Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 09/20/2007, 04:51 PM
See if you can pingaso it

New Lumen Bright Reflector. ... any info on them

Hello Guys,

Any info on the new Lumen Bright reflectors Reef Exotics is selling ? Are they better than the LIII ?

Old 09/22/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Well, supposedly they put out 16.5% more light than the LIII. I got a pair to go on my new 150G. I like it. Same dimension as the LIII just octagon in shape. I fired up some old lamps I have and i must say they are bright. Must be just the white rock and sand though.
Here is 1/2 lit up on a 5'X2'X2' tank.
[IMG][/IMG]

Full shot
[IMG][/IMG]

Canopy
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/23/2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

I just ordered one for my 180/lightrail setup (here's hoping I can find a good way of mounting it to the mover) to replace my RO2 retro reflector. I would imagine that if it is 16.5% better than the best of the rest, it should spank my old retro. Looks cool anyway.

Dave
Old 09/23/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I duno, but I am freaken' LOVING That rockwork!!! what kind of rock is that?

wow!

Oh, and great setup too!
Old 09/23/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106
I duno, but I am freaken' LOVING That rockwork!!! what kind of rock is that?

wow!

Oh, and great setup too!
That would be 120lbs of Marco rock in a 5'X2'X2' tank
Old 09/23/2007, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Looking good Russ. Glad you are happy with it. Im getting 4 of the smaller for my cube as well. Hey, i could use some help to carry my cube into my house one i get to CO
Old 09/24/2007, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEFER714
Looking good Russ. Glad you are happy with it. Im getting 4 of the smaller for my cube as well. Hey, i could use some help to carry my cube into my house one i get to CO
No problem Steve. Just let me know when.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:06 AM
clownfish fan

Deuce67 how long did you cure that rock before you put it in the tank?
Old 09/24/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Deuce67 how long did you cure that rock before you put it in the tank?
I didnt cure it. I just rinsed it off. It will basically cure and cook in the tank for a few week/months if needed. The lights will be off at the meantime.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:14 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce67
I didnt cure it. I just rinsed it off. It will basically cure and cook in the tank for a few week/months if needed. The lights will be off at the meantime.

oh. how much shedding is it doing?
Old 09/24/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Shedding? I havent seen any shedding. Tank has only been up for just 8 days though. Skimmer is pulling some nasty stuff though. Water was really yellow for a couple of days when first started.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Nothing falling out of the rock?
Old 09/24/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEFER714
Nothing falling out of the rock?
I didnt notice anything falling off. It did stink for a couple days after saltwater is added. I tested the water yesterday and ammonia and nitrites are still pretty high.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:51 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

I just installed two on my tank and like them so far. They seem to provide a more concentrated beam of light compared to the square reflectors.
In the pic below, the Aquaconnect bulb is installed in a square 22"x22" LumenMax and the Reeflux is in the Lumen Bright reflector. Granted the Reeflux is a 10k so it is going to be brighter but you can also tell how concentrated the lighting is compared to the one on the left.
Old 10/02/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

how about a fts showing the reflectors
Old 10/02/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

friendly bump
Old 10/02/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

So jealous I just ordered 2 of the big ones... I currently have L3's cant imagine more light going into my tank.....

Great rockwork too
Old 10/03/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys,

I decided to change things up a bit and put on 5 new Lumen Brite reflectors over the reef. Supposedly these reflectors are 15% more efficient than the Lumen Arc reflectors you have seen in the TOTM article. Visually the tank definitely appears brighter and areas before these reflectors that were dim are now lit up. I really like the concept of increasing the bends in the reflector to maximize the angles of light reflection.

I am planning on purchasing a light meter and really putting these new reflectors to the test against one of the Lumenarcs. I probably will post the results in the lighting and filtration forum. I may put a link here to the thread when it comes out most likely in the next couple weeks.
Mike...........
Old 10/03/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mike!
Old 10/05/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Mike I would like to see the results of your test .

when did you think you would post ?
Old 10/05/2007, 01:46 PM
El Jefe de WRS

It would seem that the Lumenbrights are more 'concentrated', but I wouldnt go saying that they somehow produce 15% more light than lumenarcs until a 3D grid test can be done. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade... just stating what I think is clearly visible from an optics POV. The use of more, smaller facets acts to focus the center of the light output more. The fewer, smaller facets lend themselves to a greater 'spread' of light. Is one better than another...??? Well... is a spotlight better than a floodlight? Yeah, you get the picture. I just want you guys to be informed consumers. I mean, if I wanted to, taking this concept all the way, I would make a continuous curve bell shaped pendant... that way, no matter where you are on the reflector, you are getting a perfect angle from the focal point of the reflector (the bulb). The downside is.... this isnt necessarily what you want. A continuous curve reflector like that would provide much more light AT some point, but that point is going to be much smaller as well (or could be designed like that). For the most part... we need reflectors that spread out the light more, not concentrate it (unless you have a 4' tall reef tank).
Old 10/05/2007, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

acropora nut - which seems to have more of a light spread, your new lumen brights or the lumen arcs you replaced?

I thought the lumen arcs may have more of a spread, but you stated that there are some areas of your tank that use to be dim and now are not.

I was going to get the lumenarcs, but an interesting in finding out more about the brights.

-thanks!
Old 10/05/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

do you think that this reflector can cover a foot print of 36x36? the tank will have t5s as well.
Old 10/05/2007, 03:41 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

No. I wouldn't push more than a 24" x 24" area out of it since it is such a directed light but the Lumenarc or Lumenmax 22" x 22" fixture might work but you would just not be able to keep high light corals on the outer edges.
Old 10/05/2007, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

There is no doubt that my tank is brighter with the Lumen Bright Reflectors. I could instantly see areas that were dim are now much brighter! What I like even better about these reflectors is that I am now getting more light penetrating deeper into my tank. This is really helpful because I have so much growth that I was getting shaded and lower light areas in the lower half of my tank. I am now even thinking of selling the mini’s I just bought and trying to fit the Lumen Bright large reflectors in my canopy.

I understand what Hannmeister is saying in his comments, but this is not a bell or curved shaped reflector. If you look down into these reflectors the angles inside create a rectangular or octagon shape depending how you look at it. I think the multiple facets of this reflector helps capture more light and transfer it back into the tank. This is just my thoughts on it, but I can tell you that when my wife makes the commit “Why does your tank look brighter” I know something drastic had to change to make her take notice of the tank.

Thx's.........

Mike