Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Diy surge maker

This is part of my diy surge maker. Its a toilet flapper mounted to a 2" bulkhead. The toilet flapper assemblies you get at the home stores seem really cheap like they might break so I built my own.

I have a motor on the way which will pull the chain to make it open.
Old 08/31/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Will be interested in seeing how this works. I saw a thread in the DIY forum that used something similar and he actually used two of the ball toilet floats to lift his flapper. Seemed to make a nice surge.
Old 09/01/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Wow that's a big plug, I remember you talking about this at the meet. Can't wait to see it in action.
Old 09/01/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Nice set-up. I have 2 questions.
1. On flapper-style surge maker, is there a lot of noise as it empties (i.e do they sound like a toilet flushing?)
2. If I wanted to set one up, would I have to use original potato chips like in the picture or could I use BBQ flavor?
Old 09/01/2007, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Use jalopenos it makes it where you should never have ick problems. I cant wait to see more on this looks interesting can you give us a link to learn more please.
Old 09/01/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Your not an engineer if you don't have a bag of potato chips on your bench. Any type will do.

Mine should not make any noise. I have it setup so that the water never fully drains from the 55G drum.
I have seen the ones that use the two floats and tried to do one like that with no luck. I think if I had more time to spend on it I might be able to get it to work but don’t have time to mess with it. So I going to just do an electronic one. I think a lot of my problems were that fact my drum is so tall and you get a lot more water pressure on the flapper.
Old 09/05/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

David,

just noticed, you need to change your profile location
to the Gulf of Villa Grove.

Lowell