Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Question MANDARIN BLOAT??

was wondering if any of you have had this problem in the past. weve had our madarin for roughly 2 years, and within the last 6 months hes grown to look like he has a grape on each side of him. I dont know if hes just a PIG or something could be wrong. He acts fine. we do have a problem with bubble algea that we are working on, wonder if he has swallowed some of the bubble and its growing inside of him.(long shot). but anyway any thoughts would be great.

Thanks alot Lee

yes your rit i can't spell
Old 12/30/2007, 10:57 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Male or Female Mandarin? Possible eggs if female. I would think they would bloat before they drop eggs. Of coarse without a male they will just be great coral and fish food.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I have seen a mandarin at a LFS here that looks like it swallowed a marble. They won't sell it as they say it is a hernia of sorts. It has been like this better then 2 years in their reef.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:02 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Possible to post any photos? You may have just had a boost of pods in the last month or so and it has fattened up. If it helps most of the mandarins you see in the store are very skinny and close to starving to death. Mine had fattened up to twice the size it was when I got him because of all the pods he is eating in my tank. If it is just getting big all over my guess would be it's healthy. If it is in a particular location and doesn't look natural I would worry.

Hope this helps. Try to post pics.
Jon
Old 12/31/2007, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a1amap
Male or Female Mandarin? Possible eggs if female. I would think they would bloat before they drop eggs. Of coarse without a male they will just be great coral and fish food.
Al, Not sure if it is a male or female. Its the only madorin in the tank. Ill post a pic later maybe someone can tell me what sex it is. Thanks for the post Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by asm481
I have seen a mandarin at a LFS here that looks like it swallowed a marble. They won't sell it as they say it is a hernia of sorts. It has been like this better then 2 years in their reef.
asm, thats good to know that it has lived for that time frame mine has been like this for somewhere around 6 months, but iv had him for 2 years i guess. Thanks for the post Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious
Possible to post any photos? You may have just had a boost of pods in the last month or so and it has fattened up. If it helps most of the mandarins you see in the store are very skinny and close to starving to death. Mine had fattened up to twice the size it was when I got him because of all the pods he is eating in my tank. If it is just getting big all over my guess would be it's healthy. If it is in a particular location and doesn't look natural I would worry.
Hope this helps. Try to post pics.
Jon
Jon, Ill post some pics when the lights come on. around its mid section is where it looks like it has swallowed 2 marbles one on each side. it doesnt act like its in pain or anything is wrong. it just acts like it always has, searching for food. If you ask me it doesnt look natural. but it acts normal Thanks for the post Lee

Old 01/02/2008, 12:22 PM

Pics?
Old 01/02/2008, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Pics?
Sorry its just a busy time of year as you all know. Ill get them up as soon as possible. hopefully before you are on vac. Lee

Old 01/02/2008, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Pics?
heres some bad pics i took zoomed in with the video camera. Ill keep trying to get better but this gives you a rough idea. hopefully you can see it. click on the thumb below it will open a new pic up.

Old 01/02/2008, 11:18 PM

Has eggs or is sick. I would try posting this image in the fish disease forum as well as the fish breeding forum. Will send you a PM as well.

Jon
Old 01/03/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks alot jon, Ill try your suggestions. wish i could get a better picture. every picture i take turns out bad. I dont believe that it is eggs, its been like this for couple months now.

Old 01/04/2008, 07:33 AM

I would spread those images around and see what people think. I believe there is enough in the images for people to tell what is going on.

Good luck,
Jon
Old 01/04/2008, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

looks just like the one at a LFS by me. Been like that for a couple years.