Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Trader Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/06/2005, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs down Matt Diesel is a thief

Traders beware. Do not trade with Matt Diesel!

Matt Carroll

Cleveland TN 37323
LNDCRMC@AOL.COM

This guy kept bugging me for a piece of my red/green caulastrea. We agreed on a thermos/cooler trade when the weather warmed up. He lives in Tennessee and I live in South Carolina, so shipping would be quick and inexpensive. He insisted on overnight shipping though, so I sent his frags out (multiple heads of the candy and a 2x1 inch chunk of zoanthids) on April 4, 2005. The UPS tracking # indicated that the package was delivered on April 5th. On April 7th after multiple pms and e-mails I received this:
Quote:
Hi, Yes sorry my internet has been down for a few days, but I received it and they look really cool. I will probably wait until Monday to ship b/c I fragged the zo's and just wanted to give them a couple of days to make sure they were ok. Thanks, Matt
OK, fine - no problem - people have internet problems, I understand. So I wait and wait... On April 18th (after I keep asking where my stuff is) I get this:
Quote:
I apoligize again for the delay but somehow I can't find your address in my email box. If you could give me your shipping add. again please I will ship them asap. And I really apoligize for taking so long .
I gave him my shipping address again and asked how the candy was doing - got this response:
Quote:
They are doing great, I think I have feed them maybe twice due to the fact every time the clowns see the feeder tent. out they nip at them thinking its food even if they have been feed, so they are in most of the time. But I appreciate you being so patient and thanks againg for the awesome livestock. Thanks, Matt Carroll
So I wait... for nothing. I e-mailed again and finally got this reply on April 25th:
Quote:
Sorry, just got back in town we had a death in the family. I will ship them Tues. do you want them shipped to Baruch Institute 607 EWS or some place else? Thanks, Matt
I told him where to ship. Nothing has arrived yet. It's clear to me that he is not going to ship anything, so I sent him an email earlier this week asking him to PayPal me $50 to cover the overnight shipping ($39), the cooler ($6) and a $5 contribution towards the candy and zoanthids (extremely reasonable IMO). That was several days ago and I've heard nothing back from him. I have given up! That was my first (and last) trade on RC.

Last edited by mhurley; 05/09/2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05/08/2005, 11:22 PM
Moved On

WOW! The nerve some people have huh? Dosent he realize how close you realy are to him? LOL!!
Old 05/09/2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Ya know, I think it's more laziness than anything. It's easy to sit at a computer, shop for what you like and have it delivered to your front door, but it takes a teeny-weenie bit of effort to get off your butt, bag a couple of frags and drive to the nearest FedEx, UPS or post office, pay some money and ship the things.
Old 05/09/2005, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

And that's just one reason I prefer to get my stuff locally and or at a store online or otherwise . Truth is whether it's laziness or fraud people are still people and we make mistakes regularly .
Old 05/09/2005, 05:03 PM
RC Admin

Sorry, I removed his street address.....I know this deal went south but this is a public board where anyone can scoop that up.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 05/09/2005, 05:31 PM
Moved On

Don't let 1 jerk judge your opinion on the whole community. I have traded with at least 20 complete strangers on this board with no problems. The key is too make sure they don't appear to be a newbie to the board. Sorry and I hope you get your frags

Peace
Rob
Old 05/09/2005, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

I have also had several good experiences on this board. Sorry your first was a bad one.
Old 05/09/2005, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Hey Moderator,
Do you know something I don't know? How do you know that address was the guy's home address? It was the shipping address - that's all I know. Can you tell us if that guy has ever been on RC under a different user name?

Thanks for the support Rob and sherm71tank, but it will be a long, long time before I trust anyone on RC again.
Old 05/14/2005, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

I also have had great experience trading with a few people on RC. I usually ask them to ship to me first. Because that way I know I will do my part and ship right back when I promised. Everyone I have dealt with always sends me nice stuff, and they get back the frags that were promised. So don't let this one jerk cause you to lose great trades with others.
Old 05/16/2005, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

seee what paypal can do.take him to court
Old 06/12/2005, 01:16 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

sorry to hear what happened!