Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Orchid Dottyback +++++

What have you guys successfully kept in your tanks with an orchid dottyback? Will it be too aggressive for a pretty peaceful reef?
Old 12/15/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Go with a Fridmani pseudochromis. You can hardly tell them apart from orchid dottybacks and they are excellent and peaceful fish.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:17 AM
Reefer

I added a neon dottyback to my 135g reef. It killed all 5 peppermint shrimp in the tank and over-competed for pods (my mandarin got skinny). It is kind of a bully too. I got it out of my reef with a homemade trap and put in my 75 fowlr. He chases the damsel and watchman that are in there. I will be adding a trigger and a couple other fairly agressive fish before long, hopefully they will put it in it's place.

I'm not sure if orchids are as bold as neons, but I would not try one in my reef
Old 12/15/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

I had one for about 2 months before he jumped; although he was pretty to look at, his behavior left a lot to be desired... aggressive towards other fish and shrimp, but unlike most aggressive fish, didn't show any boldness at all, and spent most of the time hiding.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

i thought orchid dottyback and fridmani psuedochromis were the same? Has anyone successfully kept and orchid with a clown pair?
Old 12/15/2007, 07:55 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by strikleebizness
i thought orchid dottyback and fridmani psuedochromis were the same? Has anyone successfully kept and orchid with a clown pair?
the Orchid Dottyback is Pseudochromis fridmani. This species is often confused with the Strawberry Dottyback. Unlike other members of the family, Orchids are peaceful. They are being captive raised nowdays but were originally collected from the Red Sea and used to cost around $100 each.
You can add multiple fridamani to the same aquarium and I strongly suggest that you do so- it's fairly easy to get them to spawn.
They won't bother Clownfishes.
The blinding color of a fridmani is still one of the best in any marine fish IMO.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I got mixed up there, I was thinking strawberry/purple dottyback, not fridmani.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

fridmani is one of my favorite fish by far. The irradescance of it under the actinics is amazing. I remember those days before tank bred ones. $100 each. LFS by me is now at $50 and petco has tank bred ones for $25

Also a note.. Petco commonly mislables the fridmani as a strawberry pseudo. 13 bux.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

so tank raised orchid will be peaceful? You would recommend adding 2 at once?? I also have 2 purple firefish...thats seems like it might be a problem
Old 12/15/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

mine is a model fish, peacefull as can be

Old 12/15/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

so was that doddy introduced last? or is he just the dream fish? I really want one, I'm just worried (or have heard) he could be a terror in the tank.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:27 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by strikleebizness
so was that doddy introduced last? or is he just the dream fish? I really want one, I'm just worried (or have heard) he could be a terror in the tank.
it's a case of mistaken identity. People confuse the two species (Orchid and Strawberry) all of the time. Although they appear similar their personalities are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Orchid Dottybacks are no terrors- in fact, they'll spend much of the time hiding in the rockwork.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:01 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

No problems here either with an Orchid (not Strawberry - the evil twin) DB.

My Orchid has been living peacefully for over 4 years now with a pair of Clownfish, Yellow Tang, and Coral Beauty Angel among other peaceful fish. Have had various shrimp in there, too with no problems

The Orchid Dottyback didn't even bother the Clownfish eggs and I raised several batches of Clownfish larvae harvested out of that tank.

I agree with other posts that the Orchid is a BEAUTIFUL fish who mostly hangs out in the rockwork.

Many Dottybacks can be ornery stinkers but the Orchid is known for being the most peaceful of the group.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

My Orchid is peaceful, almost timid. I wish it came out of the rockwork more because it is a stunner.