Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Eels anyone?

Has anyone had some success with eel breeding?
it can be FW, BW, or SW, just let me know.

Thank you.

We don't have the intelligence to view all variables in a situation; dooming us to make flawed systems reguardless of our planning. On the bright side we learn from our mistakes right?
Old 02/23/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I too would be interested if any one has heard of morays spawning in captivity. I thought there was book at aquatic-eco systems that disscused eel breeding but it dosn't seem to be there any more.
It would be cool if the smaller morays could be spawned in captivity.
Old 02/24/2007, 03:16 AM
Moved On

There have been reported spawnings of moray eels in aquaria. It happens frequently in large systems such a public aquariums. In fact Frank Marini has had zebras spawn in his tank for him.

Most species that I am aware of are protygeneous hermaphrodites. In most instances simply obtaining two juvies and raising them together will produce a pair.

Spawning however is the "easy" part. The eel larvae have a very prolonged pelagic stage rendering them impossible to raise up to this point. It has been suggested that in the early stages the larvae may obtain their nutrition through via diffusion through their paper thin skin.

Your best bet for breeding is probably to try a smaller species such as snowflakes or chain-links. Purchase two juvies and raise them together in a large 180+.

The only way I can for-see raising the babies is in a very large saltwater pond full of phytoplankton, plankton etc...(probably not real feasible...)

But at any rate good luck!!

FWIW...there is no such thing as a true fresh water eel (at least that I am aware of, I could be wrong) The ones you see offered for sale are actually saltwater species that have been collected in mildly brackish waters as young adults.

Colby
Old 02/24/2007, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by colby

The only way I can for-see raising the babies is in a very large saltwater pond full of phytoplankton, plankton etc...(probably not real feasible...)

But at any rate good luck!!

FWIW...there is no such thing as a true fresh water eel (at least that I am aware of, I could be wrong) The ones you see offered for sale are actually saltwater species that have been collected in mildly brackish waters as young adults.

Colby
Not meaning to discourage anybody,but I should concentrate efforts (both individual and colective) in something more feasible.

As per FW eels,there are many (not true) eels,like Symbranchus,Mastacembalus,etc.
Regarding true eels (Anguilla),though they drift in the oceans during their larval phase,they are FW most of their lives,only returning to SW to spawn (and die?).
And I have seen FW morays in lfs,and we have another one in the River Plate.But I don´t know if these are brackish forms tokerating FW.
So I¨d agree with Colby if he uses "moray"instead of "eel"here
Old 02/24/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Can the Golden Dwarf Moray Eel (Gymnothorax melatremus) be paired in the same way?

And would a smaller tank work with this speices?

There abit pricey but they seem to be very popular, and if they could be raised it would be easy to sell them. I was wondering if you raised the larvae outdoors in a big tank with lots of rots if this would work.
Old 02/25/2007, 03:09 AM
Moved On

Talking

Ooops...I meant to write moray..

And yes, the Golden Dwarfs can be paired the same...
Old 02/25/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

What about green morays?

I know they would need a larger tank, around 500 gallons, but how are they conspecifically?

What are most morays' tolerances to one another?

thank you.

We don't have the intelligence to view all variables in a situation; dooming us to make flawed systems reguardless of our planning. On the bright side we learn from our mistakes right?
Old 02/25/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Here is an artical on the Green Moray, it talks about Green Moray reproduction

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Galler...reenMoray.html
Old 02/25/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

As an after thought does any one know where I can find more information on the Moray larvel stage?

Thanks