Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

PC vs T5

I have been doing alot of research and ask alot of questions on this topic. I know T5 are alot better, and put out more par then PCs. My question is it worth it to go from 4x96 pcs to 4x54 ATI t5s. I know its less wattage but from what ive heard it doesnt matter bc T5 produce more usable light. Anyway the fixture is $550. Is it worth it?
Old 01/11/2008, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

If you want to keep corals, then YES.

If a fish only then no, Your PC's will be fine.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

I have a BTA- monti caps- shrooms, leathers, zoos. Everything has been doing fine for over a year. The bulbs are do for a changing that is the reason im thinking about the upgrade. Is there a noticable difference and will a 4x54 T5 fixture really put out that much more light then my pcs?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Every body's tanks are different , but when I got back into the hobby I had a 92gal corner with a 4x96 PCs.

I was able to keep shrooms fine but my toadstool, frogspan, and some LPS's just keep shrinking or wilting. My tank was 24" deep so I got a MH, PC combo system and man.. they all just took off.

I then up-graded to a 125 and got a T-5 (14x39w) system. Man, It rocks. My zoa, toadstool, frogspan, LPS, SPS, BTA, and much more are growing like wildfire.

I think if you want to add more stuff then T-5's is the way to go, but if the PC's are working for you then there's really no need. You just may be limited as to what you can add in the future.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

I guess my question is how much more light will this fixture put out?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wegotcrabs
I guess my question is how much more light will this fixture put out?
A Ton!
Old 01/12/2008, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Oh man T5 all the way - bulbs usually have a life span of a year and half of usuable light at about 20-40 per bulb give or take your lfs or e-store opposed to 6 mo of pc usuable light at nearly a given 40-70 per bulb.

For Example 3 yrs.
PC will be replaced 6 times at say 50.00 x 4 = 200 per cycle twice a year = 400.00 x 3 = 1200.00 total for three years.

T5 with 54w helio bulb replacements
14.00 x 4 = 56.00 changed twice in 3 years = 112.00

These figures are very brief and it is late so I hope my math is correct. I got these prices from a site sponsor so in my opinion the numbers do the talking. Most people dont change their pc bulbs every six months like suggested but usually see a rapid decline from an insufficient bulb immediately afterwards. Plus like everyone else has experience t5 bulbs reach a lower depth and consume less wattage