Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 11/05/2006, 07:42 PM
Carpet Surfer

How many of yall go fishless?

I am thinking of starting another nano after all these years with a 75. One thing I always had in the past with small tanks was algae/cyano/dyno problems. I'm thinking of doing something with zoas, leathers, and shrooms. Probably in a 20L since I have one sitting here.

I'd like to keep it basic (no sump, fuge, or skimmer). Have any of you been successful with minimum maintenance tanks fish free? I'd like to hear any thoughts you might have to share.
Old 11/06/2006, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

It could work depending on amount of LR and youf feeding schedule. What do you consider minimual maint?
Old 11/06/2006, 06:13 PM
Carpet Surfer

Basically weekly water changes set it and forget it kind of reef. My main concern is keeping pest growth to a minimum. No fish = no daily fish feeding = little to no nutrient import.

For those of you who do go fishless in your nano, what do you feed the tank and how often? Have you had problems with pest "algae"s? Just share some of your experience with me. I don't want to do this and end up tearing it down because it's taking up too much time.
Old 11/06/2006, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Well I have a 12g Nanocube with no fish. I have zoas, LPS xenia and SPS. I don't keep an eye on it, I don't do water changes, don't add any suppliments, and just don't do anything but huge water top offs every couple days lol. I pretty much do everything you are not supposed to. My one piece of SPS under 48W of PC lighting has grown quite a bit since I got it 6 months ago (I got it when it was a 1/2" single branch now its a few branches, about 2 1/2" tall and 3" wide) my xenia grows out of control which i bring to my LFS for store credit. My zoas grow at a steady rate and my hammer has gone from 5 heads to 8 heads. I did have a hair algae problem that is clearing up (hair algae grew because tank was next to the window). I don't use any filter media like charcoal, filter floss or filter pads. I use my nano skimmer just to produce air bubbles because I realized when that it wasn't running all my coral looked like crap.

I used to have two clowns, and was keeping the tank the same way but people were telling me I was going to have trouble if i didn't do water changes and keep up with the maintenance. So I did a water change, both the clowns got stressed and got ich (I woke up the next morning and realized it). I setup a QT and tried to get them better but unfortunetly they couldn't shake it. So since that day I decided I was going to stick with what is working, and that was just letting the tank take care of itself.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, or anyone.. but it has worked for me.

-Brian
Old 11/06/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

You can always keep inverts that you feed ...
Old 11/06/2006, 07:05 PM
Carpet Surfer

I've been thinking about what invert(s) I may want in this tank.

I don't want any serpent/brittle stars. They eat too much micro fauna out of the substrate.

No shrimp. Last time I had a shrimp in a nano it was a coral banded nightmare. Aside from the eating fish, it also tromped around on corals too much.

Stomalella snails are in. Maybe one blue leg.

One mobile tank inhabitant would be nice, I just don't know what yet. That would be one of my last additions.
Old 11/06/2006, 07:21 PM
*Pico Freak*

I'm starting up a 29 SPS only and i'm not going to have any fish.
Old 11/06/2006, 07:33 PM
Carpet Surfer

SPS would probably not do well in my intended nano. I have a 39 "cube" going right now that is SPS only (acropora actually) less the anemone clownfish pair. That is my time taker upper.

Last edited by musicsmaker; 11/06/2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11/06/2006, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

have you ever thought of a mantis tank. they are cool and you will not need to keep anything else because it will kill it anyway. they are fine with some coral too.
Old 11/06/2006, 11:23 PM
Carpet Surfer

No mantis. Too much bio-load for what I'm looking to accomplish.
Old 11/07/2006, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

I had 3 tanks that are fishless. Past-tense because I added a red-headed goby to the 20 tall.
The other two tanks are 3 gallons (almost a year old) and 1.5 (2+ years old) gallons.
Both are very stable, even with infrequent feedings a few times a week. I see almost no adverse effects (zoanthid growth appears stunted) from my almost shamefully few water changes (ie: once every few months).
The amphipods, mysid shrimps, and bristleworm populations are doing very well since there are no natural predators. A ball of cheato helps with nutrient export though I rarely have to trim it.
A couple hermits and some nassarius snails are the only critters (not counting pods/worms) in both tanks. Oh, Theres a sexy shrimp in the 1.5 also. There used to be three but two of them didnt make it though the heat wave last summer.

Hope this helps.
Old 11/07/2006, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

It should be possible given the types of corals you listed in your original post. Many people have success with soft corals in a no-skimmer system.

The interesting thing, however, is that the vast majority of people with algae-free tanks have fish. So I think that might be a minor flaw in the scientific analysis you did which led you to the conclusion that no fish means no algae. I suppose you can search for the actual cause of your algae problems later when your fishless tank develops algae. Algae is a pain!
Old 11/07/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Check out this website, if you haven't already. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/index.html

Order the package and follow the instructions. Once the tank is established he recommends 10% water changes every couple of months.

His live rock is the best you will find anywhere. You will have some work in the beginning, but in that size tank all your work will last a month maybe and then you get to enjoy the beauty.
Old 11/07/2006, 09:13 PM
Moved On

Hey man, how's it going? My input is I have a 10 gallon now, I liked it better when there wasn't a fish in there (you know me-can't keep'm breathing) It was better, there was more bugs. When the chalk basslet dies, no more. Jen
Old 11/08/2006, 08:48 AM
Geek

I caught the word shrimp and just have to add my $.02 - coral banded shrimp have been known to be bullies of the shrimp world.

If you really wanna go nano? Check out a sexy shrimp- they are very very tiny and wonderful to watch - they sway their abdomen in the current and are just.. Okay if I could cuddle one I would! They also sometimes host in corals\anemones

I also have a skunk cleaner who is also a very nice shrimp who leaves my corals alone and loves to hop on my hand and clean it when I am working in my tank.

My nano right now is leaning toward a shrimp tank theme so maybe I'm biased but I think they're very interesting- moreso than some fish sometimes

So thats my recommendation if you decide to put "something" in even if you stay fishless