Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Question New To Frogspaw

I want to get a frogspawn, as soon as I can, but before I do that, I need to know about their care. What kind of current and lighting/placement should they have in a 46 gal tank with T-5 lighting? I read that they can sting nearby corals alot, is this true? And do Sexy Shrimp or Anemone Shrimps/crabs or other inverts accept these as hosts?

Thanks
Old 01/04/2008, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Frogspawn in my tanks do best with med to med-low flow and med light. They tend to retract with higher flow. Its not normal for things to host in them but its not uncommon to have one do it once in awhile.

They tend to do fine next to other Frogspawn, hammers and some torches but you may want to watch them around others not in the same general family of corals. I have a hammer thats in high to constant contact with a wall frogspawn due to currents changing and they have been fine. Not sure how they would do if they were in 100% contact all the time though.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to follow along on this one. I just set up my first tank and this whole family of corals (torch, frogspawn, and mostly hammer) is very intriguing to me and I'd eventually like to get some of these in my tanks when I get a feel for what they need.
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:48 PM
Friend to Vallonia

I agree with the medium flow and medium lighting.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Yep Phyxius pretty much summed it up. They're really not hard to take care of.

The only thing I can add is that I recommend feeding them. I feed mine mysis and Cyclopeeze soaked in Selcon every other day and the color and growth rate is excellent.