Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Sad when people always try to blame someone else

I received a pump from http://www.reeflopumps.com/ today and this is what it looked like.

I sent them this e-mail.

"I just received a Refurb. Hamerhead pump and it only was fastened to a piece of cardboard with plastic wrap and about one layer of bubble wrap put around it. As a result the pump suffered fatal damage. You can see the plastic parts of the output broken off. It also has a dent in the steel case for the start cap. The pump seals were loose in the bottom of the box. Due to the fact I only bought this pump for parts (the motor) I will keep the shipment. You will not stay in business very long shipping something this poorly. Good Luck your going to need it. "

This is the response I got back.

"David,
we are very sorry that UPS damaged your pump, thats the packaging that we use to ship over 15000 pump per year....it is curious that you seek to admonish us when it was the UPS that screwed up...we would be happy to help file a claim for damages..again I am sorry for your trouble.
Chris"

I've worked at a lot of small companies and as a result have to pack my own shipment and I can tell you I would have been fired for a packing job like that. These pumps are heavy. I think when I received my last pumps from azponds (4 total) they were in a double thick cardboard box and also had done a vertical wrap of several layers of cardboard around the pump so that you could not crush the outer box. That was a good packing job.

Its just the lack of concern the guy had that really got me.
Old 11/07/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Wow, it is really surprising they didn't package it better. I wonder if it is just because it was a refurbished pump? The new ones come in a nice box. That still is incredible. I would have thought they would have been more concerned that you received it in the condition you did.
Old 11/08/2007, 12:56 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

David.......it all comes down to giving a crap about the job you do !

I know that if more manufacturers, of any size, took personal responsibility and pride in the work they do....this sort of thing wouldn't happen !

I am reminded of a story of a gentleman that was in Germany, I believe, and had some trouble with his Rolls Royce. He made it to a hotel where he slept for the night and called to a dealership in the morning. They flew out a two mechanics with the necessary parts for the repair that day. His car was repaired and the technicians departed without giving him a bill. He didn't realize it at first but the next day called the dealership and asked for the billing department. He explained his situation and the receptionist asked him to hold briefly while she checked the records. She kept him on the line asking him if he was satisfied with the repair which he raved about saying it was driving like it was brand new again. Finally, she said I'm sorry sir...but we have no record of your vehicle being repaired recently. He protested....Surely there must be some sort of mistake ? I was in Germany and two mechanics flew out and repaired my Lady just yesterday. There must be a tremendous bill for the flight, and the parts and labor...?!

She replied...Sir I'm very sorry to tell you but we have NO RECORD of any Rolls Royce EVER breaking down. Sorry sir, is there anything else I can assist you with ?

Dedication to their product ! Plain and Simple !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 11/08/2007, 08:46 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Wow, that thing must have taken quite a beating to do damage like that. I think in this case they were both at fault. That was not a standard bump that pump took, it got smashed. Perhaps better packing would have helped, but UPS certainly should replace the pump.....
Old 11/09/2007, 04:59 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

UPS will not take responsibility if the packing will not protect the product. I know that reeflo does not pack there pumps like this because the one we had for the swap was in a box with foam inserts. the ones that form fit the pump in the box so it will not move. These are custom formed for each pump.

Did this come direct from reeflo or someone who remanufactures them?

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 11/09/2007, 06:04 PM
Moved On

UPS is terrible with shipping. I ordered a few PC cases for computers I was building and they both showed up damaged. When I called the manufacturer, they told me they think UPS plays football with them or something. I have a friend that I play poker with that works for UPS and he told me he would ship things through his own employer just because of the lack of concern they show to the packages they are sorting. Tossing them into piles while sorting them to ship was common place. Although it sounds like you just got crappy packaging from the get go. You were destined to receive broken goods from the sounds of it. Poor packaging and UPS are the tag team of destruction....
Old 11/09/2007, 06:06 PM
Moved On

WOULDNT SHIP THROUGH HIS OWN EMPLOYER... Not would.. sorry...
Old 11/10/2007, 10:58 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by hounddog01

Did this come direct from reeflo or someone who remanufactures them?
It was a refurb...