Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)

Old 12/31/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

The Unexpected.

2 years ago ago and still being single, I got into the reefing hobby. I guy I worked with just moved here from Chicago. I had a tank set up and he took me to the shed up in Chi Town. Since then I was hooked. I started a couple of nano tanks and everything was perfect with them. . . . lol, then came a girlfried.

She loves the tanks, it is just that she is moving out of state next summer to go to college and and I am going with. . . I have decided not take the tanks the 6 hour hall to a different state. It was going to be too time consumeing and the money was not their to set up a bigger tank. (my first idea)plus we will have a apptment for 2-3 years and get a house after that if all goes well which means moving again. Not wanting to start and stop this hobby again. I have decided to wait till we end up with a actually house where we are going to be their for a while. Any one else had to put their hobby on hold due to the unexpected?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

You will miss it. Not knowing you, but knowing the reef geek in us all. You will have at least a nano set up with in 6 months.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

yupp, I've had to, you'll come back with a bigger swing, dont sweat it, do some planning while your waiting.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I hope in a few years I'll get to setup a 75 or 90 gallon. I it is going to be hard to wait that long. But if it I save right and plan it right is it going to be awesome.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Wait until you have your reef budget(small to begin with) shattered by having kids(my boy is do in the next few weeks ) there is nothing like staring at a tank with hardly nothing in it everyday , but i digress and good things come to those who wait
Old 01/01/2008, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

It's happened to all of us, I think. It's happening to me right now. I'm going to take down my 220 gallon very soon because my husband will be completing school and we will be moving within the next few months. We don't plan on staying in one place for long over the next few years. Until we finally get settled, I just can't justify moving around a reef that large multiple times.

I've found that each time I have to break down a tank for one reason or another, each time I return to the hobby, I make improvements in what I set up. Stay optimistic, the breakdown will most likely only be temporary for you.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Looks like we will be having coral for sale soon?
Old 01/02/2008, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, it will be nice to get settled into a permenant location, however that is the 5 year plan. By them can set up a larger tank and have to worry about having to break it and move it and get rid of my live stock again. Thats the hard part. However, I just no when I do it again it will be so much better the 2ed time that the first. Paients is hard sometimes. :-)