Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

WTB: southdown sand

Does any one know where to get southdown sand.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I have a full 5 gallon bucket full. It was live but has just been sitting in a bucket with no heater/powerhead for a while so probably needs a good rinsing. $20 or $15 if you bring a bucket and lid to replace the one the sand is in.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

i've been trying to find it at the home stores since November. no luck.

i was in HD yesterday and i noticed that they're stocking barbecue grills to get ready for the springtime. hopefully this means that the home stores will start stocking with more springtime goods and we'll see the southdown sand appear as a seasonal item.

fingers crossed...

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 01/06/2008, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

"Southdown" sand has not been available (atleast around here) for several years. Only way to get it recently is to find someone who has a stash and buy it from them.

IMHO, you are better off finding a LFS that is having a sale on CaribSea and getting it from them. I got bags of the Ocean Direct CaribSea sand from Sea Schor last year for $18 per 20# bag. If you are planning to make a large purchase, talk to your LFS and see if you can get a bulk discount.

Several people have used the Quikcrete sand with the green lable from Home Depot. It is supposed to be 100% silica sand and reef safe. Much cheaper than going with packaged aquarium sand, but many of those that tried it did not like the look of it in the tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:51 PM
Blue

Spend the money and don't get the Quickcrete. I made the mistake and I'm still kicking myself for it. It just doesn't look right.
Old 01/06/2008, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

i wouldn't have considered a silica based sand. that is, until last night when i was reading vol 3 of Delbeek and Sprung, and they said that they're nothing wrong with using a silica based sand. as far as cosmetics go, i think i'd use aragonite for any sort of display tank, but silica would probably be fine in a DSB in a sump where you don't have to look at it.

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 01/06/2008, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

whats is southdown sand, how does it look.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

"Southdown" was aragonite sand from the Carribean packaged in 50# bags and sold as "tropical play sand" at many home improvement stores. It was much cheaper to purchase than standard aquarium sand, but was essentially the same stuff just in a different package.

In the tank it looks just like any other fine grain aragonite sand.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

I put an email into HomeDepot head quarters to see if they are ever going to stock it or if we could get a special shipment to a local store. I will update you guys when I find out.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Is there not a problem with silicate sand and algae?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I bought some Kolorscope sand from Home Depot on North Avenue a few weeks back. It was outside in the garden section. Old Castle is the manufacture of the sand and that is supposedly the same as Southdown sand. Its looks a little yellow in the bag, but it is white when taken out. It is a very fine sand. I am not sure but I think it is part aragonite and a small percentage silica. They had a whole pallet of it when I was there.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Kolorscope has silica in it, It's ok to use but not for a DSB, I did a vinegar test to it, it did bubble but some sand left which means theres probably a 25% silica in it. Im going to try to get a special order for this maybe if we get a group of us. I live in NJ, Shipping maybe expensive though.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I've got about 20# in an open bag in my basement , free if you want to pick it up.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:21 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

There is a huge difference in appearance between Kolorscape and Southdown. The Kolorscape is shiny and "fake" looking and Southdown looks more natural and "beach-like".

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/08/2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Kolorscape isnt pure aragonite it has partial silica, I felt it in my hands its a little coarse, I just emailed Home Depot for a whole pallet of either Yardright or Southdown sand, Keeping my fingers crossed if they can get it, also im going to call oldcastle tommorow there located here in nj, I think perhaps oldcastle dont make this anymore, hmm? Sold it?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I did that, they told me to go talk with my local store.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Kolroscape and Carib Sea

Here are some pics of the Kolorscape sand by Oldcastle and Aragamx sugar-sized by CaribSea side by side in the bags.

Here are the two next to each other. Kolorscape is on the left.

Here is the Kolorscape solo. It is a very fine sand.

This is the Carib Sea. A lot more grainy.

Old 01/09/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

It's not the same as southdown, It's not good for a DSB. I think old castle dont make southdown anymore, The Caribsea is a way better sand if youre going to do a DSB.