Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Question Calling all Copperband Butterfly owners

Guys,

I need you'll advice, my question is I'm thinking about buying a CB Butterfly, however what type of care do they require. To let you know a little about my setup. 90 gal Reef/fish setup:

Types of Fish:
Naso tang
Fiji Fox Fish (might be selling him)
Purple tang
Yellow watchman
Orange Stripe Cardinal
Green Chromis
Mated Pair of Clown Fish
Blemmy Firefish

Tang setup:
dart reeflow/ ocean motion 4-way
2 175 watt MH
4 vho setup.
Plenty of L.R. that can out of a tank that was 8yrs old.
30 gal sump w/ refugium
ASM G4+ Skimmer
Mag 7 return pump

Water Quality:
Cal: 420 - 440
DKH: 9-10
Nitraite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I have plenty of corals my tank and they are doing great, will this guy work with what I currently have, and how hard are they to keep.

Please Advise.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

I had one for over 3 years in my reef and I ended up trading it for someone who had a bigger tank. In this time it never picked on any of my assortment of clams, soft corals and sps. Generally they are pretty safe when it comes to corals but any type of tube worm or feather duster is sure to be eaten. They may pick on something if it is not doing too well but they are pretty safe.

There are few things I would do and consider before getting a CBB.
First I think your tank is a little over-stocked. I would probably get rid of the Naso tang. They get way, way too big for a 90. I would worry about a Purple picking on the cbb as zebrasoma tangs can be pretty mean towards butterfly fishes.

the problem is that these fish are terrible shippers. Most of the specimens that come in are probably doomed within a short time. I used to work in the fish trade and I have seen more than my share of these come in in terrible shape. If you have any reservations about the specimen you may be buying reject it.

They need very calm settings when you first get them. They are usually not too hard to get feeding if you get a good specimen. a cracked open mussel or clam is good to get them feeding, mysis and things like that are good to start. They will take live blackworms with gusto but I would avoid them because they can cause problems with internal diseases and bacteria.

My best advice to you is to go for the best specimen you can find and feed the heck out of it. These fish can be hard to feed and I would always be cautious about it not feeding as problems with feeding are usually a sign of further problems.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:32 AM
Premium Member

I agree with James on all points. Definitely be worried about the Purple Tang giving the butterfly a hard time.

Also, these copperbands need to have their confidence boost when you get them. In my opinion, they should be housed alone for a couple of months, getting used to you, the feedings, and eating robustly.

Once they are brave, healthy, and fat, they can be introduced into your main tank. This would give them the best chance of adapting.

I also think the tank is small for the number of fish. It will be hard to keep water quality pristine.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Agree with above fully.

I have had mine for three months now. I went to three stores that had plenty in stock before I found one that was healthy and eating prepared foods agressively.
He had the feather dusters cleared out of my tank in a matter of hours. It took a little while longer for the aiptasia, but has done a great job of clearing it out as well and has not touched any of my other corals. I do not have any other fish that might give it trouble like tangs for instance. They are very skittish and scared by the slightest sudden movement or noise. However he is also very personable and will come right out to see me when I come near the tank and follow me around, begging for food.
He eats pe mysis more agressively than my coral beauty or my Clarkii pair but shows no interest in the massago (sushi roe) that I feed out a couple of times a week. BTW, massago is like crack for the clowns and angel. They get so excited when I feed it to them and litterally appear to go into hyperdrive eating it.