the larger holes and caulk this side also. Given a few weeks and the entire wall will be painted and you won't be able to tell the large holes were there. Otherwise, the DC8, ballasts and various other nick-knacks will go on the shelf and wall.
Old 10/05/2007, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Looking good. Following along to see how you do the duct work!

Ryan.
Old 10/05/2007, 09:01 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Looking really good Hop.

Almost proud of you. Would have been easy to give up during all the set backs, glad you didn't.
Old 10/05/2007, 09:20 PM
I am a super nose picker

hop you should use the expansion foam for the holes .Once it drys you can cut out the excess with a knife.I like the aqua scape.I had more trouble on mine because of the 8 way(to many pipes to cover)