Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/14/2007, 07:31 PM
I am a super nose picker

you are not slow its all that heavy gun fire thats making you crazy.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

No actually what's making me crazy is being here and not firing my guns.... I miss my Paladin.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

I set the lights up 6 years ago. Played around with different bulb combinations. Now I'm running 20K Radiums. the VHO's are actinic and the PC's are split with the blue/pink actinic and 10K daylight.. Those are in the front where I grow some LPS and A yellow Tonga leather that has grown from a few inches to be about 16' across. I had tried to vary as much light spectrum as possible. Seems to work well and I like the color it achieves. Works well until I have to replace every 8 months for 750.00. And yes the PC"s are on first and off last and the Halides are staggered..
Old 12/14/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

I threw this together today, but now I will have to change it, because the builder will not put that many holes in the bottom of the tank..

I know it's hard to tell, but the holes labed B are on the bottom, D is drain and S is the side or back
This is
what I had invisioned for flow, using 4x4 way oceansmotions (two for the bottom and one for the back glass

Now I have to come up with something else....
Old 12/14/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Harleyguy
I agree, my last car was an 06 C6 Vette, I loved it, but I'll love the tank more....
My Grocery Getter!!!!!

Old 12/14/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Harleyguy, what are you going to keep in that swimming pool???

I have a 97 softail that I put way to much money into.... Maybe I could put it in a large reef, ever been done before????
Old 12/14/2007, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
My Grocery Getter!!!!!

I love the Bugatti, anf if I had to chose between my little tank and a 1.4 million dollar car..... I think I would go with the car... Please don't hate me....
Old 12/14/2007, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Harleyguy, what are you going to keep in that swimming pool???

I have a 97 softail that I put way to much money into.... Maybe I could put it in a large reef, ever been done before????
If I had everything I put in this one my tank would be way done...
Old 12/14/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I agree with an earlier comment about car options. Go with an '03 -'04 Cobra and boost the heck out of it. I've always had a mustang until the wife got sick of seeing me in the garage all the time. I finally bought a nice "family car" - '07 Volvo S60R and when it's paid off in a couple years, I'm picking up an '03-'04 Cobra and adding twin turbos'. Check out Hellion Turbo Systems latest kit for this engine - unreal! Vipers just never did it for me. For that money, I'd get a Z06 or 911.

But, you made the right decision. I'm in the beginning stages of building a large reef as well and I wouldn't trade it for another car for a second.

I also recommend the Euro mini split A/C units. I plan to install one in my tank room which will also be located in the basement. Seems like a reasonably priced unit can be had for around $1k precharged with refrigerant.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

@ HarleyGuy..

I'm in Athens and I have a buddy whose got some relatives in Clarksville. I'm sure he'd be happy to come along too.

Seriously though, I'll be happy to come help out..provided I have the time when the time comes. But for something this cool.. I think I can make the time.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Still look into the A.G.E. Aquariums! They could easily put that many holes into the bottom without compromising the structure. You've put a lot of thought into this, it'd be a shame to compromise now.

I'll try and come out with a website.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattsfishes84
@ HarleyGuy..

I'm in Athens and I have a buddy whose got some relatives in Clarksville. I'm sure he'd be happy to come along too.

Seriously though, I'll be happy to come help out..provided I have the time when the time comes. But for something this cool.. I think I can make the time.
Trust me when I get home you will be welcome any time to come over and help
Old 12/15/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

I'm still trying to come to grasps with how I'm going to plumb this thing so that I can get good flow with as little plumbing as possible showing.

Anyone have any recommendations on how much flow I should have in the tank? 4000, 5000, 8000 gph? In my last tank (a 220) I used 2 Iwaki MD-40RT pumps for flow and it was too much flow, I never was very happy with the patterns and I was always blowing sand off of the bottom of the tank. I don’t want these types of problems again.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

I cant remember but I saw a new gt40 that they pulled off the supercharger and dropped a couple of turbos on it. He was running about 650 still tunning wit the base motor.

Yhis is going to be on e heck of a dream tank..Congrattss
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldtimer
I agree with an earlier comment about car options. Go with an '03 -'04 Cobra and boost the heck out of it. I've always had a mustang until the wife got sick of seeing me in the garage all the time. I finally bought a nice "family car" - '07 Volvo S60R and when it's paid off in a couple years, I'm picking up an '03-'04 Cobra and adding twin turbos'. Check out Hellion Turbo Systems latest kit for this engine - unreal! Vipers just never did it for me. For that money, I'd get a Z06 or 911.

But, you made the right decision. I'm in the beginning stages of building a large reef as well and I wouldn't trade it for another car for a second.

I also recommend the Euro mini split A/C units. I plan to install one in my tank room which will also be located in the basement. Seems like a reasonably priced unit can be had for around $1k precharged with refrigerant.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/16/2007, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deadatbirth
i mean dont get me wrong, i love my reef tanks, but turning down a $84k+ car to get a 1100 gallon tank, doesnt make sense to me.
id love to have a 1100 gallon tank, but id rather have a 600hp car...especially after my tour in Iraq.
I served in Iraq from FEB04 to MAR05 as an Infantry Platoon Leader with 2-2 IN / 3BDE / 1 ID.

I can't really speak for any other Iraq vets, but I don't enjoy driving fast cars or anything that gives me an adrenaline rush like I used to before I went to Iraq. Driving fast (or anything else that gets my adrenaline going) puts me back into my "Iraq mode" and I kind of start to bug out about a lot of things. It's the last thing I want to intentionally do to myself. Getting a fish tank and just mellowing out for a while is the best thing I could have done for myself.

I came back from Iraq in 2005 and I spent a huge ammount of my Iraq money restoring my '79 Corvette. I did a body-off restoration, rebuilt the transmission myself, and installed a 465 HP engine into it. I finally got it on the road after about two years of work this August. I drove it about 40 miles on the Autobahn from Nuremburg to my house after getting the brand new engine tuned up. I parked it in front of my house, put a for sale sign on it, and I haven't driven it since. I got out of the Army earlier on 31 OCT and moved back to the US. I didn't manage to sell the Corvette before I left Germany so I shipped it back to where I'm going to be living. I'm currently planning to just keep it in my garage for a few years until I feel like driving it again. I'm hoping that I'll be able to enjoy it like I used to before I went to Iraq some point in the future.

In short, spending my money on my car was a huge mistake. I will probably never truly enjoy it.

Combat does and those sorts of experiences can do some weird things to you. Getting the fish tank will be a great move for you mentally. It will give you something to focus on instead of the war and your memories and it will be relaxing just to sit in front of.

I'm willing to bet that everyone else who is "hating" on you for not being a Marine or for not getting the Viper or whatever has never been to Iraq and has never experienced real combat.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by victor_c3
I served in Iraq from FEB04 to MAR05 as an Infantry Platoon Leader with 2-2 IN / 3BDE / 1 ID.

I can't really speak for any other Iraq vets, but I don't enjoy driving fast cars or anything that gives me an adrenaline rush like I used to before I went to Iraq. Driving fast (or anything else that gets my adrenaline going) puts me back into my "Iraq mode" and I kind of start to bug out about a lot of things. It's the last thing I want to intentionally do to myself. Getting a fish tank and just mellowing out for a while is the best thing I could have done for myself.

I came back from Iraq in 2005 and I spent a huge ammount of my Iraq money restoring my '79 Corvette. I did a body-off restoration, rebuilt the transmission myself, and installed a 465 HP engine into it. I finally got it on the road after about two years of work this August. I drove it about 40 miles on the Autobahn from Nuremburg to my house after getting the brand new engine tuned up. I parked it in front of my house, put a for sale sign on it, and I haven't driven it since. I got out of the Army earlier on 31 OCT and moved back to the US. I didn't manage to sell the Corvette before I left Germany so I shipped it back to where I'm going to be living. I'm currently planning to just keep it in my garage for a few years until I feel like driving it again. I'm hoping that I'll be able to enjoy it like I used to before I went to Iraq some point in the future.

In short, spending my money on my car was a huge mistake. I will probably never truly enjoy it.

Combat does and those sorts of experiences can do some weird things to you. Getting the fish tank will be a great move for you mentally. It will give you something to focus on instead of the war and your memories and it will be relaxing just to sit in front of.

I'm willing to bet that everyone else who is "hating" on you for not being a Marine or for not getting the Viper or whatever has never been to Iraq and has never experienced real combat.
I REALLY understand what you’re saying, and I'm sure I'm making the correct decision. One of my main goals when I get home is to spend as much time at home with the wife and kids as I can, and I think this is the way to make that happen....

On a side note I'm not a Marine, I'm a Grunt "ARMY STRONG"
Old 12/16/2007, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Anyone have a recommendation of flow? Gph or how to set this up without drilling the bottom of the tank?
Old 12/16/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

I am going to use 4 - Tunze 6301's (8000 gph max each). They are a little spendy, but are fully progammable.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

I just don't like the look of the Tunze's... So big and bulky...I would prefer having heavy returns with a closed loop or two.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Well you can hide them pretty easily if you aquascape around them. Closed loops with a Dart and an OM-4way work well too.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

For a mixed reef what kind of flow should I be looking for? Gph? 4x, 8x 10x volume?
Old 12/16/2007, 05:49 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Harleyguy
For a mixed reef what kind of flow should I be looking for? Gph? 4x, 8x 10x volume?
this is the big benifit to using the tunze streams. there adjustable so you can make the flow what ever you want. if you tanks flow needs change you can increase the flow with the controller. the bigger your corals get the more flow you actually need in the tank to push the water around the corals. you can hide anything in your tank with a little creative work.
it really depends on how your tank is set up and where your overflows are located. false pannels thatare covered by live rock can house the tunze streams and still make then accessable to maintain them.

can you post a drawing of what you would like your tank to look like and where your overflow will be located. i now you want to use glass for your tank. it just depends on where you want you overflow(s) to be.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Harleyguy, check out my post in large reef forum. Under our 500 gallon. I though I had the flow covered with (3) seaswirls and closed loop. Boy was I wrong, it's amazing at the flow loss as corals mature to 24" colonies. I added (4) 6200 tunzes they really help, I going to add (2) more. also with a large tank you don't really notice them after a while. I would think for SPS you should have around 30X turnover, about 36,000 per hour...

Reefaquariumnut, what size tank you planning on putting the 6301 in??? They don't recommend fish under 4" with those pumps. A little spendy at 750.00 each without controller.... Oh well, it's only money....

Happy Reefing
Old 12/17/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

I am putting those 6301's in a 600 gallon tank...But i do have a money tree in my back yard!!
Old 12/17/2007, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

If your going into a larger reef tank.. You might want to plant a second tree...