Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

auto top off need help PLZ

im planning a build for a nano but with a sump about 3 times the size, due to evap i want to make this take as self sufficient as i can cause its for my younger sister.ive read and thought about auto top offs for a while and everyone says its a matter of when-not-if it will stay in the 'on' position.is there any sure way to put an auto top off in without the risk of salinity going to hell im putting a drain in the highest part of the sump with a drain line to outside so nothing will ever flood. this is going to be a heavy invert tank so im thinking of scrapping the thing all together if i cant get 1 working 100% sleep easy at night, hopefully breed some scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp cause they are just way to expensive over here 120-140 EACH...
Old 01/04/2008, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

You can use two float sensores, one to turn the pump on when the water level gets low and another as a safety if the water gets too high.

I made a DIY ATO for about $10. It's been running for over 4 months and works perfect. If you want more details let me know, i'm happy to help.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

I have had a great experience with my tsunami AT-1 it is reall simple and the switch is activated by a vacuum being broken, and the re-established when the water level rises again. It sounded kinda fishy (NPI) at first, but it has always worked as advertised, and is very reasonably priced.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

oh, and you can find them at
www.championlighting.com
Old 01/04/2008, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

whtupdo do you have some pics of your auto top off i have been interested in setting one up too
Old 01/07/2008, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Here are some pics of my set up, it works great.

Here is the float sensor. I used a knot in the cord to set the depth and a bic pen to keep tension on the wire. I also have the sensor housed in a 1" (i think) PVC cap.

Here is the Azoo air pump wraped in a towel, they get pretty loud unless it's wrapped up. I don't even hear it come on now.

This is my resivior tank, a 1 gallon gatoraid jug. It lasts about a week this time of year.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

looks simple enough, where did you get the float sensor
Old 01/08/2008, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

I bought this one at http://www.floatswitches.net/

You can also get them at Newark.com, just do a search for "float sensor".
Old 01/08/2008, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

The only thing to keep in mind is if you decide to use a PVC cap around the float sensor you need to drill vent holes in it. Without the vent holes a bubble will form in the cap and the float sensor will not float. Other than that, it is very easy to do.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

You can put your ATO on a timer so it will only run for about 10 minutes at a time.