Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)

Old 01/11/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Beerghia Nudibranch group order

Lets put an order together I just don't know where to get them from but I definetly want to get some so PM me on some order plans.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:49 AM
barnacle boy

ebay has them for 18bucks. i thought it was a joke. i emailed the guy he told me 18 bucks per nudibranch. i hope you guys can find them cheaper. im sure they must be.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Salty Underground has them for $15.00. Good price, if so lets get an order together
Old 01/11/2008, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

I'd be surprised if you guys haven't already considered this, but is there a reason you're not just going with peppermint shrimp? They're a lot cheaper and easier to find. I had a pretty bad aiptasia problem in my 75, and a few peppermint shrimp from etropicals cleared it up in about a month without touching my zoas or anything.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

I did not realize how expensive they are. Maybe I should try the shrimp first.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

i have 5 peppermint shrimps and have not done anything to them/ i will get in the order just let me know/ i have a very very bad infestation and need them fast
Old 01/11/2008, 08:52 AM
ghetto retro

just an fyi, you guys have to get the peppermints from the Caribbean. those are the ones that eat aiptasia, renisel bought them from etropicals and as we all know all the stuff on that site comes from that area.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

I got some peps from Sho Tank a while ago, I didn't have an aptaisa problem, but the ones I did have were gone in one night with 3 peps. Then my stupid 6 line ate the peps
Old 01/11/2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, as dohc said, not all peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia. From what I've been told, you need the wudermanni species--which is what is sold at eTropicals. They were something like $2.50 apiece including shipping (with a minimum order of $60 or so) as part of their build your own clean-up crew deal.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:22 PM
Male Gigolo

The problem I have seen is that the pepermint shrimp don't kill every aiptasia. I have had them in my tank several times now, they *visibly* clear out my tank with in a week. Then they would up getting eaten, die and when they disappeared my aptasia would come back with a vengance.

I also have a Devil fish in my tank, Im still not even sure if I can house a nudibranch. But I know I definitely cant have peppermint shrimp with the devilish.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Oblivionis,

Thinking the same thing. I think I might try adding several more pep shrimp to the tank and see if that doesn't help. If not, maybe in a couple of weeks when I catch up on the Christmas bills, I'll try the Nudibranch route again.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

fyi reeftopia has lettuce nudibranch for 7, prolly not what you want, but also pep shrimp for 2, just gotta order 24. plus if you can mustar a 100 you get free ship, i love that site.
Old 01/12/2008, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sellout007
The problem I have seen is that the pepermint shrimp don't kill every aiptasia. I have had them in my tank several times now, they *visibly* clear out my tank with in a week. Then they would up getting eaten, die and when they disappeared my aptasia would come back with a vengance.

I also have a Devil fish in my tank, Im still not even sure if I can house a nudibranch. But I know I definitely cant have peppermint shrimp with the devilish.
Yeah, I do still have a couple tiny aiptasia in my tank--but nothing like what I had before. I also don't have any predators, so my shrimp shouldn't go anywhere so long as I keep them well-fed.

Before I went with the peppermint shrimp, I gave a lot of consideration to nudis and, from what I read, I think your luck would be even worse with them than the shrimp. They're very small and slow (easy targets for predators) and they are easily swept up by strong currents. The best way to use them seems to be to put them in a separate quarantine tank and let them clean one rock at a time. This seemed like a lot more work than I wanted to put in, but I'm not sure you have any better options--except maybe periodically buying shrimp.