Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 08/12/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Y wont my black ribbion eel eat

for some odd reason he will not eat i have tryed silver sides krill and mysa shrimp the krill and mysa are frozen cubes so what do u think he will eat????
Old 08/12/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

o and i forgot damsels but he looks at them swim by but dont budge
Old 08/12/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

o and i forgot damsels but he looks at them swim by, but dont budge
Old 08/12/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

You should have researched before your purchase... Ribbon Eels are NOTORIOUS for not eating in captivity
Old 08/12/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I think with 31 years of experience you should have known better than purchase a black ribbon eel.
As Doahh pointed out, most starve to death.

Good luck with your new purchase.
Old 08/12/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Here ya go, a website worth visiting before your next purchase, along with some info on black ribbon eels:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ribbonmorayeels.htm
Old 08/12/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

well see i dont have 31 year my uncle dose but hes at work all day and yes he told me that most ribbions dont eat but i still wanted to try it out see if anyone had any suggestions
Old 08/12/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

I heard from a person who's kept a couple ribbons that if you offer them dartfish, it's a sure fire way to get them to start eating. Dartfish as in firefish and stuff. Not saying it'll work for sure, but it worked for the person I was talking to.
Old 08/12/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

kool we have 6 firefish in the 120 im goin 2 sneak attack one from the side lol J/K my uncle would get mad hehe ill just say it died hahahaha j/k hmm hopefully it eats and dosent die from not eat at all y my fish boo hoo
Old 08/12/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

tell your uncle to THINK and do his research before he buys next time. these are living creatures, not plastic toys.

You can try the firefish but i dont see why they would be a whole lot better than the damsels. shrug. what else can i say? dont get too attached to him.
Old 08/12/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

They usually do better in groups and may start eating if you start a feeding frenzy of sorts, one guy whose kept one for longer than most has elaborate piping under the sand and rocks for it to hide in and got it to eat goldfish by throwing them down the tube. He stated it seemed to ignore food in front of it unless all the fish were fighting over it and there was a ton of food in the water column.
Old 08/12/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

"They usually do better in groups and may start eating if you start a feeding frenzy of sorts, one guy whose kept one for longer than most has elaborate piping under the sand and rocks for it to hide in and got it to eat goldfish by throwing them down the tube. He stated it seemed to ignore food in front of it unless all the fish were fighting over it and there was a ton of food in the water column."

Great, now he is going to buy more ribbon eels and instead of one dead eel he'll have a bunch of dead ones.
Old 08/13/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

yea i would nerver put a firefish in the tank that mean and we had black ribbion eels eat before just this one is just not doin well he swims around the tank so i dont know what wrong with him ill have to wait and see
Old 08/13/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I personally would try live ghost shrimp and/or thawed mussels/clams from the supermarket on a feeding rod.
Old 08/13/2007, 02:51 PM
Moved On

I kept a ribbon eel for a numbers of years a few years back. the trick I used to get mine to begin feeding was to put a piece of food in the tank floating down in the vicinity of the eel and using those extended food grippers I would grab the food in the water column. The eel got anxious each time because I imagine it looked like another eel type animal taking his food! So after a while the eel started going for the food as well because it must have "learned" that its food through watching the fake eel grab the food. Anyways it worked for me and my guy lived for about 5 years before he passed away. It might work for you.