Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Meetings?

Hey guys,

Is CIMA still having meetings, or has that come to a hault? I know there was somewhat of a split a while back, and it seems to have died off here while BNARC is still having meetings.

I live in Springfield, and it's hard for me to make it to the Bloomington area for meetings. It'd be nice if things could come back together here if we could start to get the club back to strength. I realize that takes some work, but it'd be nice to have something a bit more local. Any thoughts, comments, sarcastic remarks are welcome, I just don't here of much going on in the area anymore, and I think there are quite a few of us out there.

Thanks!
Old 12/06/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I dont have an answer, but have wondered same thing.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

yes that would be nice. i have never been to a meeting but it would be nice to meet some of you guys face to face intead of just on the net.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Jason, why don't you have a meeting and show off that new tank!!!
Old 12/12/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

I agree bnarc is a great club, however we need something a little closer to home!! am I over looking or is there only one LFS caring marine life?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

I think FishMan is the only one left. At least to my knowledge, it's the only one.

I'd love to open one, but I don't have the equity nor the financial padding if it would happen to tank.

I'd love to get CIMA going strong again and work together with BNARC as far as having some meetings together and such.

I joined CIMA right before the split, so I didn't get to meet anyone or attend any meetings, and like I said, it's hard for me to get to the Bloomington area for meetings.

Hopefully this thread will eventually get some more interested local folks.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

When cima and bnarc were together, it was called cima. There was a split- and I would not expect that to end any time soon. CIMA will either be reborn, a new champaign area club will be started- or nothing will happen here. I personally think that springfield and decatur should have plenty of people for a good club as it stands. I would also point out that bnarc has a site here on RC as well as their club site- since there is no relationship between the two clubs, issues relating to them are better raised there.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by syrinx
When cima and bnarc were together, it was called cima. There was a split- and I would not expect that to end any time soon. CIMA will either be reborn, a new champaign area club will be started- or nothing will happen here. I personally think that springfield and decatur should have plenty of people for a good club as it stands. I would also point out that bnarc has a site here on RC as well as their club site- since there is no relationship between the two clubs, issues relating to them are better raised there.
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I frequently cruise the BNARC and CIMA threads on RC as well as BNARC.com. I did know that when the two were combined they were called CIMA, but I wasn't involved in the split, nor do I care to know the details. All I know is that I've been treated equally from both sides to this point.

I guess I wasn't aware that some of the hard feelings were still there. Maybe a Springfield-Decatur club is a good idea. Especially since CIMA is/was more Champaign-Urbana based anyway. That's still 1.5 hours from Sfield.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I don`t have any ruffled feathers- I wasn`t involved in it either. I don`t agree with the new club using the cima site only because it causes problems sometimes. I don`t have hard feelings about anything- I just don`t agree with the ethics of the new club is all. I would consider going to a meting or two in spfld if you set it up- I have a few friends there that do reefs- and am going to help with a 700 over there soon.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Sounds good. I just posted a poll to see if anyone would be interested.

Like I said, I have never attended a meeting at either club, but I've been helped by both on the forums.

I think it'd be great to have a club for Sfield-Decatur, B-N, and C-U that could all work together as far as group buys, frag swaps, etc., but from your post, I guess that may not happen.

Maybe we'll see if we can get this thing rolling.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Since the spfld idea is not one of division, it would be a great addition! And I would always be ready to help.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I'm not big on controversy. It'd be great to have a club that was low stress, easy going, and just there to learn and have a good time.

I put the emphasis on working with BNARC to stress that I'm not trying to organize another split or anything. I just want something close to home that serves the same purpose.

I'm kind of excited to see if this takes off.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:15 PM
Why do I live in IL?

I can assure you that BNARC would have no problem with you forming your own club, and if anything we would support it. Actually this already happened once. The Juliet Area Reef Club was formed because they couldnt make it down to B/N all the time. We continue to invite them to all our events and they do participate from time to time. We would be happy to do the same for the springfield folks.

I would also point out that BNARC does not hold any hard feelings. We wanted to do things differently thats all. We have welcomed and continue to welcome any CIMA member into our club or at our meetings/events. So to say that we dont want to have relations with CIMA is simply incorrect. In fact probably a 1/3 of BNARC members were former CIMA members. The truth of the matter is that the folks that havent already joined BNARC, that were members of CIMA, likely never will. Anyway, hopefully that clears things up a tad. Hopefully one day CIMA will be back in full swing again and will be willing to intermingle, but at this point we cant even so much as get a leader of CIMA to talk to us. Unfortunate indeed......
Old 12/12/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dcombs44
I'm not big on controversy. It'd be great to have a club that was low stress, easy going, and just there to learn and have a good time.

I put the emphasis on working with BNARC to stress that I'm not trying to organize another split or anything. I just want something close to home that serves the same purpose.

I'm kind of excited to see if this takes off.
At the time a year ago or so there were people who didn't want BNARC and CIMA to ever do anything together. We were all for it, and have done events with CMAS, SLASH and JARC in the last 12 months. I think it's great when we can bring other clubs together as it only benefits the members.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brad23
At the time a year ago or so there were people who didn't want BNARC and CIMA to ever do anything together. We were all for it, and have done events with CMAS, SLASH and JARC in the last 12 months. I think it's great when we can bring other clubs together as it only benefits the members.
I was a new member to CIMA when it all went down and i think for the majority of the poulation of both the clubs could care less. it was just a seleted few that where on a power trip. one in perticular. I just can not do much with the club because i work on Sat. and live pretty far south of the majority of members. As an onloker before the club split it just seemed it was a little "clicky" I guess i am just a loaner. but all the people gave me a welth of info when i was setting up my first tank.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:44 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by panaboy95
but all the people gave me a welth of info when i was setting up my first tank.
Which is really what is most important in the end. It is really unfortunate all the things that happend, and I take my share of blame. I wish I could take back some things, but unfortunately I cant. Im hoping some other folks feel the same. At this point in time, 99% of the people in BNARC dont even know anything about what happend, nor do they care. Most of the club is actually made up of new members that have joined in the past 6 months or so, many of which arent from B/N. Anyway, I guess the point is, we have moved on. We dont harbor any ill will towards anyone, and I stress anyone. For those of you who live far away, unfortunately there is not much we can do about that, probably 3/4 of our meetings will be atleast semi-close to B/N. But if you ever feel the urge, come join us some month. You dont have to be a register member to come hang out and talk reefs.

Ideally CIMA will have somone step up and take the reins and get the club going again. There seems to be a fair amount of folks from C/U still into this stuff. This will mean alot more people will have a chance to make a meeting that live far away from B/N.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Like I've mentioned before, If we could get three clubs in the area functioning strong and working together, it could be pretty awesome. You have have that triangle of areas covered in Central Illinois, and then nearly everyone would have a close place to go.

Hopefully everyone can forgive and forget, but time will tell I suppose.

Tell everybody to vote in the poll on the RC BNARC Forum so we can see if this thing would be worth while.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

I think the rift would heal quite quickly once the groups finally seperate. When BNARC stops using CIMAs rc page, and starts using their own. The whole point of the split on their part was so they could stand on their own two and make a go of it. Once that actua;;y happens and they become a seprate club- then it wil be easier to reform here and try to form a relationship. There is no point for any BNARC issues or topics to be here.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:27 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

Quote:
Originally posted by syrinx
I think the rift would heal quite quickly once the groups finally seperate. When BNARC stops using CIMAs rc page, and starts using their own. The whole point of the split on their part was so they could stand on their own two and make a go of it. Once that actua;;y happens and they become a seprate club- then it wil be easier to reform here and try to form a relationship. There is no point for any BNARC issues or topics to be here.
Here we go again. Try to mend the wound and someone throws salt in it.

I am sorry but BNARC is standing on its own. We not only have a web page on RC but our own forum with almost 15,000 posts. We would love to mend and heal all wounds. It seems like a sellect few do not want this and thus the clubs will never come together. This is very sad, but not unexpected.

If you would really like to run for a office on BNARC then participate with out club or is that just another way to keep the distance between the two clubs?

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 12/13/2007, 01:29 PM
Guakamolian Nemesis

Before someone says something they might regret.

Thread is closed.

Carlos

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
Old 12/13/2007, 01:29 PM
RC Mod

Reef keeping is a hobby , not a competitive event, lets keep it that way by not bickering please.

Thanks and closed......