Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Can't wait to see some more pics!
Old 11/06/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

I hadn't had a chance to see this tank since I helped carry it in, and let me tell you- this tank looks awesome! The aquascape is very real in person and the depth of the tank can be better percieved than in pictures. Very cool setup with a very clean install! Such a cool light fixture! SOO BRIGHT!!!!

Love the tank dudester! Thanks for getting us the clean up crew too!

-Marcus
Old 11/06/2007, 09:36 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks for the compliments Marcus! For the benefit of everyone else, we got our clean-up crews today from Reeftopia. I really like ordering from them. Despite everything arriving quite cold, I had no losses as far as I can tell. The cerith snails are all in the same spot, even after being in the tank for 8 hours, but I'm pretty sure they're still adjusting and after a few hours of 'lights off' I think they'll start wandering around.

Also today I had to take the 4-way apart (again) as the drum had jammed. This is the drum that's supposed to tolerate sand. When I took it apart there was almost no sand that I could see, but when I put it back together it worked just fine. I think I'll just keep my Barracuda dialed down to ~50% for several weeks before trying to ramp it up again.

I also added the filter socks to the sump drains. What a huge difference in both noise reduction and tank clarity. This has almost completely solved my microbubble issue, although I still want to raise the baffle between the drain chamber and the return chamber, as this would likely completely eliminate all microbubbles.

The last piece of news is that the rest of my Aquatronica equipment arrived. I don't think I'll have time to situate all of it in the next couple of days, so this will have to wait a little while. I have no idea how Melev set up his system in 14 days. I'm over 2 months into this and I still have basic functionalities to set up, like a calcium reactor. Sheesh.
Old 11/06/2007, 10:10 PM
TRC Leader

I think because my brain is wired for saltwater.

Yours is focused on helping others, Dr. Dudester.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Mike, would you mind pm'ing me your contact regarding the metric pvc pieces, I need to get my skimmer up and running.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:29 AM
Team RC Member

I received my new Red Dragon 4.5m3 pump yesterday. Unfortunately it was shipped without any protective packaging and it arrived damaged. I can't believe anyone would hand over something that valuable to a delivery service without providing some form of extra protection. If I were the company that produces RD pumps and I found out that an item was damaged during shipping, and the item was sent without any extra packaging, I would not offer a refund to the distributor. At any rate, I've contacted them and hopefully they'll send me a new one in short order. The Mag12 is doing a good enough job for now as a return pump.

Chrisrush - pm on the way.
Old 11/08/2007, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Shipping issues pis* me of too...I hate it when they have no regard for the product they are shipping.
Old 11/08/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank

It appears to be ready for some more corals.

Does you copperband bf pick at your toadstool?
Old 11/08/2007, 09:41 PM
Team RC Member

Cubman777 - First off, thank you. I certainly am ready for more corals. I'll probably start adding SPS in a week or two.

I've never seen the CBB pick at the toadstool, and its polyps are almost always extended so I don't think the butterfly is up to anything sinister. I'm more concerned that the butterfly might nip at clam mantles once I add some clams. I'm a huge fan of clams, so even though I love the CBB, it would probably get evicted if I see it harm any clams.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:50 PM

I have 7 clams in my system and my CBB doesn't seem to pay them any attention. But I do have a ton of rock for it to forage in.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:49 AM
Team RC Member

Speaking of toadstools, last night I saw an emerald crab perched atop mine last night. This was observed during a late night flashlight tour, which I often enjoy. I was concerned at first, but all of the polyps around the crab were fully extended, indicating that the coral wasn't stressed at the least. This morning the crab remained on the toadstool, but in a different location, and again surrounded by beautifully extended green polyps. I just thought this was noteworthy.

In other news, I finally got around to hooking up my calcium reactor. I'm not running it right now, however, since it's not yet programmed into the controller. This week is extremely busy with work, and then the Tool concert on Wednesday night, so I may need to wait until this weekend to get it running properly.

I also cleaned out my filter socks for the first time. Man, that was nasty. I can't believe that much detritus has been settling in the sump and/or circulating through the system. I didn't do a good job of cleaning, but did a search here on RC and learned a better way to clean them. Namely, I plan to turn them inside-out and spray the heck out of them with a garden hose spray nozzle, then let them drip dry. Many people place them into the washing machine with some bleach, but it will be a cold day in hell before my wife lets me put a detritus-laden filter sock into our washing machine.

New RD4.5 is on the way!
Old 11/13/2007, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester

I also cleaned out my filter socks for the first time. Man, that was nasty. I can't believe that much detritus has been settling in the sump and/or circulating through the system. I didn't do a good job of cleaning, but did a search here on RC and learned a better way to clean them. Namely, I plan to turn them inside-out and spray the heck out of them with a garden hose spray nozzle, then let them drip dry. Many people place them into the washing machine with some bleach, but it will be a cold day in hell before my wife lets me put a detritus-laden filter sock into our washing machine.

[/B]
Just do it when she's not watching, to late to do much then

Cheers

Chris
Old 11/13/2007, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester

[/B]
Just do it when she's not watching, to late to do much then

Cheers

Chris
Old 11/13/2007, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

I tried the washing machine idea once to clean my filter socks but I could smell a distinct odor in my clothes for 2 weeks afterwards. Now it could have been all in my head but I decide against using my washing machine again. At least my wife didn’t notice anything.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:27 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I can just see the expression on my wife's face if she were to find me anywhere near her new He washer dryer set she so cherishes with a filter sock full of fish poo and detritus. LOL!!!

... That would be the day!

I think the garden hose idea is safest, soak em in a light bleach solution and rinse well if needed but to save the harmony and sanctity of your marriage, do not go near the laundry room with those dirty socks!
Old 11/13/2007, 10:27 AM
Will work 4 corals

I use the washing machine all the time. I have never had an issue with the wife or my clothes.

So shoot me!
Old 11/13/2007, 10:28 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

gkarshens

Do your clothes normally smell of fish poo and detritus?

... JK
Old 11/13/2007, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bax
gkarshens

Do your clothes normally smell of fish poo and detritus?

... JK
Old 11/13/2007, 10:39 AM
Will work 4 corals

Nope, just my manly musk

So shoot me!
Old 11/13/2007, 11:50 AM
clownfish fan

my girlfriend wont even let me clean the skimmer collection cup in the kitchen, if i put a fish poo filled sock in my wash i would never be forgiven.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:56 AM

geez guys, what the heck is going on in your houses? I use my washing machine for my tank socks, filter pads, and whatever else I want. If I put the cat in it I don' think my wife would say one word.

The only time she has ever gotton bent was when I put a dead FW fish down the garbage disposal. For some reason that got under her skin. Considering how many times I have flooded our house, a little fish poo in the washing machine doesn't seem like such a big deal I guess. I do thoroughly rinse them before though!
Old 11/13/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

It's a washing machine. Isn't that what it's for? Dirty things that need to be washed?
Old 11/13/2007, 01:00 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
It's a washing machine. Isn't that what it's for? Dirty things that need to be washed?
Oh! Not in MY! ... errr ... her house
Old 11/13/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Can't imagine what she does if your clothes ever get muddy!
Old 11/13/2007, 01:26 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I am a driller aka, Muddy Clothes 'R' Us

The filth I make paying the bills freaks her out enough ...

I think the fish poo, just puts her over the edge