Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/26/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

chevron tangs

ok so i am vey interested in getting a chevron but i was told by my LFS(very reputable) that they are impossible to keep alive. he said that hes gotten a total of 6 shipped to him over the years and all 6 died within a week. he also said that barely anyone sells them because of that reason. what do you guys think?
Old 12/26/2007, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

I have never kept a Chevron but I don't think fish "just" die for some mysterious reason. Either they refuse to eat or through a lack of proper QT practices or any QT at all, they succumb to ich that is present in a tank.

I don't think any fish is impossible to keep alive. Given the right amount of research, experience and setup, I think someone could keep any fish alive.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

They are expensive and hard to find at times. The adult form is less colorfull than the juvenile,allthough in my opinion quite striking. They are delicate and almost always have parasites after shipping. this makes them high risk for the lfs. If you get one be prepared to qt and treat.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

My wife picked one up for a replacement for an Atlantic tang we lost after 2 yrs. They are expensive but she caught it at local store on a sale day and also had a email coupon so it was bought pretty cheap.
We had some issues getting it to eat in QT and was really timid in the tank.
After being able to get it to eat some flakes we went to pellets, Nori sheets and some frozen mix Formula one. We kept its food loaded with Selcon and added some garlic extract to it also once in awhile.
4 weeks in qt and it went in the large tank and eats anything you throw at it from nori to prepared foods to just grazing the tank picking at algae in there. Its no longer timid and comes right to the front when you go by.
I have heard good and bad on these guys when you first get them and like I said we had a time getting ours to eat at first. Once he got a food he would readily take we mixed others in and he gradually started with those too. He is getting fatter all the time and a joy to watch in the tank. His best tank cruising buddy is actually our 6 line wrasse. Its a funny pair to watch staying together all the time.

Here is ours a few days after he left QT and went in the big tank.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

I've kept a juv/adult Chevron in past aquariums and have found them to be a great fish. If water quality is not the best they'll let you know. They love flow and nori. I do know they ship hard and need a stress-free tank when they arrive at the dealers tank.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

I have kept a Chevron tang. He was my favorite fish in the tank. Always swimming and was a good eater. It did take a little while for him to start eating but once he took that first bite of food there was no going back for him. I had to give him away just due to I was taking down my tank but now its been up for a few years and hopefully I will be able to get one again
Old 12/26/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

would a 10g QT tank be too small for a juvenille chevron?

Last edited by cgarr017; 12/26/2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12/26/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

easier to keep than an achilles tang.

once they get useto thier environment, they are great fish, good luck
Old 12/26/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I HAVE HAD MANY IN MY SHOP AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS JUST HAVE TO GET THEM FROM A GOOD SORCE THEY GET SHIPPED GOOD.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:27 PM
El Jefe de WRS

A couple guys in WRS have had their chevron's for a while now... Paul Law's is huge, and jet black now. prugs has one as well, getting darker every time I see it. I agree, treat it like an achillies, there WILL BE parasites, and there WILL BE QT needed.

Other than that, I dont get why people like them so much. The juvi form is the one people like so much and other than that, they arent exactly the nicest tangs... they are bristletooth after all. They are expensive, hard to acclimate/adapt, and for what? A tang that turns black (okay, with sort of a pinstripe that is cool, but still).

Kind of like longnose/black sailfin tangs... Why would you pay $800 for something that has NO color at all... its just unique. I bet if it was $1500 and green like algae, people would want it too...lol.

Id suggest other tangs before this one. Mimics, for instance, are perhaps the most overlooked tangs in the whole industry.
Old 12/26/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

anyone have an adult chevron that can post a picture? every adult i have seen looks a little different and just want to see some more....
Old 12/27/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

In my experience they are relatively easy. Pricey, but easy. But be aware, they can be pretty aggressive.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 12/27/2007, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

It really depends on who they're buying it from. In the LFS that I work at, we order from several distributors, one company has yellow tangs that aren't worth a ****, but another wholesaler from Chicago has great yellow tangs.

Bottom line.....

Chevron tangs shouldn't be THAT delicate, your LFS just doesn't have a reliable source for them and knowing this I would strongly consider purchasing from another vendor if you purchase a Chevron tang at all.

That said, QT is a must for tangs, almost 3 out of 5 tangs that I've seen have had an acute parasitic infection, they are prone to viral illnesses, and bacterial infections that can affect the fish weeks after shipment.

Again beautiful as juveniles, but they turn completely black when they get older.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

BTW....

Yes a 10 gallon tank is going to be way too small for a QT for a Chevron even if he's only 2" size. He will just get stressed out and die from being cramped like that. Better off to go with a rubbermaid tub for QT if you haven't already bought a 20L-30gallon QT tank.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from Diver's Den, it is great so far. I read about them on wetwebmedia first and Bob Fenner thinks highly of them.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

i wanna see some adult pictures! people please post your adult chevrons
Old 12/27/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

FYI, I got an e mail today to let me know that slatwaterfish.com had them in stock and I ordered a juvenille.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Its a great fish and nowhere near as delicate as people may say. I got mine when it was about the size of a quarter. It was totally beaten up and had almost no dorsal fin and was missing a good chunk of tail due to other fish in the tank he was in at the store. My buddy let me take it for 50$ because it was in such bad shape. He has now more than doubled in size in just over 6 months and looks incredible. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a tang. IMO they r the nicest one out there and they dont get nearly as big as most tangs and mine is extremely peaceful. I haven't seen many pics of adults on RC though so i hope someone can post a pic of theirs. I like the adult coloration more than the juvi colors its very unique.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

I went to my LFS a couple hours ago and they had a nice adult Chevron Tang there. I was soooo close to buying it but I saw this incredible Powder Blue Tang. I just had to have the Powder Blue Tang. He is about 5 inches and I just got done acclimating and he is swimming all over the tank and is chowing down on some seaweed already. Sorry its a little off topic but I couldn't resist but Chevron Tangs are great fish and I would HIGHLY reccomend one. If I get another fish it will be a Chevron Tang they are amazing and I think the adult colors are pretty unique also.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

come on nobody has an adult chevron they can post a picture of???? please!!