Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Hi Hansmatt:

Thanks for your comments. I already have the gate valve mod. How would be the impeller mod?

Carlos Salas
Old 02/27/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I have not done it, as I'd need an additional impeller or break my existing one. There are several threads on the DIY forum, search for mesh mod, you'll find several I think. It presumably chops the bubbles to a finer size, providing for better attachment to particulates & dissolved materials. Someone was recently selling the mesh you need in the for sale form, something like $8-10, but you'll need to sacrifice your impeller or get a new one. I don't know how much of an improvement to expect.
Old 02/27/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks hansmatt, I will search

Carlos Salas
Old 02/27/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

i need help w/ my rs80 promo. it was awesome for like 2 weeks. now i have the bubble level about 1/2 inch above the collection cup. it does god all day. i get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch brown skimmate. now every night this week it has overflowed the cup w/ water.like i said its fine all day then i get up in the morning and i can hear it bubbling so i check it and its overflowed . i avent made any adjustments to it. please help
Old 02/27/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

jus tagging along as I have an rs80 I haven't hooked up yet.
Old 02/27/2007, 08:57 PM
Broke Reefer

I did the gate valve mod(really a ball valve) on my old cs 8-2 skimmer one week ago. I have my ball valve turned at at the 2 o'clock position and really have noticed a difference. How far do does everyone ball down the valve?
Old 02/28/2007, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Hi guys:

How could I know that the impeller could be wrong? Currently it has no noise, but the magnet is feeling rusty or irregular, not smooth or plain.

Help me please, the skimmer is producing not more that 2 mm (in the collection cup) in 36 hours.

Carlos Salas
Old 02/28/2007, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beansbro1
i need help w/ my rs80 promo. it was awesome for like 2 weeks. now i have the bubble level about 1/2 inch above the collection cup. it does god all day. i get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch brown skimmate. now every night this week it has overflowed the cup w/ water.like i said its fine all day then i get up in the morning and i can hear it bubbling so i check it and its overflowed . i avent made any adjustments to it. please help
I too had the same problems and also found myself constantly tuning it but have since removed the air control valve and drilled out the venturi nipple. No complaints since then. I used a drill bit that was slightly smaller than the nipple to just round out the hole. I do recall a post that said Euroreef recommended that it be drilled because the hole can be left smaller than intended from the molding process.
Old 03/01/2007, 10:42 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Quote:
Originally posted by teog
I did the gate valve mod(really a ball valve) on my old cs 8-2 skimmer one week ago. I have my ball valve turned at at the 2 o'clock position and really have noticed a difference. How far do does everyone ball down the valve?
I've got mine running most of the way open (12:30 position, ever so slightly closing). When I get back home Friday or Saturday, I'm going to install the gate valve that I bought for it from the Frag Swap recently. It's 1.5" plumbing so it should fit with just some pvc to threaded fittings. My 8-2 with a sedra9000 and old white needlewheel unmodded has been spitting out 2-3 inches of skimmate thats emptied twice a week in my medium stocked tank.
Old 03/01/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Guys i need your help with this.

I decided to take my cs6-1 out the closet and put it into my system. However it is not performing anywhere near my cs135. It just doesn't produce enough air. If you look at the chamber you can see that it almost looks as if it's clogged, but that is not the case. I have an additional venturi for which i drilled out the hole bigger and that didn't do anything. I am wondering what it can be. Right now it's sitting in 6 inches of water and tomorrow i will take out the eggcrate so that it sits at 8 inches the same as my cs135. I am just at a loss as to why it's not producing bubbles. Maybe i am just comparing it to my cs135, but that can't be. This has to produce more skimmate/bubbles. If i try to skim dry this thing will probably never skim. Also i just installed it back on monday.

See the pictures, let me know if there's something you see that i am missing.

Thanks.

Old 03/02/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know where to get the silicone dielectric compound to lube the collection cup lock/gasket locally such as lowes or home depot? Thanks
Old 03/02/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Try Advance auto parts.
Old 03/02/2007, 08:24 PM
High Plains Drifter

ACE hardware. It comes in a little white puck labled "silicone grease"

I wasn't able to find it at HD in my hometown.

Jim
Old 03/02/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Or you could try a pool store, they use it on "O" rings
Old 03/04/2007, 02:30 AM
Premium Member

Few questions on the RS80

Where's the best place to buy one these days?

Is it a good choice for a 55 gal?

Will any one ordered now have the Eheim pump and the newest impellerr installed?

Are the majority still happy with theres?

Having trouble pickings a skimmer right now. The Deltecs look great but 3 times the price. I can't figure out why. Apparently there's some customer service issues over there again too.

Should I get a RS80?
Old 03/04/2007, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys I picked up a tube at Advance Auto Parts.
Old 03/04/2007, 08:00 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vessxpress1
Few questions on the RS80

Where's the best place to buy one these days?

Is it a good choice for a 55 gal?

Will any one ordered now have the Eheim pump and the newest impellerr installed?

Are the majority still happy with theres?

Having trouble pickings a skimmer right now. The Deltecs look great but 3 times the price. I can't figure out why. Apparently there's some customer service issues over there again too.

Should I get a RS80?
Premium Aquatics
Yes
RS80 has a Sedra or Gen-X pump with the latest PW impeller design
Old 03/04/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

One more question guys...Does anyone use a waste collector on their skimmer besides a bucket or a jug. I looked at one made by MRC that is pretty nice but a little pricey. Are there any ohters out there that I should look into. My concern is with the collector overflowing if it does not regulate the air. Thanks
Old 03/04/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

You can make your own air turnoff to stop the over flow with a table tennis ball and some pipe parts cost about $5.00.The table tennis balls are allso used by MRC.
Old 03/04/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Auto shut-off waste collectors won't work with ER's since they are vented.
Mike
Old 03/04/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Mimbler are you saying I just need to let the skimmate run into an open container then or is there an alternative?
Old 03/04/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Yes, you could use one of the shut-off collection containers, and it will fill up, but it won't shut down the skimmer, so you might as well just drain it into an open container. If you are worried about overflow, just put a float switch in the container to shut down the skimmer pump when the container is close to full.
Mike
Old 03/04/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

That is a good idea I will do that Thanks alot!
Old 03/04/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

is there a way to make a cs250 a recirculationg model or make it where you can put it out of the sump?
Old 03/05/2007, 10:09 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
ACE hardware. It comes in a little white puck labled "silicone grease"

I wasn't able to find it at HD in my hometown.

Same here. Ace Had it, little white puck as you described had to ask to find it. ~$5.

"Master Plumber" 90% Pure Silicone "Silicone Grease".

Sure be nice if it came in a tube instead.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.