Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/07/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Faucet adapter for RO/DI

Do these adapters work only for threaded faucet heads? The only way to connect a RO/DI unit is through my kitchen sink, however my faucet has a "non threaded aerator", and doesnt have any threads to screw in the adapter.

Are there any devices that can go overtop the aerator, in my situation?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:51 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

The aerator should come off by unscrewing it, then you could screw the RO/DI adapter in.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

ive tried every way possible to unscrew it, but the thing only spings on some sort of ball bearing rotary device..makes me think that it wasnt meant to be removed?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

There is a pipe tap that taps/pierces directly into the copper water pipe. You could tap into the pipe under the sink if there is some exposed cold water piping to tap into. If not, I think there is an adapter that would allow you to thread onto the cold water valve under the sink.

Check with one of the RC sponsor dealers.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I looked into that, but my shut-off valve for my coldwater supply for some reason still releases water after shutting it off. (you need to turn it off completely to pierce the copper pipe?)

Ill order one anyway and ill see what i can do w/ the vavle. Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I dont know if you need to shut off the supply so that there is no pressure when installing the pipe tap. If you do, Im sure it would be ok if there was a little bit of water leaking as long as there isnt much water pressure. But the other type I was referring to was one that screwed onto the output of the small valve under the sink and then the water line to the sink screws onto that. Basically just a T, maybe with a valve for the RO. I am pretty sure they make those. If your valve didnt close off all the way you would just have a small leak until you got the fittings screwed on. If it leaks any worse than that it should be replaced anyway.

Whatever the case, one of the dealers will certainly have a solution for you.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:23 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

one option if the shut off valve doesnt close all the way is to shut off all water for the house/apartment/condo (what ever) put in the ro valve, fix the shut off valve and turn the water back on!