Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

180 gallon LPS reef build

first, a little background. i have a 240 gallon mixed reef

my wife has always been interested in the tank, but it was always mine to take care of for the most part. recently, she decided to set up a tank of her own. it was a small acrylic tank i made, and she set it up as a mantis and micromussa tank. as she started adding more blastos , micros, acans and duncans, she realized quickly that she would not be able to grow the corals the way she wanted in that small tank.

here is her mantis setup not too long after setting it up

so begins the build of her 180 gallon (or so) reef.

today, i brought home the glass and put together the tank. it is 6'X2'X2'

i will be building everything. here are some pics of the construction of the the tank. i used 3/8" glass for the tank and 1/4" glass for the bracing around the inside of the bottom and the top. i am also using black silicone.

the glass in the truck - it is amazing how many more bumps you notice in the road when the truck is full of glass

glass in the house

bottom with bracing siliconed into place

one side and one end in place

three sides

prepping for fourth side - yes, she is helping me build where she can

completed tank - after she cleans off the tape and excess silicone, i will do the finish seams inside the corners tomorrow evening.

will try and update as we go.

tank build thread linked to the little red house.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 12/22/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

hi,,is this starphire glass? how much did you pay for all the glass ?? is glass polished??
Old 12/22/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

nice job, looks great. what kind of silicon were you using out of couriousity.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

no, it isnt starfire glass. i have a friend with a business so i got the glass wholesale for $350. the cheapest i found retail was about $550

not sure what you mean by polished, it is just clean cut and they barely grind the sharp edge off so it is easily handleable.

i am using GE silicone II from Lowe's.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 12/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

ace--

im diggin it brotha! cant wait to see this thing take shape and rock out!!!

-marcus
Old 12/22/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

WOW. Did you build your 240g yourself also? Have any tips to building a glass tank, espcially how to do a clean silicone job. I imagine alot has to do with experience.

Trying to learn everything about something and something about everything...
Old 12/22/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TRITON1
WOW. Did you build your 240g yourself also? Have any tips to building a glass tank, espcially how to do a clean silicone job. I imagine alot has to do with experience.
no, the 240 is from glass cages. it is the only part of that system that i didnt build. there is no such thing as a clean silicone job when joining the pieces, only some hard work with a razorblade afterward. once that is cleaned up, tape to keep the silicone where you want it in the corners for the finishing seal on the inside gives you nice straight lines.

Old 12/22/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

actually you can do a pretty good silicon job, a good trick is to use water in a glass and just dip your finger in it on each stoke. The silicon just forms clean from doing it that way gives it a good finished look. But, in any event very good looking tank.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

yeah, that is what i will do when applying the silicone on the inside of the tank in the corner seams, along with tape to make sure to get straight lines. i was talking about the original assembly of the tank when it squishes out as you press the seams together tightly.

Quote:
Originally posted by MN. Reef crzy
actually you can do a pretty good silicon job, a good trick is to use water in a glass and just dip your finger in it on each stoke. The silicon just forms clean from doing it that way gives it a good finished look. But, in any event very good looking tank.

Old 12/22/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks great!
Old 12/22/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

you're brave! lookin good, thanks for sharing
Old 12/23/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

oh i see what you are saying sorry. I have never even built one i just know all the tricks to siliconing from the trades. You just make it look so easy, it makes me one try and build one. So than you just used regular glass?
Old 12/26/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Ace, where in the house is this thing going? And is it going to be plumbed into the larger system?

Very nice by the way....
Old 12/26/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Very nice! I would be too afraid to do it myself
Old 12/26/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the comments.... working on the stand and sump today - maybe an update tonight or tomorrow, depends on how much i get finished before i have too much beer to draw a straight line

Quote:
Originally posted by maelv
Ace, where in the house is this thing going? And is it going to be plumbed into the larger system?

Very nice by the way....
thanks, it is going in the breakfast room - on the other side of the kitchen. we used to have a lori who's enclosure was on that wall, but he passed last year because of some bad food we got him. the wall has stayed empty since - really depressing every time i walk by. this will be a nice change

Old 12/26/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobogato
thanks for all the comments.... working on the stand ........
Ace,
I may have to stop by again....I built the frame for my 220, but really don't have a good idea on skinning the stand.....could learn a thing or two...get some ideas...

ismael
Old 12/27/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

well, i got the pieces cut for the stand and sump yesterday. built the sump last night while watching tv. hopefully i will get the stand and canopy built today. still have to build a skimmer, drill the tank and build an overflow, plumb it up, and figure out what to do about lighting. we are gonna use mostly t5 since this will not be an sps tank, but we got a great deal on a couple of 150 watt DE HQI lights, so they will be used as well.

here is all the lumber i will use in the back of the truck

here is all the acrylic i will use for the sump, skimmer and overflow

the pieces for the frame of the stand

the pieces for the skin of the stand

the pieces cut for the sump

gluing the first part of the sump

sump water test this morning

Old 12/27/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Looks great ACE! Guys this man can build practically anything so im sure this tank will stand the test of time.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

VERY SWEET
Old 12/27/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

thanks ray and predator.

got the stand built and skinned, just have to make it look purdy tomorrow.

stand framed out - the three vertical braces in the back are not glued in, so i can remove them to put in the sump

skinned out - still have to cut notches in the bottom so it will fit flush against the wall. the tank will butt up against the vertical pieces in the back of the sides so none of the plumbing behind the tank will be visible.

Old 12/28/2007, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your bird. I lost two dogs this year so I know how sad it can be.
Your work is amazing. I can't wait to see it up and running especially since it will be an lps tank instead of sps.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

thanks amanda.

made a little progress today. fabricated some molding. got the doors framed - still have to cut the frames with a router to improve the looks

drilled the two drain holes - 2" bulkheads

and the overflow built and installed

here are some pics of some of the equipment that will be used:

blue line return and skimmer pumps. the 100 will be return only, and the 70 will be split between return and skimmer (still have to make that)

a couple of 150 watt DE HQI setups - we were going to go all t5, but these were too good a deal to pass up.

a couple of hydor #4s to add a little more flow in the tank - dont want too add too much since it will not be an sps tank.

Old 12/29/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

didnt get much done today. bought the rest of the plumbing parts (hopefully all of em) and prepared the back of the tank for the foam we are gonna use by applying a thin layer of silicone on the inside of the glass and all over the overflow. also got some of the molding done on the stand, still have to do some router work and add the crown molding and baseboard molding

Old 12/30/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Awesome woodworking. Sorry to hear about your loss. I have a Greencheeked Conure, I'd die if I lost him. What type of lori did oyu have? Also, where did you get the bit to drill the holes for the bulkhead?
Old 12/30/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

I would change those sch 40 bulkheads to sch 80.