Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/24/2007, 02:42 PM
I play with water

Thanks for the heads up Howard. Sfiligoi doesn't have the world's greatest instructions so it's going to take a bit of snooping around before I know how it's all put together. I'm sure I'll get the light sorted out one way or another. Right now the light has been off for the last several days as I drained the tank in preparation for saltwater. But since I doubt I can make a water delivery happen anytime before New Years I guess I'm going to have to be patient for just a little bit longer.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Brett
Old 12/24/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Very Very nice. I'd love to see those lights on.... Merry Christmas
Old 12/24/2007, 08:23 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by asmodeus; 12/24/2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Putawaywet - Do you have a Apogee Par Meter? I would really like to see some numbers from the Sfiligoi Stealth fixture.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:25 PM
I play with water

Unfortauntely no, but once everything is up and running I'll be happy to extend my hospitality to anyone who shows up with one in hand. Bonus points awared if you can appreciate a nice highland single malt.

brett
Old 12/24/2007, 11:37 PM
I play with water

I tried getting a camera shot with the lights on and unfortauntely my white balance was not adjusted properly. The eyes they see white, but the camera she sees blue.

Brett
Old 12/25/2007, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

Very impressive setup... I like the light fixture
Old 12/25/2007, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

i was looking at your pictures and i must say your stand makes me nervous. can you give some more info on it. i don't see any cross/diaginal bracing at all. Long beach was the epicenter for one of california's biggest quakes.

i can't tell if there is any kind of padding, foam or otherwise under the tank. is there?

Carl
Old 12/25/2007, 08:19 AM
I play with water

The stand is constructed out of 1.5" .125 wall welded steel tubing. The divider walls, flooring and upper deck are 3/4" ply and the entire thing was coated in Linux to prevent oxidation. On top of that a 2nd piece of 3/4" ply is glued down to the upper decking for added support under the tank. I figure if we take a hit out here big enough to bring down that tank then I have bigger issues to deal with than some water on the floor. If nothing else, it will help put out the fire from the ruptured gas line.

In all honesty, I worry more about the upstairs neighbors becoming downstairs roommates if the big one hits. That and the fact that everything will more than likely be toast if the power is out for more than a day or two. I have 24 hours of battery backup and then I start rounding up the kids so we can begin making bubbles in the tank with straws.

Padding is .5" bead foam insulation. I wouldn't have even given it a second thought as padding is generally only used in glass tank installs but SoCal felt it certainly couldn't hurt and brought the padding along when they delivered the tank so down it went.

Brett

Last edited by Putawaywet; 12/25/2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

awesome plumbing.....very neat and clear....even someone babysit your tank will know where the flow go...:-)

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

socal built my tank too and they didn't bring me any padding when they deliverd the tank, they did say the warranty is no good without the padding. we know how valid that warranty is now and my tank doesn't even have water in it yet to test it.

Carl
Old 12/25/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

I am currently upgrading to a 350 and was wondering why you decided to go with the T5s instead of MH and is your tank going to be SPS dominated?
Old 12/26/2007, 12:24 AM
I play with water

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefski's
socal built my tank too and they didn't bring me any padding when they deliverd the tank, they did say the warranty is no good without the padding. we know how valid that warranty is now and my tank doesn't even have water in it yet to test it.

Carl
They certainly made no mention of a voided warranty in any of our conversations. The impression I got was they felt it just added extra protection and certainly wouldn't do any harm. I asked if they coupld provide a pad and they said they could if I liked. I found out the day of delivery they swung by the hardware store and picked it up on the way over.

Obviously their shutting down the business kills any warranty, and trust me when I say I have gone over my tank with a fine toothed comb looking for any and all possible future issues. But at some point you just have to stop beating yourself up with those "what-ifs" and move forward. I couldn't even begin to fathom the honest to god reality of a waranty claim on a tank this large. At the very least we would be talking about having to remove and house all livestock and rock, drain the water, disassemble the equipment and pay to have the tank shipped back to the maufacture for "inspection"? And then what? I sit around and wait while they decide if they are going to honor the claim? From the stories that are floating around warranty experiences on tanks in this hobby seem to be extremely hit or miss, with some turning into all out fights that drag on for half a year or more. So when I weigh the prospect of having no warranty against how many hoops I would have to jump thru to get a warranty claim honored on a tank of this size I see a no-win in pretty much both cases.

However, with that said, I do sleep a whole lot better at night knowing that SoCal built this tank over some of the other vendors that are out there.

As for your tank having no padding it sounds like there is still time to remedy that. Couldn't you call a couple guys over and lift the tank up and slide a pad under it while it is still empty?

Brett

Last edited by Putawaywet; 12/26/2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:45 AM
I play with water

Quote:
Originally posted by redbug1
I am currently upgrading to a 350 and was wondering why you decided to go with the T5s instead of MH and is your tank going to be SPS dominated?
To be honest I really have no idea what I will do as far as animals. On two seperate occasions in the last year I seriously considered saving myself the headaches by turning it into one giant vivarium/dart frog tank. No joke!

SPS held my attention a year ago, but some nice big softies and anemonies swaying with the currents are starting to sound really nice right about now. I've also aways had a fondness for gorgonians. Being an SPS farmer is just starting to sound really labor intensive, especially so with how widely established the the likes of AEFW and red bugs have become. Regardless, with T5 my options are open no matter which way I decide to go.

As for my reasons for all T5:

1. I am done running a chiller.
2. I have been a fan since it first began to catch on.
3. I like the ability to mix and match bulbs for different lighting effects.
4. Big tanks lit solely with T5 are kind of rare in the U.S.
5. I like to be different.

Brett

Last edited by Putawaywet; 12/26/2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Putawaywet
Unfortauntely no, but once everything is up and running I'll be happy to extend my hospitality to anyone who shows up with one in hand. Bonus points awared if you can appreciate a nice highland single malt.

brett
Lagavulin from Islay because its possess notes of iodine, seaweed and salt.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:50 AM
I play with water

Funny that you mention Lagavulin.

I just brought home a bottle after several people raved about it's flavor. Boy they weren't kidding about the "subtle smokey aroma"

I told my wife it was more like the distillery burned to the ground, they found a lone surviving cask in the ashes, and bottled it up to raise funds to begin anew. Beyond that, it was good stuff.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:59 PM
TRC Leader

SoCal Creations is no more?
Old 12/26/2007, 11:14 PM
TRC Leader

Marc, here you go:
So Cal Creations closing

Brett, I'm looking for a PAR meeter to borrow before I come over to look at things.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/27/2007, 03:48 PM
I play with water

That would be great Ken
Old 12/27/2007, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

i have a PAR meter if i can come look too i can bring it.

Carl
Old 12/27/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

So cool! That light fixture does look awesome. I hope i dont get pulled to the t5 side ( or maybe i do?).
Old 12/27/2007, 10:00 PM
TRC Leader

Hey Carl, George said you had one. I bet Brett would even buy you a beer or two for that drive!

Your not driving...... right

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/28/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for posting all your experiences it’s obviously been a tumultuous ride, but it looks really impressive.

I will be following along to see the final result. Best of luck with sorting out the light situation.
Registered Member

Thank you for posting all your experiences it’s obviously been a tumultuous ride, but it looks really impressive.

I will be following along to see the final result. Best of luck with sorting out the light situation.
Registered Member