Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2005, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

Our flower anemomes more or less stay in the back of the tank, and they're not all that nice looking either.
Here are some pictures I took this morning. I'm really happy the sun coral is starting to open up with the lights on.
Baby hammer:

With the lights on:

Original candy cane:

zoa:

new fish:

Just a nice crisp shot:

Another shrimp acclimating:
Old 12/01/2005, 11:42 AM
forever newbie

I have no idea how to get rid of the hydroids. I have some but not many. They seem to have slowed down on the sprouting with the age of the tank.
You guys do know that condis eat fish, right? I had 1 when I first started sw but got rid of it.
Old 12/01/2005, 12:15 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

I'm not sure those are hydroids, it is VERY possible they are, but some of those, especially the orange one, look like harmless feather dusters. The white ones could even be sponges. I think it would take crisper pictures with larger animals to get a positive ID though.

Brian
Old 12/01/2005, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

my fish have the brains to stay away from it.
Old 12/01/2005, 12:18 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

BTW Pat, that first picture looks like a type of plating algae. For the life of me I can't remember the name, but it forms sheets on the LR and is very difficult to remove. I know for some people it is a good tank citizen, but in some tanks it grows like crazy, just keep an eye on it.

Your second picture obviously isn't featherdusters and could very well be hydroids.

B.
Old 12/01/2005, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

That last picture was an orange feather duster. I'm just wondering what those other things were.
I agree it's some type of plating algae. I'll try to get some or all of it off with the next water change and see how easy or difficult it is to remove.
The hairy things on that one rock.... I have the same stuff on more than that one rock I showed in the picture....almost all are right by the sand bed, right up front. I also saw one of the polyp rocks had a bunch of that stuff growing out of it.
What the heck is a hydroid anyway? How do we get them? is is bad water parameters?
I don't know if I could get a closer picture of the hydriods or not. I'll try though.

I worry sometimes about the anemone eating fish. When we put the foxface and swallowtail into the tank, I swear I thought the condi ate the angel. I couldn't find it and the condy was nice and fat.
I put that cleaner shrimp into the tank last evening, and haven't seen it since. It was so tiny. I'm not worrying yet because when the original one went in, I didn't see it for 2 days, and it was about the size of this little one. They sure do grow fast!

Bob is doing a water change now, but he said he didn't feel like re-scaping the TBS tank.
Old 12/01/2005, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
You guys do know that condis eat fish, right? I had 1 when I first started sw but got rid of it.
Yes, I swear that was the demise of my second firefish.
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes, I swear that was the demise of my second firefish.
Premium Member

Me too. It seems to move over and sting the Plate coral then move back.

Might be time to say bye-bye.

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I got rid of my condy a long time ago for that same reason. Now I'm thinking the flower anemone is getting too big.
Old 12/02/2005, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

I picked up a sea squirt today at the LFS. The hole on the end looks really small. Will mysis or brine fit thru it? Has anyone had to enlarge it?

I also picked up some parts so I can clean my external pump. More or less made a mini tank. Now all I have to do is disconnect the existing pump, hook it up to what we just made and try it out. I'm nervous to try it, so I think I'll wait until tomorrow just in case I need to run out to get more parts or something I'm not thinking of now.
Old 12/02/2005, 03:23 PM
forever newbie

This is a pic I took with my new Olympus a couple of weeks ago. I know it isn't anything special. Just showing off my camera.
Old 12/02/2005, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Peggy, that picture is good! I thought you couldn't get any god pictures with it? I could never get a picture like that with the old olympus I had unless I did it with a flash. I tried so many times with the tank lights on to get pictures of the fish, but they always came out like a blur.

Show us more!!
Old 12/02/2005, 03:54 PM
forever newbie

Thanks, Pat. I am pretty pleased with that pic. This is a pic of my Kenya Tree. I think I will try to frag it this weekend. That will be a first for me!!

This is a pic that I took at Lake Michigan during a windstorm.
Old 12/02/2005, 04:25 PM
My chihuahua "Bear"

Quote:
2nd, 3rd and 4th pics are hydroids.
Forgive the stupid ques...What are hydroids? Are they bad? I have the same thing in my tank.

Stacy Fawn Elledge
Old 12/02/2005, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

Stacy - How do you like the trigger? Does it bother any corals?
Old 12/02/2005, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

pat, i enlarged the hole a little to get the shrimp thru. i sent you pics of my unknown tbs urchin, it came i the keys rock,i think.
Old 12/02/2005, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

These are the pictures of Bob's urchin. I've never seen this type before in any of our pictures:

Bob enlarged the hole of the sea squirt for me a little bit, but the mysis still got stuck when I was trying to suck them into the squirt. Maybe I'll ask him to make it just a wee bit larger. Don't want it too big...then the stuff won't stay in the tube...right?

Last edited by patsan; 12/02/2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12/02/2005, 06:21 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

whatever that urchin is, sure is pretty! Lucky snag Bob! Thanks for posting the pics Pat. Sure is PURTY
Old 12/02/2005, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetFawn
Forgive the stupid ques...What are hydroids? Are they bad? I have the same thing in my tank.
Not too sure what hydroids are. Some type of animal...but evidently not good for our reefs.
Here is a better close up of mine.

Old 12/02/2005, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Pat,

I posted a similar picture months ago and I was told those are harmless. They look almost like little Palm Trees or something. Right?

Brian
Old 12/02/2005, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
I posted a similar picture months ago and I was told those are harmless. They look almost like little Palm Trees or something. Right?
Brian
Who said they were harmless? They just look like fuzzers on the rocks. I have most of it on the rocks down by the sand bed. I'm not too sure if it's buried in-between or on any rocks buried throughout the tank.
I also have some (quite a bit) coming out of a rock that has button polyps on that I got from reef science.
Old 12/02/2005, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

I want to say it was Greenbean but I'd probably be wrong.

This was the pic I posted. Do they look the same?

Old 12/02/2005, 06:59 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

Your pictures are getting very close to awesome and being able to be used for an ID. You might want to try posting that last pic and the others and see if Dr Ron can at least rule out hydroids or not.

B.
Old 12/02/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

The end of them look similar, but mine don't seem to come out of a tube like yours does. Mine seem to be the same throughout....until the end when you see that palm tree effect.
Old 12/02/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Pat,
Your pictures are getting very close to awesome and being able to be used for an ID. You might want to try posting that last pic and the others and see if Dr Ron can at least rule out hydroids or not.
B.
Thanks B.....
I got a tripod from ebay...so I should have it within a few weeks. Then I will probably and hopefully get clearer pictures.
I just made a post in Dr. Ron's forum about my flatworms. Someone had the red planaria type, and someone posted a picture of harmless ones. Mine didn't look like either, so hopefully greenbean will let me know what type they are.
I don't want to post 2 "pest" pictures...people will think my tank is crap.