Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone insulated their stand?

I would like to know if anyone has insulated their stand to decrease any noise and moisture damage?

If so, with what? Would that green board(?) or whatever the material is for bathroom walls be alright?
Old 01/08/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

If you were to do it you would need something that is completely salt water proof most of the stuff you find around would be water proof assuming it was fresh water but salt water is a different thing and can do really strange things to different items given time. I would say your best bets would be something like fiberglass covered in plastic or something similar.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:02 PM
Big Boy Pants

Anything that absorbs sound will absorb moisture. I don't recommend it.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 01/08/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

i was planning on using that pink foam board to insulate the inside of my stand, i have to skin it first of course. also i only have my ballasts down there, no water.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

poo- That's what I wanted to find out, if anyone has done it. Can you let me know how it goes and if you like it?

Gem- Yes, unfortunately that's what I expected, but I was hoping there was some sort of material used in boating/bathrooms that could be used. I was mainly interested for sound insulation, easy cleanup would be a bonus!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Are your ballasts that loud?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Even green board needs to be protected from water. and is very heavy... I would say a really good epoxy resin and maybe glass along with isolating the source of the noise. If it is vibration, use a foam buffer, perhaps under a pump, water noise, improve your plumbing geometry or flow. If nothing else works... add another subwoofer.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

There was a reevideo podcast a while ago, where I guy insulated his stand to reduce noise... If you goto itunes and subscribe to Reefvideos, it was one those those tours...

You can try the stuff they use in cars, kinda pricy like Dynamat or one of these others

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Sound-Dampening/600002673.jcw
Old 01/09/2008, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone. I will check out the podcast, sounds pretty cool.

It's not the ballast, but the pump and splashy splashy I want to dampen.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:42 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Pump ... what kind? In-sump?

I use the pink board under my sump and under my Hammerhead pump. Works wonders on sound. Gets wet at the edges all the time. 2.5yrs running and no sign of any sort of damage to the stuff.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/09/2008, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Thank you Ostrow, is it just called pink board?

No, external pump, in the stand most likely. I haven't put the tank together yet. Just making preparations.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:48 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Under my Hammerhead I got one of those rectangular foam pads that you find ... um, can't remember if it was in the gardening or the plumbing section of HD/Lowe's ... for kneeling on. Someone recommended that to me. Served multiple functions ... noise dampening, raising the pump to be level with the bulkhead. Works great. I believe I have 2 stacked on top of each other.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/09/2008, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I used Dyno matt, from Summit racing. Then cut up an old tub suround and put that over the matt, and silconed every thing.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

you could also use that mdf? board (not sure that is the right name.... having a brain lapse) that is used in gas station bathrooms, commercial kitchens, etc. Or you could use any kind of insulation and then just cover with plastic.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

I think you might be refering to masonite. I don't think think that would be good for this type of project. It's basicly hard pressed cardboard with a decorative coating on one side.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

http://www.businessmagnet.co.uk/comp...ding-67259.htm

there is the stuff i was talking about... mdf was not right
Old 01/09/2008, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Pink board (Owens Corning FoamulaR) or blue board (Dow Styrofoam) are designed for application in wet environments. They are both expanded polystyrene and the only difference is color(don't tell them that). They can handle different types of organic materials, and stand up to salt tremendously well. The boards don't absorb any appreciable moisture when submerged, so splashes should be no problem. The thing that really breaks it down is petroleum based chemicals.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

Thanks very much! Sounds like there are options I can take a look at.

Much appreciated....if any of you are currently using this masonite, Dow Styrofoam, or Dyno matt.....can you show pictures?

I have never DIY anything, so pictures would help a lot.

Thanks again!
Old 01/10/2008, 04:25 AM
Productive Procrastinator

To help dampen the noise from the pumps, I plan to put my Hammerheads on top of a 2x6 with a rubber mat underneath. The 2x6 is to get the proper height for bulkhead alignment.

As far as insulating the stand. I'm thinking maybe use that pink styro-board to insulate the perimeter. Then box it in with plywood and silicone the seams so the styro doesn't get moist. It can be boxed in off of your 4x4 inner legs so you can have 3.5" of material to dampen sound. The inside of the stand would be similar to if you had the front wood panel exposed if the stand was not insulated (typical installation), but now with a sealed, sound dampening wall. I have some other ideas too. Give me a call if you have ANY questions with ANYthing. Later Skater!
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 01/10/2008, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by szgppl
I used Dyno matt, from Summit racing. Then cut up an old tub suround and put that over the matt, and silconed every thing.
Got any photos?

Is dyno matt pretty expensive?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:29 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by mnestroy

Is dyno matt pretty expensive?
Yup kinda pricey at least if you are trying to insulate your trunk. I guess it depends on your stand too.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

If you are worried about moisture and noise you do have some options. FRP (Fiberglass reinforced panels) used in bathrooms will work for the moisture. You can then attach the pink board to that for the sound deadening you desire. FRP is not cheap. We use it weekly here at work for jobs so I know it very well.

You can use a Polyurethane glue (in a caulk tube) to glue the foam board to the FRP. This glue is specially made for the foam board and does not eat away at it like other glues will. I would then use an exterior window sill silicone based caulk to seal the FRP to the stand on the edges and use the FRP glue to glue it where it's flush on the stand.

That should cover both aspects and help you out. Plus the FRP is easily wiped clean with a moist towel.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Mr. 444!
ANY questions?
Cool! I will give you a call this weekend to discuss all of my questions!