Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)

Old 11/13/2007, 03:53 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Tunze 6101 noise vs Vortech noise

So I installed two vortech's yesterday, and one of them is a bit louder than the other, such that it's a little annoying. I'm pretty sure if I send that one back, they will say nothing is wrong with it, simply because it's just a higher pitch but not substantially louder.

Either way, these pumps are a bit noisy. The thing is, I've never had a pump that can do more than 1000gph, so I may be chasing a ghost.

How do the Tunze 6101's sound? For almost the same price (maybe cheaper), I can get two Tunze 6101's, magnet holders, and a multicontroller.

I'm considering switching if the Vortech noise isn't reduced. I can hear it down the hall in my room at night =(
Old 11/13/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

how long have you had the Vortecs running ? Some take longer to break in and seat the bearings completely. But then again some are just noisier than others .
Old 11/13/2007, 04:13 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I've only had them since last night, so I guess it may not be totally broken in yet. But it does sound smooth, nothing intrinsically wrong sounding with the bearings, just a bit high pitched than the other. I'm thinking it's just a bit noisier. I may get another and use one in my frag tank, the noiser one =)
Old 11/13/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

I jusst got a 2nd one yesterday and notice it seeming quieter and cooler compared to my older one. Perhaps theres differences in revision versions and you have 2 from different batches?

Ive never had Tunze's so I cant offer any comparisons. I notice the noise more when its on pulse mode. Its the ramping up part that gets the higher pitch. However, I prefer both on reef crest mode on antisync, which I do not notice a significant sound.
Old 11/13/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Mine is about 8 months old and doesn't make much noise... you are sure that it is aligned evenly? If it brand new can you bring/send it back to the place you got it from.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 11/13/2007, 06:53 PM
Tailspot Blenny

by looking it looks aligned, and moving it so it's unaligned makes a considerably louder / different noise.

I think I'll give it 2 more days, and if it doesn't quiet down I'll try to see if I can send it in or something =/
Old 11/13/2007, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

The reason you are hearing the noise is thet the motors are on the outside (reading the thread it occured to me) and Tunzes are inside of the tank, I can't hear a thing unless I press my ear to the glass-and I have three!
Old 11/13/2007, 07:53 PM
Tailspot Blenny

That's very true! Interesting =)

I'll have to visit someone's house who has the 6101's to listen to them... (with my dremel
Old 11/13/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 vortechs and 1 is louder than the other. I sent the louder one back and they replaced the components (for free! ) , but it still is louder than the other one. It's not so bad so I just live with it considering the overflows make more noise than the pumps. The flow is great and the undertow is amazing.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:07 PM
Resident physicist.

When I got my 2nd vortech it was substantially louder than the first at when it's 75% max power or so, however within a week though it's quieted down quite nicely.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:38 PM
Makin it Rain

I have 3 the new one seems to be the loudest however i thought the same thing when i got the 2nd one the WWD also makes it in Pulse mode because of the reving of the pump i switched all of mine reef crest mode and they are quieter
Old 11/13/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

where did you folks got your Vortech from?
Old 11/13/2007, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

I cannot hear my Tunzes
Old 11/14/2007, 12:12 AM
Resident physicist.

I got mine from Ocean's Treasures in SF.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:41 AM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by brianbigoats
I have 3 the new one seems to be the loudest however i thought the same thing when i got the 2nd one the WWD also makes it in Pulse mode because of the reving of the pump i switched all of mine reef crest mode and they are quieter
yeah in reef crest or lagoon it's much quieter without the ramping up and down. But the ramping is so awesome =)
Old 11/14/2007, 01:01 AM
Makin it Rain

they still ramp in Reef crest but it is much slower
Old 11/14/2007, 02:00 AM
Member Registered

I guarantee you that Vortechs are louder than the Tunze pumps. Vortechs are nice and they have some advantages over Tunze but I am personally surprised how loud they are. I was up at Johns store yourreef over the weekend and he had one running on his display. That motor had a nice high pitched hum to it. I then went to Atlantis today and he has one on one of his display tanks as well. Same hum. I don't think it is a big deal in a store but if you have your tank in your house and it is quiet in the house, I would get Tunze pumps. I have four pumps running currently and they are dead silent. The only noises I hear from my tanks are the chiller and some water trickling. As someone already mentioned the Tunzes are quieter simply because the motors are in the water.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:30 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I think I'll go with tunze 6101's instead. The vortech's are nice, but I don't think they're the best for my tank. My tank is so much quieter, and these vortech's are loud at the top end. I may keep them and move them to my frag tank, or sell them.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Darn, we could have traded. I have some Vortechs being delivered today to switch out my Tunzes.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Kinetic; I have 2 of the 6101's i do hear a bit of change in sound as they ramp up and down but the pumps are also brand new and i have only been running them sparingly on my new setup (tank is currently sitting in my garage with tap water in it to play around with the flow & controller options) so if they are anything like my 6025's were they will be even quitter after a little more break in time; I certainly can not hear the change in noise level if I'm about 2' away from the tank.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:02 PM
Tailspot Blenny

awesome, thanks for the help guys.

I think I'll have to hear these 6101's in person first to make sure the swap is worth it.

mcurl: oh that's too bad! let me know how the tunze's work out for you.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

mcurl: do you like the vortechs better than the tunzes?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Yes, visually they are much better and they move more water. I use them with the Aquasurf mod.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

I am almost ready to switch back to Tunze from the VTs. The ramping up/down noise when in pulse mode is just too much. We can hear it throughout the house (and it is an in-wall tank). It is not the motors, but the wet ends (and yes, they are aligned properly). Some are just louder than others. One of ours is dead quiet, but the other 3 are varying degrees of annoying. I am tempted to save up and put a pair of 6101 or 6201s in our tank to see how they sound.

I have heard that the VTs move more water than the Tunzes, but I can't say for sure since our Tunzes were on another tank, and the new tank was brought up with the VTs from day 1. Although the noise wasn't/isn't so bad so long as you don't change the speed too much or too fast (like pulse mode does.. *sigh*).
Old 01/09/2008, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

A buddy of mine has a single VT installed, and it's as quiet as ... his skimmer makes more noise.