Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Bloomington Normal Area Reef Club (BNARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Springfield-Decatur Area Reef Club?
I am from the Sfield-Decatur Area, and I would consider joining 8 40.00%
I am from the SField-Decatur Area, and I would NOT join. 1 5.00%
I am a BNARC member, and I would like to work with an Sfield-Decatur Area Club 10 50.00%
I am a BNARC member, and I would NOT be interest in a sister club in the Sfield-Decatur Area 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/15/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Yeah. I already tried that route, didn't work so much. That's when I decided throw around the possibilities of starting a new club. Plus, CIMA is more chambana based anyway.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Springfield and decatur are still a distance from champaign. Im already a member of BNARC and dont see how any other club could do as well as we have but if its something you want, I say go for it. I just wouldnt want to join another club that required driving a long distance to attend meetings.
I joined CIMA over a year ago and have got nothing from them as far as meetings or plans for meetings or anything. They just seem to be forum posters and I want more out of a club than posts on a forum. Maybe someone should try and revive CIMA. Get all the supposed CIMA members together and talk about reconstructing a working group.
It seems to me that the towns with reef clubs based in them also have LFS's that service their needes. I would love a lfs that carried alot of different coral. The lfs here just has the basics. Maybe they would start to increase their stock of corals if they knew there was a functioning group here in town. Or maybe we could get JOHNNYS REEF EXPERIENCE tostart a branch store here in Champaign. Now that would be toooo sweeeeet.......
Old 12/15/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fatheadfisheye
Springfield and decatur are still a distance from champaign. Im already a member of BNARC and dont see how any other club could do as well as we have but if its something you want, I say go for it. I just wouldnt want to join another club that required driving a long distance to attend meetings.
I joined CIMA over a year ago and have got nothing from them as far as meetings or plans for meetings or anything. They just seem to be forum posters and I want more out of a club than posts on a forum. Maybe someone should try and revive CIMA. Get all the supposed CIMA members together and talk about reconstructing a working group.
It seems to me that the towns with reef clubs based in them also have LFS's that service their needes. I would love a lfs that carried alot of different coral. The lfs here just has the basics. Maybe they would start to increase their stock of corals if they knew there was a functioning group here in town. Or maybe we could get JOHNNYS REEF EXPERIENCE tostart a branch store here in Champaign. Now that would be toooo sweeeeet.......
yes spfld & decatur are still an hours drive from champaign which is one of the points in spfld having a club. I agree BNARC is a great club, group of ppl and well organized. To say that another club could not do as well is a little crappy IMO....

JMO.....for those of us who wanta club in SPFLD & DECATUR to revive CIMA would be like you driving here to support the club, CIMA was based over an hour from CENTRAL IL (spfld decatur wise). Your there help revive your towns reef club. so that if CIMA & BNARC could get along we could work on things together like swaps & such....

Last edited by LoweJ82; 12/15/2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I've been following the thread about starting a club in your area and I say "go for it" if you are willing to put all the work and effort that it would take to get a club going.

In my opinion, BNARC has been exceptional in it's support and growth and consistant presence, and in the same, it may appear easy to replicate. We were very fortunate that from the beginning, the BOD and others have been consistant, supporting and inviting to everyone. Meetings have been organized for most months, a website went up and was well received and utilized, and the BNARC club members have been very supportive in sharing information, skills etc. , as well as organizing and holding a very nice frag swap in their (our) first year.

I too joined CIMA at one time, before the split. I intended to continue to be a member of both clubs, however, CIMA has only had one meeting that I am aware of in the last year, and that was held by Medic. From what I see, those CIMA members that were interested joined BNARC, and the others just frequent the RC boards. I stopped any kind of posting on CIMA because they interrpret it as being on their turf and it is most unwelcome. I would not hold my breath on a relationship between the two clubs as it now stands. So be it.

As far as the distance......I am 90 miles from B/N and find it worth the trip every single time I've attended a meeting or event. The closest (known) reefer to me is 23 miles away with meetings for that group (GIRS) minimum 50 miles away, depending where in Iowa. Making the drive once a month is not a big deal to me and I usually need something from JRE so it's all good.

I hope that you can bring together your group and get things going. The more reefers, the better!
Old 12/16/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

the group now is @ 5ppl, Once we fiigure out what the club will be called we will have a club forum to base out of for now !! I myself dont care what its called, its not the name that makes the club, its the people within the club that make it. I like the Central Illinois Reef Builders (CIRB) whats everyone else think?
Old 12/16/2007, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

I'd say go for it. Are you going to get a forum here on RC?? It would be nice if you did.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Dcombs44 is looking into it here @ RC, we have been offered a forum @ ************** also. over @ reefbuilders we can pretty much have a Club site @ a low cost once we get rollin or a free forum. No one has chimed in lately on any club names I agree with hurbis that it needs to define what springpatch we speak of, I think that something with CENTRAL ILLINOIS would fit best, if knowbody has a complaint I will foward club name as (CIRB) Central Illinois Reef Builders to get the forum up and going.

if we was to get far enough to need our own site we could easily have www.centralillinois.reefbuilders.com EXAMPLE another club this site has helped out www.newengland.reefbuilders.com.......How a club site could look with our own touches...
Old 12/16/2007, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Name sounds good to me...
Old 12/17/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

hmm, I could be losing my mind here.....I dont think that I put the little stars up should I have not said that site?
Old 12/17/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LoweJ82
Dcombs44 is looking into it here @ RC, we have been offered a forum @ ************** also. over @ reefbuilders we can pretty much have a Club site @ a low cost once we get rollin or a free forum. No one has chimed in lately on any club names I agree with hurbis that it needs to define what springpatch we speak of, I think that something with CENTRAL ILLINOIS would fit best, if knowbody has a complaint I will foward club name as (CIRB) Central Illinois Reef Builders to get the forum up and going.

if we was to get far enough to need our own site we could easily have www.centralillinois.reefbuilders.com EXAMPLE another club this site has helped out www.newengland.reefbuilders.com.......How a club site could look with our own touches...
bad link that example site was www.newengland.reefbuilders.com
Old 12/17/2007, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

It was probably edited by one of the mods....sometimes they get sticky about mentioning other sites. Discussions in reference to that type of info is probably best done via e-mail to all interested.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:58 AM
Coral is a New Mom!

Quote:
Originally posted by LoweJ82
JMO.....for those of us who wanta club in SPFLD & DECATUR to revive CIMA would be like you driving here to support the club, CIMA was based over an hour from CENTRAL IL (spfld decatur wise). Your there help revive your towns reef club. so that if CIMA & BNARC could get along we could work on things together like swaps & such....
Does adding Central Il in your title really define a Springfield/Decatur reef club. I think you should use that in the name to let everyone know where your from.

I like the idea of working together, Just not sure what you mean by swaps. If your talking about having a joint meeting an conduct a swap between clubs then that would be a great idea. Although our frag swap is to raise funds for the club and I do not see a joint effort with that one.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 12/17/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

more less between the two clubs, With joint meets every few months with Trades between club members.

its still early,,,, Central IL I guess doesnt really define spfld~Decatur however it does define the area of il we will be from and sounds a little more welcoming to those in the small towns around and between the 2 citys. Do you have a suggestion? Springfield Decatur Area Reef Builders?
Old 12/17/2007, 11:21 AM
Coral is a New Mom!

I do like the reef builders. I just thought you wanted to be more defined for your area.

Socrates
Old 12/17/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Ok I just miss understood you, Body was movin brain was still sleepin.

I think I will get it started as this...

"Springfield Decatur Illinois Reef Builders" thanks Dcombs44

Last edited by LoweJ82; 12/17/2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:22 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

That sounds like a great name.

Socrates
Old 12/17/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

The Forum Is up!!!! please stop by and drop a line,

http://www.reefbuilders.com/forums/s...uilders-sdirb/ or you can go to www.reefbuilders.com and forum scroll down. There is a site referal contest going on who ever refers the most ppl....... sign up put my name in as a referal IF I win I would get 3 $50 gift cards ($150 total) to online coral stores!!! Which I will toss all names of those who come to the clubs first meet in a hat and give 1 out to 3 ppl or something close to this to make it more fun. When we have one which we are hoping for next month....contest runs till jan 17th...Dont have to post just SIGN UP!!!

http://www.reefbuilders.com/forums/c...html#post61131

So this is one way you can help us out w/o gettingin your pockets, just 5 min of your time to sign up. Remeber please use my username LOWEJ82 as a referal to help out SDIRC!!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Hi all. If you are interested in being notified of the launch of the new RC club forum for the Springfield-Decatur, Illinois Reef Builders, PM me with your email address.

The Mods have asked for a list of address to send notifications to upon the launch of the forum.

Thanks!