Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 10/29/2007, 09:40 AM
cnidarian vigilante

bag151 Thanks for that information, that helps me understand how they work.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:02 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
My IC660 last week had the same problem - white smoke and all. I was also lucky to be home at the time and no my GFCI didn't trip. I had VHO's on them - very strange that it happened, all my wires were in great shape as it had only been on for just over a year.
Wow that is strange. That smoke really stunk up the house too. Glad you were home to catch the problem as well.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:08 AM
Underground Art Studio

I thought it was strange also and I was glad you posted the problem. I should get mine back this week from IceCap, it will be interesting to see if we had the identical problem. It really scared me, I ran for the fire extinguisher. When I took it into my LFS you could still smell it - sent it right to IceCap no questions asked.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Joe - is that all the higher the water will go due to the overflows? Would have there been a way to cover any of that up with the canopy?

Top does look sweet BTW...you got some fine craftsmanship going on there.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

I love how you made the stand and hood contemporary to fit the rest of the room. I'm a wannabe decorator so to speak and I really appreciate when a room is well put together whether it be traditional, contemporary, old world etc. The glass shelves are a nice touch too. I like when a tank is either inwall like a piece of art or made to blend in with the room as you have done. I don't like to see a huge box out of place in a room. I am just super impressed with what you have done and I'm know to be overly picky ; )

Amanda
Old 10/29/2007, 08:32 PM
possum chauffeur

I really like the depth of the tank. Great job, as usual.

When do we start to add the fish?
Old 10/29/2007, 10:48 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Nice stuff Joe. Can't wait to see it get filled up w/ SPS

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/30/2007, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

JB NY, i have really enjoyed this post, your tank looks amazing, can't wait to see the finnished product.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:19 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Just got a chance to catch up on your updates and saw the finished stand and canopy. That looks very very nice, it's really different and finished in appearance. fantastic job!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:36 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTour
Joe - is that all the higher the water will go due to the overflows? Would have there been a way to cover any of that up with the canopy?

Yeah that is as high as the water line goes. There is not a lip around the tank like with oceanic or AGA so you can see the water line. I could have covered it with the canopy but I actually like the look better.

Thanks Amanda. We've been working on this room slowly for a while. And the idea was to try and make it so that the tank fit in with the rest of the room which is almost entirely Italian contemporary. I think it came out really nice. Actually a little better than I thought.

Again thanks for all the kind words guys!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:36 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTour

Yeah that is as high as the water line goes. There is not a lip around the tank like with oceanic or AGA so you can see the water line. I could have covered it with the canopy but I actually like the look better.

Thanks Amanda. We've been working on this room slowly for a while. And the idea was to try and make it so that the tank fit in with the rest of the room which is almost entirely Italian contemporary. I think it came out really nice. Actually a little better than I thought.

Again thanks for all the kind words guys!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

JB NY, congrats your tank looks amazing love the finish furniture beautiful lines VERY high end, im sure is going to look amazing like your older tank!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful, Joe! Definitely one of the best, if not the best, looking setups out there!
Old 10/30/2007, 10:40 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Thanks again guys.

As for fish. Sneaky me.. I put some fish and coral in about two weeks ago. I picked up my fish that were being fish sat at the aquarium for me. I also came back with some corals. the Hammer coral, two birdsnests, two fungia and a small clam. The fish I brought back were the two Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) and my Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosus).

This weekend I picked up, a small copperbanded butterfly, a one spot fox face and three firefish. Unfortunately the foxface didn't last 24 hours in the tank. he was a little thin and I was hoping I could save him, but I wasn't able to get him to eat and the poor guy didn't make it. All the others seem to be doing fine though.

The other fish I am looking to get are.

Another One-spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
Tuka Anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) 1 male 4 females
Dispar Anthias (Pseudanthias dispar) 1 males 4 females
Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles)
Fathead/Sunburst anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)

One or the other
Spotted Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
Splendid Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

Eventually when I get acros in the tank I will add a bunch of green clown gobies (Gobiodon histrio). I had them in my last tank and they worked out real well.

Last edited by JB NY; 10/30/2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10/30/2007, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Joe , Any problems with the Coral Beauty nipping on corals/clams?
Old 10/30/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JB NY
the Hammer coral
Do you really want to do that again?

Tuka anthias are pretty darn delicate. I.d definitely go with:
Old 10/30/2007, 12:31 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoom
Joe , Any problems with the Coral Beauty nipping on corals/clams?
This one has never been a problem. He is at least 6 years old at this point.

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
Do you really want to do that again?

Tuka anthias are pretty darn delicate. I.d definitely go with:
Actually I don't but my wife insisted that if the clowns come back I had to bring back a piece of their "home".

I've got a good source for the tuka anthias so I can make sure they are eating and healthy before I take them. So I am hopeful I will have good luck with them.
Old 10/30/2007, 12:35 PM
Moved In

test

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/30/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Great job so far Joe. Your contributions on RC are always helpful. But I'm surprised by your choice of the Gobies. I've always wanted to add a few to my tank (green and yellow) but was scared away by all the stories of them nesting/laying eggs in the sps. Did you have any issues with them doing that or other bad deeds previously? I have a long nose hawk in my tank now and he has taken up residence in my orange montipora, but with no ill effect and he's very cool.
Old 10/31/2007, 08:34 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by tony13
Great job so far Joe. Your contributions on RC are always helpful. But I'm surprised by your choice of the Gobies. I've always wanted to add a few to my tank (green and yellow) but was scared away by all the stories of them nesting/laying eggs in the sps. Did you have any issues with them doing that or other bad deeds previously? I have a long nose hawk in my tank now and he has taken up residence in my orange montipora, but with no ill effect and he's very cool.
I had zero problems with the green gobies in my old tank. I had researched them a lot before they went in. Later, when people were having problems with gobies supposedly nesting and causing problems with acroporids. I was able to track down and discuss some of the problems with these gobies with Biologist Dr. Philip Munday who had done a lot of research with these kinds of gobies.

Here is an excerpt from my correspondence with Dr. Philip Munday on Gobiodon feeding on acroporid polyps.

"It has often been suggested that Gobiodon feed on coral polyps, but the degree to which they do so is not really known. I have observed Gobiodon okinawae [yellow gobie] feeding on coral polyps in the field and also found evidence of coral feeding in gut samples of this species, so this one definitely does feed on live coral tissue. I have found no concrete evidence of coral feeding in other species of Gobiodon, although this is not to say that they don't eat polyps under the right circumstances. I suspect that most species are probably fairly generalist in diet and will eat anything of value from the water column (e.g zooplankton) or from the benthos. Some species probably do feed on the host coral, but it is unlikely to be their sole source of nutrition."

Nothing for certain. But I've had good luck with the green clown gobies so I'm not worried about adding them.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:54 PM
Underground Art Studio

I agree with you Joe, the Gobiodon atrangulatus (Green Gobie) that I'm presently keeping have caused only a little damage. I did have little nips on my A. nana colony and you could tell they where actually eating on the coral. I just watched both very closely and the nana healed without any long term problems. That has been the only time I've seen any damage, about 6 months ago. This is in my old tank which is a 65g and I have two of them - they are great to watch and I'm willing to put up with a little nip in order to keep them. If you are a person that will not tolerate any fish nipping on the coral then it might be wise to select a different fish, otherwise they are great.
Old 10/31/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Nice to know. How many you plan on adding? Do they hang out together or usually do their own thing? With this good info I'll have to try one for now and see what happens.
Old 10/31/2007, 11:35 PM
no time for spell check!

hi joe awesome job with the upgrade. can you post some updated pics of the fish room and explain any changes good or bad that you mad with the fish room to accomidate the new tank?
Old 11/02/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank, aquascaping, tank furniture, room, and style! I also am into contemporary furniture, and love your set-up! Great job! Can't wait to see the progress
Old 11/02/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Hey Joe, been following the thread from the beginning. Absolutely beautiful work. Hope to see it live one day. Will keep watching the progress. Mike