Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 10/17/2007, 03:02 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
hmmm...that's strange. I was writing aout this:

It looks exaclty like the Tyree cyphastrea I got from him at the coral farmers market. The one you show in a colony is a bit different don't you think? And you got yours right from that colony?
Yes, that is the one I was referring to as well. I think it will grow up to be like the image of Eve's beauty of a coral.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:08 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
dang you all tank great pics of your corals. Mark you need to help me with my pic. taking abilities when you come down. also I have finally started my own thread and you can see why my pics suck

very nice looking corals though. now if only i can get mine to grow I would be all set.
I'll help you with that when I'm there. Be sure to link me to your thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwaaron
Tort slayer!!!!

There I said it. But you made me

Quote:
Originally posted by kmacartney
Marc, I have been with this thread from the beginning but I could not remember if you had any experience with AEFWs. I think that I might have them but I am not quite sure.
Sure have. About a year ago, and again just recently. To find out if you have any, take a white bowl and fill it up with tank water. Place your suspicious coral in the water, and add a few drops of Lugol's Solution (concentrated Iodine) and stir. Using a turkey baster, start blasting the coral with that water and see what flies off. I have a page about AEFW on my site with information about what they look like, etc.

Also, I've heard that Two Little Fishies ReVive will melt them right off the coral when dipped in their solution. I've not tested that yet, but I just bought a bottle last weekend. A few pages back, you'll see a coral of mine that was infested with not only AEFW, but a ton of eggs in its core. I saved a piece of the coral that looked fine, and will be placing that back in my reef soon.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:10 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
You guys ever polished scratches out of a glass tank? My 180 has some scratches down low that I must have done with the LR when I previously took it down.
The easiest solution is to spin the tank around so the back is the front, provided the tank isn't drilled with overflows.

I don't believe there is a scratch kit for glass that works.

Quote:
Originally posted by TCU Reefer

At least I didn't say it.

I swear, you and torts are like fat kids and twinkies. Both can make them disappear with little effort.

Good luck with this one TS!
Mmmmm. Twinkies. I really prefer Ding Dongs, or Hostess Cup Cakes. Either are delicious.

And Blue Torts. Those are awesome too.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:14 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by jjmcat
That is the Tyree cyphastrea.I cant figure out why this stuff is so costly.This stuff grows like a weed.
Here's hoping it will do the same in my reef. I still am worried about it, based on the discoloration in the tissue. And it's nice to see you subscribed to my thread. Be sure to let me know what your TDS ends up being.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
I need to pick everyone's brain again.

My test kits arrived today and confirmed what I'd suspected in the 50 gal tank at my office. High Phosphates, which explains the constantly reacurring hair algae. Nitrates are a nice low 2.5ppm, probably because of the algae. I'm looking at the AquaC phosphate reactor, but can't tell from the on-line info if it needs a separate pump or not, or what size if so?

I'm hoping this will be a short term fix, and I can eventually get a refugium going with enough macro to keep them down more naturally.

Any other suggestions? I know My biggest problem with this tank is that I inherited it as a FO tank, and have added almost no live rock.
Thanks again!

Phil

P.S. hate to highjack the thread, but I know I can trust the opinions here, the proof is in all the photos
Almost all reactors need a small powerhead to push the water into them. I'd get the Phosban Reactor if I were you. The Aqua C is tough to close, unless someone knows the secret. Euro-reef is coming out with a new one very soon as well with a very nifty easy to close lid called a Euro-Loc. For the pump size, a Maxijet 600 or even something in the MiniJet line would work. You need around 80gph or less.

To drop Phosphates more quickly, Phosbuster Pro works great. It had a history of killing Yellow Tangs originally, but that is supposedly resolved. If you don't have one, it doesn't matter.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:25 AM
grouchy hermit

I use a MiniJet with my Phosban reactor. I dial it all the way down but the small size of the pump is an advantage in my cramped sump.

Spleen
Old 10/17/2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
That is the Tyree cyphastrea.I cant figure out why this stuff is so costly.This stuff grows like a weed.
Not in my tank. I wonder how much light they should have?
Old 10/17/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd get the Phosban Reactor if I were you. The Aqua C is tough to close, unless someone knows the secret.
You mean the one by "Two Little Fishies"?
Old 10/17/2007, 01:37 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
You mean the one by "Two Little Fishies"?
Yep.
Old 10/17/2007, 01:47 PM
TRC Leader

This morning when I got back from work, the air was pretty humid with rain in the forecast. I bumped the a/c down to 74 to cut down on the indoor humidity. Within a couple of hours the house was up to 80. Turns out the fan broke on the a/c outside, so I'm out an extra $450.

Every month it's something.
Old 10/17/2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I hear that. Seems like I can never rest easy.
Old 10/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Welcome to my world
Old 10/17/2007, 02:06 PM
Village Idiot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
Welcome to my world
And to mine...

trying to sell the house at the moment, tank leaked over the hardwood floor earlier this week
Old 10/17/2007, 02:08 PM
TRC Leader

Well, I changed tactics in mid-call. I feel a little badly for the guy, but I'd rather not spend money when I don't absolutely have to. The service call was $69.

I'm a member of American Home Shield and pay them $41 a month. Supposedly this is covered. Unfortunately I have to have a different a/c company come out for another $55, but they are associated with AHS and according to them, it'll be covered. I'd rather pay $120 than $450. I'll have to wait this out for another half day or so, but the weather is somewhat mild at 82F. With the windows open it feels okay to get by.

EDIT: I didn't explain why I felt badly for the guy. He was going the extra mile to get me the matching fan motor today, and working it so the shop would get it in the next couple of hours. He was willing to pick it up and head back over this evening to do it. It was a bunch of shuffling to make this happen, but I felt as long as I could get the other situation sorted out before he left, I still had a small window of opportunity.

Last edited by melev; 10/17/2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10/17/2007, 02:43 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
You guys ever polished scratches out of a glass tank? My 180 has some scratches down low that I must have done with the LR when I previously took it down.
Your PM box is full. Be sure to empty out the In box as well as the SENT box to get that space back. I'll resend my reply later.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:43 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Not in my tank. I wonder how much light they should have?
Ive got mine on the sand under 250k hallides.
This is less then 3 months of growth.

Old 10/17/2007, 10:46 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
This morning when I got back from work, the air was pretty humid with rain in the forecast. I bumped the a/c down to 74 to cut down on the indoor humidity. Within a couple of hours the house was up to 80. Turns out the fan broke on the a/c outside, so I'm out an extra $450.

Are all your tanks ok?
Old 10/17/2007, 10:47 PM

That is a nice one Jarrod. Sweet colors. I think you meant 250W halides, which would tell me that maybe mine got too much light.

Mine bit the dust last night, along with several large colonies. My tank looks like a volcano spewed ash into it. I did the emergency fragging today and have about 40+ in the QT.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:50 PM
OMAS VP

[QUOTE]Originally posted by melev
[B]Here's hoping it will do the same in my reef. I still am worried about it, based on the discoloration in the tissue. And it's nice to see you subscribed to my thread. Be sure to let me know what your TDS ends up being.

I dont what took me so long.Lots of good info in this thread.Im off Friday so I will get that tds meter checked.Thanks again for all your good info.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:53 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
That is a nice one Jarrod. Sweet colors. I think you meant 250W halides, which would tell me that maybe mine got too much light.

Mine bit the dust last night, along with several large colonies. My tank looks like a volcano spewed ash into it. I did the emergency fragging today and have about 40+ in the QT.
Im sorry for your loss.Please let us know what happened.And yes it is 250 watt 10k blueline plus bulbs.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thiago - I just need a place to hold them that is not tied into my reef. Within a day or two, I treat them with meds (Interceptor, and a coral dip) before I'll put them in my tank. I don't want to risk introducing pests into my tank. In there I can study them, and take a few pictures.

The light is better than none. I have a 70w DE DIY fixture that I may end up assembling to put over that tank. I just thought about that a couple of days ago.
Ah, I see. I would think that the light would encourage more algae growth that feed the polyps, though. ;
Old 10/17/2007, 11:42 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
Ah, I see. I would think that the light would encourage more algae growth that feed the polyps, though. ;
Well, the light is rarely on. The water is clear, I have two tiny damsels that get a squirt of food each night and that's about it. Water changes involve sucking out 5g into a bucket, and pumping 'old' saltwater from my reef into the quarantine tank after the big 55g water change.

I have it on just for the SPS now, and soon it won't be on at all. My thought process was "I have a 70w set up, and it has to be better than the 21w compact fluorescent on there now. Plus I could make a cool black acrylic fixture to hide it. "
Old 10/17/2007, 11:45 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Are all your tanks ok?
Yes. The fishroom was closed up and the window unit kept the reef at 80.5F today. It was nice and cool in there compared to my muggy house at 84 plus humidity. The fishroom was 75F.

Even my little angled tank was comfortable since it was tied into the main sump.
Old 10/18/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Marc, I can relate. I just spent most of the evening trying bleed all the air out of my heating system. Ended up vapor locking my main circ pump. Guess I'll test my water tomorrow...

But I did find time to order a phosban reactor, media, a minijet 606 and even a Tunze Nano Skimmer. Reactor is for my 50 gal at work, skimmer is for the 20 gal. I love on-line ordering, just like christmas

Phil
Old 10/18/2007, 09:18 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
This evening I thought I should clean the return pump. It has been in use for 2 years without any maintenance, and I've been wondering what I might find. It is a Little Giant pump.

After getting it free from the plumbing (I used unions when I first installed it), I spent some time cleaning it up. The metal housing has a fan that was glaringly dirty with salt creep and dust, so I removed the shroud and blew it clean with compressed air. The wet end was more difficult. One by one, I removed the nut from each of the bolts that held the impellar cover in place. Of course one snapped right off, not totally unexpected. A trip to Home Depot resulted in a couple of new stainless steel screws, but I forgot I needed to buy a matching nut (since the old one was rusted to the section of screw that snapped off).

The tank was already without sump circulation for over 2 hours, so I decided to install my brand new back up Sequence Dart pump instead. Much to my surprise, these pumps look identical side by side. I removed all the old teflon tape, carefully applied teflon paste instead, and screwed all the threaded fittings tightly into place. The pump was then reinstalled by realigning & tightening the unions. I opened the ballvalve, reinstalled the strainer inside the sump's bulkhead, and turned on the pump.

Nothing.

Absolutely silent, with a hint of vibration.

Using some needlenose pliers, I tried to reach the impellar shaft to give it a nudge. That didn't seem to do anything, but about 10 seconds later, the pump fired up.

Sweet.

I watched the tank for any obvious reaction to the teflon paste that might have made contact with the saltwater, but really didn't think there was anything to worry about. Each fitting that was screwed in was checked to see if any 'goo' was visible, and wasn't. I didn't think there was anything to be concerned about.

However, over the next hour, my tank got more and more cloudy (whitish or opaque). Wondering why this was occuring since the only new section was the internal shroud of the pump and any possible contamination from the little bit of teflon paste, I stood there looking for any obvious source. Then I saw my BTAs looked pretty bad. Watching the main anemone that I've had for over 5 years, I saw it puffing out white smoke. It and another one were spawning. Thanks a lot guys - it isn't like the tank didn't already have something else to be concerned with, now you have to start pumping sperm & eggs into the water column too?

Is it any wonder my tank has nitrate and/or phosphate issues?

As far as I can tell, it is going to be fine. The skimmer will clarify the water tonight, and I'll run a fresh batch of carbon as well.

I won't touch the pump for another 2 years.
Tonight when I turned off the Sequence Dart, water started gushing out of the pump near the impellar shaft. I'm going to see about how to get this fixed since it wasn't even used 3 weeks.

My Little Giant pump is back in service.
Old 10/18/2007, 10:57 PM
TRC Leader

The a/c was repaired today. The other company came out for $55, replaced the part and filed a claim with American Home Shield.

And I have a feeling if this had been done months ago, my electric bill would have been lower. Something I noticed this summer is how long my a/c was running vs. in the past. Since I've added more insulation in the attic and replaced a couple of large windows with better double-insulated ones, I would have expected to see some returns on the power consumption bill. Filters are changed pretty regularly, and the system is fully charged with freon.

With the new fan, it seems to cycle on and off more quickly like it used to. I'm happy - but mad at the same time, since that means I've been overpaying for months because no-one noticed the fan wasn't working as it should.

Finally, the outdoor part of my central a/c is made by Trane, and is a 10 SEER, made in 1997. The inside section is also Trane, but is only about 3 or so years old. It is supposed to be 12 or 13 SEER. However, the tech today told me that no matter what the one half is, the other half will determine the true SEER rating. Thus, my system is badly outdated.

He gave me a quote for a 4 ton 21 SEER heat pump by Carrier. It has a 10 year warranty, and pulls around 7 or 8 amps vs. my current system that pulls about 21 amps. It seems like a no-brainer to switch it out to save on the electricity consumption, but at a cost upfront of $7600. The perk would be less power usage year 'round, which he felt would make up for itself in about 3 years' time. And they would even run a duct to the garage which would cool and heat that area where I work.

Ugh.