Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/08/2005, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Frogs/ Hammers Closed

About 4 days ago I Noticed that all 4 of my Frogspawn Colonys and all 3 of my hammers have closed up considerably. Probably 1/2 of thier normal extension. I immedialty checked my water params and all was well:

temp: 80
sg: 1.025
cal: 400
alk : 4.0 meq/L
PH: 8.0

My skimmer is doing its job and pulling out mega green/brown skimmate. I drip Kalk 24/7 and I add no supplements to the tank. I just cant figure out why these are closed. My GSP and white Stars are also only extending out about 1/2 way from thier homes. BUT My zoos , Birdsnest , Mont cap , Anthellia , Candy Canes , Pink star Polyps , and mushrooms are thriving. WIERD! Any ideas?
I THOUGHT I saw my Bi-Colored Angel have a nip at 1 but I couldnt be sure. Shes been in the tank for 6 months now and has never had a go at them before. Any suggestions? I was going to get some poly filter this weekend and run it in my sump to see if theres any toxin in the water... I did do a 10 gal water change yesterday but they are still semi-closed today

Last edited by Maldivan; 04/08/2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04/08/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

The PH seems a little low for a tank that gets dripped KalK 24/7. Try doing a good water change and adding some buffer to raise the PH a little. Also keep a eye on your fish. I had a damsel in my tank for three years without a problem but then he suddenly decided to use the frogspawn as his home. He swam in and out of it to the point where the frogspawn remained closed. It took alot of time and hard work to get the damsel out of the tank but he is out now and the frogspawn are happy as can be.
Old 04/08/2005, 10:35 PM
TRC Leader

Also, check your flow. I've seen these corals close up with they get hammered with flow.

You probably should run some carbon too, as you have lots of softies releasing some vile stuff in your tank.
Old 04/08/2005, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

I seem to be running into a similar situation too. I have a 12 gl Nano at the office. I've had it for about 6 months and everything was thriving to the extreme until 3 days ago. They've been doing better there than in my 120 gl at home. My chemistry also checks out fine, but the frogspawn, hammer, and ricordia mushrooms are hardly extended. The candy cane looks fine and the button polyps aren't too bad. My Royal Gramma also disappered. I did a wc today and hope that will make a difference. I'll be interested in knowing what makes a difference with yours.

Cindy
Old 04/10/2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

well its confirmed. Its My Bi-Color angel. I watched the tank all day friday and saturday. She nips at my Frogspawns and the hammer that is closed up. Watched her nip my star polyos as well. I tried to catch her but shes a smart fish. She knew what I was up too and hid in the LR. Tried to lure her out with food and Nori but no dice. Now to get her out! Any ideas? Theres no way im breaking a tank down / movin LR to get 1 fish out! I put 1 litre plastic bottles over the frogs so they wont get nipped.May buy a fishtrap unless anyone else has a good idea.

Thanks
Old 04/10/2005, 06:23 PM
TRC Leader

The fish trap, either DIY or commercial is the only way I can think of catching a fish in a reef tank. They tend to hide in the rockwork at night, so you can't just flip on the lights and catch it that way like you can some some stunned fish.
Old 04/10/2005, 06:39 PM
tiger eel

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ap.asp?CartId=
Old 04/10/2005, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Cheapest fish trap would be a piece of PVC pipe capped on one end. Cover it with live rock so it looks like a cave. Put food in every day and wait. It may take a few days for the fish to get used to it and gather enough courage to go into it but sooner or later you will.
Old 04/10/2005, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Use a fishing line with small hook and bait. Will work if it's not too shy.