Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Any ideas as to what this is?

Good afternoon. I've got a couple of clams in my tank. The last one was added close to a year ago and both have been doing well. This morning I was looking at the tank through the side glass and noted something on the backside of one of the clams, down near the sand, directly by its foot. I have no idea what this is, it looks like an old shaving brush. I tool a couple of pics and will try to upload them below.

This may be completely normal, but I have not seen this before. Bot of my clams are sitting on a half shell. This larger one is kind of sitting on the end of the shell and it almost appears like the edge of the shell is up inside the foot. I didn't get any pics of that because I couldn't have my hand in the tank and take pics at the same time.

Some more pics....

I just wanted to make sure everything is okay; what this thing is; and if needed to do something before the clam shows any signs of damage.

Please let me know what you think.
Old 11/08/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

its the attachment threads of the clam (bassil filiments or something spelled correctly). Newly collected or moved clams often have these damaged- it can heal or become infected depending on the the value and desirability of the clam.
Old 11/08/2007, 06:46 PM
Moved On

Ive seen it twice now. Both times coming from near one of my clams but isnt attached to the clam. Its blown around a bit by current and then disappears. Both my clams look great though with ni signs of any problems.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

It kind of looks like a coco worm of sorts. Not real sure though.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

This is the response I got from Clams Direct:

hi medic29 welcome to ClamsDirect forums

what you are seeing is the clams byssal threads. the byssal gland secretes these and they hold the clam in place. clams can release them and regrow them. its not anything to worry about.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

spellcheck showoff!
Old 11/09/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm... I have to say they are byssal threads...

(Step 1 to sounding like an expert....wait until someone else posts the answer and then concur with it....)