Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 02/10/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

acro getting into trouble?

I have had this acro (sorry not sure of the type - might be helliopora) for about 1 month. I love it! My fave I have so far. The last couple of weeks it seems to be changing? It looks like there is a growing presence of a bluish fuzz? - or something. Part of the trouble is my eyes are only so good, and these patches of blue are so small, you know maybe 5mm to 40mm x 5mm to 40mm. I just can't tell if it is a fuzz, or a weird algae, or debris, but it is clearly growing.

The cool thing is that looking from the top, the colors are unbeleivable - greens, blues, sparkles, this coral has thousands of tiny cillia growing out of the branches that wave in the current.

These pics are the best I can do. Do they help?

The first pic is the best and you can at least see that there are 2 colors. Onle kinda of blue, the other kinda brown.

Well all the stuff that is blue was the kinda brownish 2 weeks ago!! Thats the stuff I am asking about.

I loosened it and shook it a few times upside down. And put it near the front of my seio820 but the stuff doesn't move. So its more like a growth than the typical algae i'm used to.

Michael
Old 02/10/2007, 08:12 PM
Latenight Reefer

Is it definately growing overtop the coral? Are you sure its not just changing color? Cause thats what it looks like from the pics, but it may just be the pics so I may be wrong. You may want to post in the sps forum.
Old 02/10/2007, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

I can't tell if it is growing ON the coral or IN the coral. I just called my lfs and they know (explitive deleted) everything. They said that is is coloring up. I never thought of that so that seems reasonable?

Michael
Old 02/10/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Also the lfs remembered the piece and told me it was a tricolor (perhaps a colloquialism) acropora heridata - (probably the wrong spelling), but I can't seem to find the name.