Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Effect of salt water aquariums on septic systems?

We are looking at building a new house in a rural area that would require a septic system. I'm thinking that 5 to 10 gallons of salt water down the drain every week wouldn't be good. Anyone have any input on this?
Old 12/03/2007, 12:02 AM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

I don't know about the effect on the system, but if you live in a rural area, you could probably find a place to just dump it outside... which is essentially what a septic system is doing.

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 12/03/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

depends how much other grey/black water is going into the tank to dilute the 10 gal of salt water....you could upset the biological chemistry in the septic tank - do you get it pumped out annually or additives (bacteria etc)? If you dump it into the outside, the salt will eventually build up unless you have enough rainfall to leach the salts farther into the ground - usually causes grass to turn brown as we had a salt water pool (no chlorine) and backwashed into the backyard and where the drain from the pool hose was the grass hasnt grown back yet...
Old 12/03/2007, 12:33 AM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

Yeah, it definitely will kills grass and other plants... I was thinking along the lines of digging a hole for the water to leech into or finding a place that already doesn't have anything growing in it.

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 12/03/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

Dump it on the road then sweep the salt away once it's dried. Do watch where you dump it cause it can be very damaging since it can erode stuff....
Old 12/03/2007, 03:01 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by 918ReefCpl
If you dump it into the outside, the salt will eventually build up unless you have enough rainfall to leach the salts farther into the ground - usually causes grass to turn brown as we had a salt water pool (no chlorine) and backwashed into the backyard and where the drain from the pool hose was the grass hasnt grown back yet...
Holy cow at the light bulbs I can see going off in peoples heads right now...

One went off in mine, anyway... only to be very quickly put out...

Brandon
Old 12/03/2007, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

dump it down your driveway and around the end of your driveway. Salty driveway and driveway entrance=no ice
Old 12/03/2007, 04:07 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Thats a really good idea...

Brandon
Old 12/03/2007, 01:26 PM
Lazy Reefer!!!

that is a big no no on the salt in the septic. If not greatly diluted with other fresh water you will kill all the bacteria in the tank that is used to disolve and break down the solids in the tank. IT is not that you are just doing 10 gallons per week, but 10 gallons in a very potent concentratin over about a 3 minute time span on a weekly basis that gets you in trouble. If you are rural, andhave a "thicket" of trees, I would dump in there or in the culvert.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

I just stumbled across this thread when I searched for new posts. I think you should post this under the advanced topics forum. I have often wondered this same thing, and I think this could instigate a lively debate. lol

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

I have one with no ill effects. Remember your urine has a salinity of 1.30.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Yes, but a few people urinating throughout the day is not the same as doing a 30+ gallon water change at once. I always dump my waste water from the aquariums down the drain, but I still wonder if anyone has actually done any studies of it.

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm trying to figure out how you know what the salinity of urine is. Get bored one night? I'm kidding, I too have a septic but I never put saltwater down the drain. I just dump it outside on the gravel drive where I don't want grass or anything growing.
Old 12/03/2007, 06:13 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

I don't know about you all, but I urinate 10 gallons a week.

Brandon
Old 12/03/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL

Brandon
Information Overload!
Old 12/03/2007, 09:36 PM
1 clown short of a circus

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
I hope not all at once?!

When I was growing clowns at the house, I poured about 100-200g of saltwater a week into our septic system with no problems, and I still dump a lot of saltwater down the drain for quarantine/personal tanks. But...since it was/is so regular, I figure that we have a brackish community of decomposers living in there...

I don't know if I could recommend it, but with the amount of saltwater I was putting down there, one would think that if it was bad for septic tanks, we would have had some issues. The grass over the drainfield grew really well during that time as well

Matt

We do have an extra-large tank and drainfield though; you know how much we ETRC'ers like to eat
Old 12/03/2007, 10:44 PM
MTRC Treas

Well I dump mine outside and never have any problem with grass growing if I had a nice yard I would put it in the driveway if it is gravel. I use to live in MN and they dump salt on the roads all the time in the winter.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waynesworld
Well I dump mine outside and never have any problem with grass growing if I had a nice yard I would put it in the driveway if it is gravel. I use to live in MN and they dump salt on the roads all the time in the winter.
Yea I remember back in South Dakota and Iowa, they did the samething....dumping a lot of salt on the roads during winter time.....