Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

More color on the top fin IIRC. And it will get visibly bigger than the rest.

They will go back to schooling again, just give em time (ours did ). It helps if you have some other, bigger, fish in there to trigger their schooling insticts/behavior
Old 12/10/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

The pink will spread to most of the front of the fish and he'll develop a long dorsal spine that he can prop up. His back fin will start getting longer and then develop tiny purple streamers ~1//4"long.

It's usually the largest one with the most pink that'll end up being the male. The females will continue to have the bilateral (top yellow/bottom pink) coloration.

Mine only school when it's feeding time =)
Old 12/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey, Spencer.

How bout a pic of the hippo tang? =D
Old 12/10/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the identification guys, but I also heard that all female will eventually turn male in no time which is quite of contrary to what Scott Michael stated earlier in his book about Anthias which one male with harem with several female in a tank and the male will bully and harrass the small female from time to time.

Why would the bartlett's be any different than other anthia say lyritail or squirehead, not that I don't want to see more colorful male but I also would like to see them courtship just like in the wild.

Spencer
Old 12/10/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

we have 11 bartletts for a month or so now (and now 4 Dispar) and we only have 1 male Bartlett and have not lost any (which they also say will happen once the Anthias start "all turning male"). I think it all has to do with each persons tank setup and other tank inhabitants. There are many threads about it here on RC. One thing I also read was that once one starts to change into a male it can happen within a weeks time (or less). So I wholly expect one of yours to start showing distinct male features sooner than later. The male's emergence will also help keep the school together.
Old 12/10/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

I have a 90g and would really like some Bartlett anthias, but I don't want to stock too heavily. I'm thinking of getting 3 females. Will they school together after one of them turns male?
Old 12/10/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Rudy, sorry about the pic of hippo, I will post one soon, good memory by the way.

Tom, thanks for the insight, good luck with the potter and the flame wrasses. hope they will all emerge sooner than later especially the potter.

Spencer
Old 12/10/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rekonn
I have a 90g and would really like some Bartlett anthias, but I don't want to stock too heavily. I'm thinking of getting 3 females. Will they school together after one of them turns male?
I don't know if 3 is enough of a number to get them to "stick together" I thought I read that 4 was a better starting #, but to be honest I could be way off on that. Maybe some people with more expertise will chime in on this topic
Old 12/10/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
I don't know if 3 is enough of a number to get them to "stick together" I thought I read that 4 was a better starting #, but to be honest I could be way off on that. Maybe some people with more expertise will chime in on this topic
Tom,

I had two for a number of years until the GFI popped last year (tank transitions are BAD). They are VERY passive compared to other anthias.

They attack food more than they attack each other.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

And they do "attack" the food LOL

How are you (and your tank(s)) doing this Holiday Season ? long time no chat
Old 12/10/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

This is the Regal Tang which I got form Rudy aka Jellygee about two months ago. The much long overdue pictures which I promised.

Old 12/11/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Wow, beautiful pics! Jellygee, have any more hepatus tangs? A lot of the ones I see in stores have odd marks and blemishes, this one looks perfect.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

3 of them will also school, but the less dominant female does get picked on. That's what happened when I kept 3 in a 40 back in the days. These guys attack food like it's their last meal.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
And they do "attack" the food LOL

How are you (and your tank(s)) doing this Holiday Season ? long time no chat
Doing well. I'm fighting a bout of fish malaise, but I seem to be over the hump. No kidding. I've been super busy this season. I'm switching jobs. How fun is that?

I had a Hawaiian bicolor that would smash any anthias into the ground. I never put any anthias with it, but it aggressive with other fish. The Bartlett's were pansies compared to that fish.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Spencer: one word, "Beautiful~~~. I almost cried , hiks =p
I can tell he is very happy in your tank. I'm glad he went to a better home since my tank is small for him. I'm surprised he is not shy cause he usually hides in the rocks.

Rekonn: That Hippo Tang is the only tang I had. All my other fish are clownfish.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Rudy for the compliment, the hippo is far from shy, he comes out early in the morning, the last one goes inside the rock to rest after lights shut off. Always hangs in front of tank begging for food, as he eats like a pig. I am very happy to have him around.
Spencer
Old 12/12/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Glad you are happy with the Hippo, Spencer.
He seems to adapt to the metal halides with no problem. Yes, he does eat like a pig (which is why most of my clownfish are skinny).
Don't know if you notice, but if you look at his lips closely you will see his front teeth (like those on a rabbit). I tried to take the pic of it but I had no luck.

By the way, gorgeous tank. I want to be able to check it out in person one of these days. =)