Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

strange itchy bumps on skin

i was in my tank moving corals around and pulling off hydroids on monday after work. was in the tank for probably 20-30 minutes or so and brushed up against all kinds of things (corals, rock, micro life). at one point i remember feeling a stinging sensation on the underside of my right forearm, but didn't think much of it.

ever since, i've had these little itchy red dots that look a rash on my forearm. any idea what this could be from???

Old 07/20/2007, 01:31 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

He's only giving part of the story - he get's around you know - working at one lfs, and then another - it was bound to happen
Old 07/20/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

oh noes!!! maybe it's the coral herpes david referenced! http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1151919

lol
Old 07/20/2007, 01:36 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oh, and don't forget tank maintenance....he's "reef-easy".
Old 07/20/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

BEN
Try putting vinegar on it. I had the same thing when I move some rock from Henry into my tank. Worked pretty good. Mine itched like crazy. Good Luck
Dave
Old 07/20/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

thanks...i'll give that a whirl. someone else suggested calomine (sp?) lotion. i'll try both.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

If the bumps are from a "sting" the vinegar can help, but usually it needs to be done very quickly. Once the toxin is in the skin the topical application success is limited. Other immediate tricks are using dilute bleach OR dilute ammonia (both denature the protein of the toxin) However DO NOT MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA!!!

Benny, in your case, I would go with a hydrocortisone cream as that may help reduce the redness/itchyness etc. Calamine lotion might help too as it will help to dry it out.
Old 07/20/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

You're going to die.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:12 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

LOL I was going to say something about the Herpes too.

I agree with Brad, you are going to die. Can I have your tank?

I have had this happen to me, but not as bad as it is on you. I got some bumps on the tops of my fingers. It happened to me when I brushed up against two particular corals. One is a given, a Fire Coral of the Millipora genus. It also happens when I brush up against my Frogspawn (Euphyllia divisa). Other Euphyllia species may have the same effect, I don't know. As you know, they have some pretty powerful nematocysts.

It will itch until it goes away, and if you itch too much it will puss clear liquid. It can take quite a while to go away, especially if you keep putting your arm in the tank and if you get stung again (obviously). I don't have a time frame for you, but when I get stung it lasts at least a week. I usually keep putting my hand in the tank and keep getting stung, so it typically lasts longer than a week on me .

Last edited by saltyseaman; 07/20/2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:22 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Oh, and I've never tried any creams or anything, so I can't comment on that. I just wait until it's gone, and typically forget I even have it until one day I notice that I did have it and now it's gone.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

So Ben you had to " work late " last night?

Dont scratch it. You"ll make it last longer.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I used to get the same reaction every time I put my hand in the tank - even if it was not near rocks or anything. Though it is dorky, I now usually use either a latex glove or those arm-bag type gloves that go up to your armpit. They are hard to work with if you need to do delicate work b/c they don't allow for great dexterity or tactile sensitivity, but it's better than itching for days after doing any maintenance. JME.
Old 07/20/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Do you recall how much time passed for the rash to develop after you finished in your tank (Monday)? Is it on both arms (assuming they were both submerged) or only the one in the that was in the tank?

From the picture it appeas to be a typical Contact Dermatitis; that could have a number of causes. It should resolve itself within a week. Avoid scratching it, exposing the region to extreme temperatures, waering constricting/abrasive clothing and use hydrocortisone cream (1%) to reduce the inflammation.

If it appears to be worsening (itchier, redder, spreading over your forearm) then see your primary care for stronger treatment.
Old 07/20/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Well...hmmmm

You can use all of the above, if you do go with the Calamine lotion, do not use Caladryl, it can cause a sensitivity to benadryl. Speaking of Benadryl, you can take some of that or another antihistamine such as Claritan...obiviously use generics. The antihistamines will take the itch away. Be cautious though, benadryl will cause drousiness; if you take it during the evening you will sleep well.

I agree with Vitaly, it is contact dermatitis. I've gotten this a few times while working in my tank. Washing it with soap and water and some Benadryl and all is well.
Old 07/20/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

thanks everyone! it does itch, but i'm not itching it. if i were my wife i'd have a hole dug in my arm by now. she's the picker/scrather - not i.

i noticed a red area shortly after being in the tank. it itched pretty soon thereafter and i noticed the bumps late the next evening.

it's strange - i did have both arms in the tank, but it's only on the right arm. aside from my own tank i have handled huge quantities of liverock and corals and have never had this happen before!

very rarely do i stick my hands in the display. yet another reason just to leave well enough alone!
Old 07/20/2007, 11:50 PM
Flea Slide

It could be some toxin, it could be an alergic reaction but whatever you do do not scratch it. It sent me to the hospital for four days with a nasty infection into my blood.
It could be nothing but please take it seriously, there has been new cases of vibrio infections (very life threathening) around so you want to consult with your doctor.
Old 07/21/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

i seem to get the same thing when my arm rests or brushes up against the top trim on the tank. i think its from all the dried salt touching wet skin. usually itches or burns, but goes away in a day or 2.
Old 07/21/2007, 12:04 PM
Moved On

I think I saw the same thing on CSI.. I got first dibs on the first spider to climb out of his arm.. I think Ill name him Mr. Bungles or something catchy like that..
Old 07/21/2007, 12:06 PM
Moved On

I forgot to mention.. Dont be rubbing that arm on my pokerstar no matter how strong the desire to do so is.
Old 07/21/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I have had similar situations in both fresh and salt- although the symptoms are most likely the same from diffrent irritants. I also agree with the dried salt being ground into the arm when rearanging can cause this. And one must expect that the dried salt prob has some other irritants present also. My onset time for that kind of situation is usally within 20 minutes. Longest it has lasted was a couple days, but usually within hours its forgotton. I have quite sensitive skin, as well as many allergies- but also (lucky for me) a real high tolorance for being able to ignore itching and pain. Unless it is a specific sting, it will go away of its own volitian, as long as you don`t scratch and cause a secondary infection. There are many crystal like corals on live rock that will hurt, as well as bristleorms- easy to tell if that is a issue because you will see fibreglass looking threads around the wounds- unless the have been scratched away (while the tips remain).
Old 07/23/2007, 06:39 PM
Team RC Member

I have had a similar reaction after cleaning a tank that had lots of cyanobacteria/euglenoids growing as a film on the water's surface (it was a very dirty tank). The stuff stuck to my arm and everywhere it was turned red and got bumpy as in your picture.
Old 07/24/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

I would frag the red bumpy part and hope the rest lives/grows back.

Last edited by badbu68; 07/24/2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07/25/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

these stupid things are still hanging on. it's been a week and a couple of days now. think it's worth an office visit? i have a feeling the doc would just tell me what's been said here.

"yup - you've got a rash."
Old 07/25/2007, 09:18 AM
Coral is a New Mom!

I have the same thing on my ankle after being in the Gulf of Mexico for a week. Must be the water! LOL.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 07/25/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Ben,

Have you tried using an anti-inflammatory topical creams? Assuming the rash has not gotten worse (spread, exudation, etc) and that you have not developed any new symptoms, I would suspect that an office visit would most likely result in a prescription for a medium strength (~10%) hydrocortisone cream. I believe that the over-the-counter brands are about 1%. It may be more prudent to try that first for a few days.

However, if you have good coverage/low copay...there would be no harm in seeing your primary care physician. If you do not have coverage, see if there are any walk-in clinics in your area. The med students here run a free walk-in clinic twice a week in Urbana.