Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 01/02/2008, 03:07 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I've started dropping 1000mg into my softie/LPS 40g tank. My puffer's fins have a bit of white fungusy spots on them & I wanted to see how my other non-zoas fair with the C. Although I do have similar corals in my main tank too, I really didn't observe them very closely, as I was just concerned about the zoas in there at the time I started dosing.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

i hae a 220, with roughly 100 gallon sump, i have already lost a colony of zoas, and my others are suffering, i too am sold on this. How many mg's you think i should start with, and eventually max out at????
Old 01/02/2008, 03:30 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Try this guide: http://www.athiel.com/lib2/pguide/vitami1.html
Old 01/02/2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I started dosing my zoos 2 days ago. Most of mine are fine minus my Red zoos which have closed up for a few days now. Well see how it goes. I did notice them starting to open late last night so well see... Ill post some before pics later tonight when I get home from work!
Old 01/02/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I started dosing my zoos 2 days ago. Most of mine are fine minus my Red zoos which have closed up for a few days now. Well see how it goes. I did notice them starting to open late last night so well see... Ill post some before pics later tonight when I get home from work!

I have a 12g nano and im dosing 250mg a day to start
Old 01/02/2008, 05:21 PM
King of the white corals

does anyone using that pure stuff from GNC happen to have a link where I can purchase it??

Im still hesistant about throwing this crap with all the cellulose and other stuff into my sps dominant tanks.........

I think if I am going to use it I want to find the pure stuff....

edit: geoxman or anyone.......is this the stuff you are talking about??

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=family
Old 01/02/2008, 05:44 PM
Unregistered Member

The link froze on me.
It is a nice 80's mauve colored bottle with a brown lid. On the front it says

GNC
Vitamin C Crystals
DIETARY SUPPLEMENT

with rose hips

NET WT. 8oz. (227g)

I would call your local GNC a better yet a small business family run health food store and ask for "pure ascorbic acid with no fillers", tell them you are allergic--then they get really interested??

The pure is the only way to go as it is a better source of the vitamin and it has not been exposed to heat and a press with other fillers added.

I will shoot you a PM in case you need more information.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:51 PM
Unregistered Member

the link opened up and that is it. Check your PM's
Old 01/02/2008, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Yes the orange is super bright on it. I don't think it has a name. Doesn't look good right now. It looks like it's going to melt as my zoas spew out the brown stuff and close up then they get small and melt away. Well today's day 2 on dosing. I'll keep you guys updated on this.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:25 PM
Unregistered Member

revautosports-this is not a miracle drug and from your picture on the previous page I do not think yours will make it. I really do not like when reefers sell/trade such small frags of zoanthids as their survival rate plummets, especially when shipped.

I have read countless threads where people are upset because their single, designer, fancy named polyp that was shipped from the South of Guam and is melting and not looking well??

I have also gotten small frags local that did not do well, for many reasons, not by my doing.

I will keep my fingers crossed and I hope they pull through for you. IMHO I would take a look at dosing the C for the health of the other inhabitants as well.

How old is your tank? good luck
Old 01/02/2008, 06:33 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I am guilty of fragging single polyps of "designer" zoas/palys directly from my tank. Because of this I do guarantee them in case they don't make it--I'll replace for the same one or equal value.

I am actually seeing babies on zoas that I left for dead & brown, months ago. Now, instead of being brown, they have purple & patterns & babies developing. I'm getting a whole new love for this hobbby!

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 01/02/2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I am guilty of fragging single polyps of "designer" zoas/palys directly from my tank. Because of this I do guarantee them in case they don't make it--I'll replace for the same one or equal value.

I am actually seeing babies on zoas that I left for dead & brown, months ago. Now, instead of being brown, they have purple & patterns & babies developing. I'm getting a whole new love for this hobbby!
Im glad its working so well for you! Im sure after a few weeks ill have the same results! Bravo for this thread Pufferpunk, bravo!
Old 01/02/2008, 07:02 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Who knew it could be this simple?
(I like your sig!)
Old 01/02/2008, 07:07 PM
King of the white corals

the key to shipping smaller frags like single/double polyps (and any polyp frags) for that matter is cutting well in advance of the ship date, so they are completely healed and accustomed to being single or double polyps instead of shipping fresh cuts.

shipping fresh cuts on sps is no problem, fresh cuts on zoas/palys is asking for it.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:09 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I actually started a new thread on this subject, so we don't cluttter up an already long (11 page) thread.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:22 PM
Unregistered Member

Puffer-I am very sorry for derailing it! My fault! Check your PM's
PL
Old 01/02/2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Who knew it could be this simple?
(I like your sig!)
I know right!?

Thanks to spidey for my sig!
Old 01/03/2008, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

I began dosing 250 mg 2x/day on my 55 just a few days ago. I s this sufficient and when can I dose 500 2x/dday? I am seeing no adverse reactions of the healthy zoas and too soon to tell on the ones that I am concerned about. I will TRY to get a picture up as soon as I can of my frags so we can do comparisons (time/dosing and for how long?) to see differences.

Anyone else have pics? I am also using Nature Made Premium Caplets 500mg (I break in half per each dose) This was all I could find that was in stock at my local wal-mart. So, I hope these are okay.

NOW....if I can just kill my quarter size aiptasias that are encroaching on my zoas, I will be happy. Any ideas here so I don't harm my zoas that are close-by?

I'm broke!
Old 01/03/2008, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

So far, it's only been 5 days. Thus far, I have noticed that my closed GSP has all new "buds" sprouting from everywhere. I have had no change at all in my purple buttons. As for my zoo, I have only noticed one head slightly open. All the rest are closed. Obviously, I'm not sure if the vit c helped the GSP and the one bud on the zoo, but it can't all be coincidence, right?

I've also just noticed some small, almost clear or glass looking things crawling on my zoo. I just noticed them last night, but they're only visable using a magnifying glass. I guess I should get some Lugol's dip?
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/03/2008, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Use joes Juice on the Zoas. Get the Zoas to close up so that you don't burn them by accident with the juice. The aptasia will open back up before the Zoas will and you can apply it then.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:25 PM
Pufferkrazy!

IDK, I've damaged way too many palys by getting that stuff on them. When you figure out how to kill those giant aptasias, let me know, because I've got a couple that won't die, for anything!

customanimalart, After about a week, I'd double your dose.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Also, as an FYI to my last post above, I'm still only dosing 125/2x per day.

I did inadvertantly drop one, accidentally straight into the tank behind some rock, and I could not get it out. In case this happens to anyone, I had no adverse effects from that happening. I seen two hermits, blue legs, near it. I'm not sure if they actually ate any. This was 3 days ago and they're both still doing fine.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/03/2008, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

There is another aptasia solution that I have used that you inject into the base of the individual. The syringe has a much sharper and finer tip. It works for the larger ones. The smaller ones retract way to small into the crevices to be able to inject it. When I get home this evening I will look to see the brand.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I noticed last night that my water flow wasnt as strong so I took the pump out and it was pretty clogged with crud. I cleaned it out and had all that good flow back. My zoos opened up a lot more. I think with the vit c and my flow back they are going to do just fine. Im going to the LFS to get me some filter floss cuz I didnt have any! Ill post some pics later after I get some stuff done.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

by the way...I have been following this thread very closely and started dosing my Frag tank with the "c" and my 40 + frags all look alot meatier after just one weeks worth of dosing. I wish I would have taken pictures at the start. I started dosing it after I had a pox outbreak and treated with Furan-2 for a week. The Vitamin C started the very next day. I believe that the Vitamin C could only have helped in their quick recovery.

I know this has to be a coincidence, but I will mention it. I have a pair of false percs in the Zoa growout tank (been in there since they were juvis for two years) and they just started their pairing up ritual since I started the Vitamin C treatment. sure does make you go hmmmmmmmm. Thanks for drawing our attentions to this small but possibly huge finding.