Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Well Tattooreef, that is a LONG tank. I Love it and it looks freakin awesome. Im not a big open water fan, but you really pulled it off. Love the detail work on the stand. But i do have to ask, how did you get the wife to sign off on the costs?
Old 11/16/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

llewoh05 well the wife doesnt have too much to say about the way i spend my money, as i dont with hers either, we have found that keeping our finances seperate avoids any fights about it and she actually loves it and smiles when i talk of going bigger one day, and just laughs at how much i actuly do spend.
nynex i agree that some silicone spots on mine werent the best looking but they are definatly strong, and cleaned up fine.
ckprax thank you for the compliment and i am not normally a huge fan of open wter either but for the amount of fish i wanted, and also believe it or not there is about 560 lbs of rock and 750lbs of sand in the display alone. and thank both of you guys for compliments on the stand and canopy i designed to mimic old world carpentry and then it took my self a close friend (that is a contractor) and two of his crew almost a week to build.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

looking good, can't wait to see it with more fish. Love all that swim room
Old 11/16/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I am pleased with my glass cages tank. The seams look pretty good. I think they are pretty fair for the price.

That is a nasty eel. AUghhgg.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/17/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

yeah erics i know it was crazy. but thats just my luck! lol. and trust me ever since then my little skimmer has been humping overtime and it has been nasty! and yeah i totally agree with you about GC. i did receive my corals from reefermadness yesterday and have to say that they look phenominal i am nuhting but pleased with them except that they advertised the big samoensis i bought at 7.5 inches and it was a little under 7 and it looked like it had a fresh cutting taken off of it. but oh wellthe color is great and it is a healthy peice and looks good where i had taken some of the other stuff out of the tank.
Old 11/17/2007, 01:49 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

I guess I need to come by and take some new pics! We need to sit down and look at skimmer options as well.
Old 11/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

yes jeremy i agree, i am thinking HUGE skimmer. thats what i want for christmas! lol.
Old 11/21/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

well just for updates i bought an E.T.S.S. commercial skimmer, it is the 1400 i beleive and it stands a little over 4 ft tall and will be running it with a german style iwaki high pressure pump. also i will be switching the barracuda on the closed loop to a hammerhead over the weekend and also adding VHO actinic suplementle so i do have a busy weekend ahead of me
Old 11/21/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah and i will be cutting into the closed loop to add some more outlets , how many i am not sure me and jeremy are still arguing over that lol. and we will post pics friday or monday .
Old 11/21/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Cant wait to see that skimmer

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/23/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

well i switched the pumps out and will be switching back to the berracuda for now as the hammerhead was too noisy for me as i am used to a completely silent tank in the display room, i think the pump may have been an older model or something. and also i got skimmer all plumbed in wich was a chore considering i had to drain 1 of the 2 sumps cut a new hole for a new bulkhead plumb it all in and let everything cure for the night and tonight i will refill the sump and turn it on for the first time. im all excited lol. i will post pics soon
Old 11/23/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/23/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

not the greatest pics in the world but hey they came off my phone we will get some better ones soon, once it is up and running and producing some skimmate
Old 11/27/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

just an up date the new skimmer is broke in and kicking some serious a** .i absolutely love it but one day will upgrade to one of spazz's volcano skimmers. other than that everything is doing great with the exception of the large acro i bought from reefermadness it croaked but they were awesome about giving credit for it though those guys are incredibly nice and professional
Old 12/05/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

ok everyone with sps dominated tanks that tune in to this thread i am now having what i consider a big problem. as i last posted the large samoensis i purchased from reefermadness died and now a little more than a week later i have lost my other samoensis and am losing another nice acro that i have had for quite some time. my water parameters are absolutely perfect,and am now considering taking drastic measures and doing lugols dips on anything that doesnt look quite right, opinions , recomendations would be appreciated.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Is that one of them there 55 gallon tanks they got a wal mart?
Old 12/06/2007, 01:44 AM
DIY Junkie

Try posting over in the SPS forum...soryy I don;t have any advice. Have you checked for redbugs or AEFW?
Old 12/06/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

sloburn no its not from walmart. its a 40 breeder from a yard sale! lol.
JCTewks thanks i will definately try that , and yes i checked for red bugs, none at all and what is AEFW?
Old 12/06/2007, 02:58 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

AEFW, Acropora eating flatworms.

FWIW< I have never seen either in your system. Trust me, I look and I'd let you know!
Old 12/06/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

i know you would jeremy. thats why you are one of the few people i let touch my tanks. i did start a thread on the sps forum about this as well, so far no hits but i am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I also bought a Glass Cages tank and was happy with it. The silicone job was fine. Not to mention I know several local reefers with them that are also happy. Great Tank!
Old 12/06/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

thanks rayallen i always love to hear what people think of my system
Old 12/13/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

not much to update right now, except i will be adding a frag tank into my sump room this weekend it will be a 30 breeder that we drilled 2 holes into last night. i went with that tank for the fact that i dont plan on needing too much space for frags and the footprint of the tank is almost the perfect size for what i want , i also set up a quarantine tank last night to house the couple new large acroporas, and the 22 peice frag pack the were ordered from reefermadness yesterday and arrived this morning i will post pics of the new corals in the quarantine system either tonight or tomorrow and will post some updated shots of the sump room this weekend or the beginning of the week.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

quarantine

these things are why i dont have as much time as id like for the tank, building these from scratch is very time consuming
Old 12/19/2007, 08:56 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Nice bikes!

Cool frag tank too!