Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club

Old 01/09/2008, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Controllers anyone?

Anyone using a controller such as the Neptune or ReefKeeper? Which do you guys prefer and why? Most likely, I will keep the wavemaking on the Tunze controller so that functionality is not so important to me.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:52 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

I use RK1 and run RK2s on Rogers system but have switched to the Profilux unit recently as it offers far more sensor capability and functionality and works with Tunze equipment, even has an electronic eye sensor like the osmolators, so one unit can do it all.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:02 PM
Flow Master

I think the profilux units are going to be great, from what I have read about them. I know neptune is also going to add a tunze controller to their systems in the future. Just do not know how far down the road that will be. Also I do not know how big of a price difference there is between a profilux and an aquacontroller Jr or RK2

Ron, how many tunzes will the profilux control? Also will it do as many different functions as the 7095?

Carb, to answer you question between the RKs and Neptunes, IMO the neptune systems beat them hands down. They have greater adjustments and more functions. However, they are more difficult to program.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Phil where did you hear that neptune is adding a tunze controller to there systems? That would be awesome!

Neptune does currently offer the aquasurf which is a controller that is in competition with the Tunze 7095. That might be what you had heard about.

I agree with phil about the reefkeeper vs aquacontroller. I would definitely go with the aquacontroller lineup over the reefkeeper. I have no experience with the proflux.

I currently use an aquacontroller Jr and am happy with it.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

The difficulty to program was a bit of a concern. I see that Neptune has some additional software that you can buy, or you can write code. I supposed you can also do some of it on the device directly. I have a minuscule amount of programming knowledge but it is not an everyday skill set of mine.

The Profilux may very well be a trump card, but it seems so very pricey. They start at $450. Does the basic model have the osmolators functionality, Tuzne multicontroller capability, PH probe, and temp probe? Because I can get an Osmolator for about $200 and a decent AquaController for $250. That doesn't count in the value of the Tunze multicontroller but that is not something I could utilize at this point. Also, the $450 cost of admission is steep. It is easier for me to buy 3 seperate $200 items than it is a single $450 item.. if that makes sense.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:23 PM
Flow Master

Quote:
Originally posted by MattG
Phil where did you hear that neptune is adding a tunze controller to there systems? That would be awesome!

Neptune does currently offer the aquasurf which is a controller that is in competition with the Tunze 7095. That might be what you had heard about.

I agree with phil about the reefkeeper vs aquacontroller. I would definitely go with the aquacontroller lineup over the reefkeeper. I have no experience with the proflux.

I currently use an aquacontroller Jr and am happy with it.
When I was trying to figure out how to get the ACJR to control my pH, the Neptune people on the sponsor forum were talking about adding the tunze controller in the near future to their product line. Of course that was about six months ago. I would say they will have to do it to keep up with competition.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

The programming on the aquacontroller is easy. I would not worry about that at all. If you have ANY programming experience it will be a breeze. It uses mainly simple if/then statements. Its similar to the basic programing language.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

www.aquariumcontrollers.com

This guy has done some amazing research on controllers. There is an EXCEL spreadsheet that compares all the controllers he has heard of. Using the compare feature I think I like the ACIIIpro over the Profilux. But I don't think I would be disappointed with either.

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]
Old 01/10/2008, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Also remember most units are just the base unit and other features are add-ons $$$$
U'm running a Biotope and for the money is an awesome unit
Doesn't need additional devices to make it work, can be programmed from th unit itself or laptop/desktop which is easier.
Will also send a daily report or e-mail alerts if something is out of whack. Also does a whole lot more, has dimming a seasonal feature temp control pH contol ORP control CA control lights pumps

Check it out
http://www.rc-squared.com/
Old 01/10/2008, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Biotope is on the comarison sheet. I'll check it out.

www.aquariumcontrollers.com

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]
Old 01/10/2008, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

If you need more information about it let me know or you can get in-touch with Ron on here.
I was torn between this and an AC3 pro but decided I wouldn't ever use the full potential of it either.
Mine is the Deluxe version.
Ask if I'd buy it again? YES it works great, the only thing I wish it had was a built in battery backup (however even if the power goes out it doesn't loose your settings, the clock just goes to whatever time)

Easily fixed with an UPS though, needed it for the puter anyway
Anyways it's worth it
Old 01/11/2008, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

neptune aqua controllers are what i use I have a 2 and a 3 they are easy to do what ever you want with. I will probably get one from ronc
if I get another one.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:30 PM
Flow Master

It says on this site http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/ that the aquacontrollers have the option to control tunze, does anyone know what this means>
Old 01/11/2008, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

http://www.saltycritter.com/neptune/...er-control.htm

Scroll about 3/4 down this link for the AquaController. So this means the Tunze can now be controlled with the Neptune equipment?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:45 PM
Flow Master

Yes, that is what I was talking about earlier, did not know it was already on the market.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1035647

Here is a link talking about it, I'm on page 7 so far and still don't know how the book ends.