Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Minnesota Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 01:15 PM
sweeeet!!

Ok Val, where were we?? Oh yeah, skimmers. You were did very good explaining how a skimmer works.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 01:20 PM
sweeeet!!

The reason I put asked you to explain how a skimmer works is so that when you are shopping for one, you will know that function should outweigh cost. No offense to the $150 skimmers out there, but if I see one with this price tag, I ignore it. There was a guy on "the bay" (eBay) that told me his New Jebo ($19.99) could effectively skim 180g. I didn't bother laughing as it was a waste of energy.

Contact time is one thing you look for in a skimmer. Recirculating skimmers offer more contact time. Larger diameter units offer more too. My skimmer has a very energy efficient pump that also happens to draw in a significant amount of air (to be shot into the skimmer). That is yet another reason I chose that skimmer.

Let me find a helpful link for you on skimmers........

I used to know the author of this a long while ago:

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm

EDIT: Regarding your question about the Euroreef CS6-2+, yes, it is a very good brand name skimmer. The problem I have with the advertisement you gave me is that there aren't any pictures. After a fiasco I had here on RC, I will, for the most part, never buy without pictures of the"actual unit for sale". Val, what did your investigation come up with on that ER (EuroReef) skimmer?? What did you find out??

Old 01/09/2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

I've talked about and looked at so many that I'm not quite sure which ER you are talking about...SORRY!!
Old 01/09/2008, 05:05 PM
sweeeet!!

Here is a quote from a different thread that may help you decide which skimmer NOT to get. The tank in question is a 58g Ocreanic (exactly what I have).

I totally agree that the ASMS are junk unless you mod them. But why mod somehting if you can buy a plug-n-play unit without the worries.

Quote:
by elzool
I've had an ASM G2, Tunze 9002 and the Tunze 9010.

The ASM was modded with a gate valve but was still inconsistent collecting skimmate so I eventually sold it and bought the 9010. The 9010 is dead silent and collects very consistently and I'm quite happy with it.

I had the 9002 on a 29g tank that had a large bioload on it and never really got it working correctly. I don't know if it was user error or just not enough of a load for the skimmer to work, but I wasn't ever happy with it.

I would say the 9002 is not enough for your application and you would be better server by a 9010. It seems like a lot of $ right now, but it's a fantastic skimmer that should satisfy you to no end.
Link to the thread: Click Me

Old 01/09/2008, 05:06 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
I've talked about and looked at so many that I'm not quite sure which ER you are talking about...SORRY!!
You sent me a PM on it. That is another reason why I suggest you post things here and not use PM's. Besides, others can comment and learn from our open discussions.

NO MORE PM'S !!!!

Old 01/09/2008, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

so which types of skimmers are you running? I was looking into an octopus.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I have a turbofloter 1000 and I like it.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:38 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by Swanwillow
so which types of skimmers are you running? I was looking into an octopus.
On all my previous systems, I ran MRC skimmers and calcium reactors. On my last tank in Florida (180g lots of SPS), I ran an MR-2 powered by a GenX-55HP (not horsepower).

Seen here (MR-2 on top and CR-2 on bottom):

Now here is a picture of an ASM G2x or something like that. It came with the system I bought as a whole. It is shown with the recirculation and gate valve modifications. I soon sold it as I couldn't stand it!!!

Shown here running on a temporary Brute can full of rock that was curing:

But of course this tank I am running an ATi Bubblemaster 200:

Old 01/09/2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

So, how big of an ATi does one need for a 75g? Also, what is everyone's opinion on the Octopus skimmers? I have read and read, and everyone seems to be pretty happy with them. I want something that I can set up and not have to worry about modding though, only emptying the "good stuff" (or should I say "bad stuff") out of when necessary... I would like to try to find a used one, but am open to purchasing new. I am budgeting around $400 for the skimmer...

Last edited by dedex; 01/09/2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

see, thats what was recommended to me, was the octopus... I don't do well with things called MODS or TWEAKING or even adjusting the little black nobbie thinggie on the CPR bak-pak that I haVE in my closet.

Going by those specs, I was told to get an octopus.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Mr James, As for the Euro Reef CS8-1 that you suggested in your pm...if you feel this is the way to go, then I am going to start dealing on it and get a skimmer purchased...If I don't do something soon, I am going to go insane with this skimmer process. If not, I may purchase a brand new ATi or msx160 or 200???????

Also, What kind of pump should I be looking for for a closed loop?

Last edited by dedex; 01/09/2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone have an opinion on this skimmer that is for sal on RC?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1284649
Old 01/10/2008, 09:42 AM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
...If I don't do something soon, I am going to go insane with this skimmer process. If not, I may purchase a brand new ATi or msx160 or 200???????
I did the same thing, went insane. I searched for a better part of a month. First it was H&S, then Deltec, then Euro-Reef, then back to MRC, then BM's, then back the MRC...... You get the picture. I am NOT a fan of mods either. Years ago I purchased my 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with the Cummons diesel because of the engine, not the body it came in. Today, I choose the ATi BM200 because of the pump, not the body it comes in. Oddly enough, one of those BM knockoff's (MSX or whatever) use the Sicce pump. May be worth looking into for someone. BUT, keep in mind - you can't throw a Corvette LT1 engine into a Pinto and expect the same results. SO, with that said, maybe the BM series is best suited for the Sicce pump.

ASM's used to be dirt cheap. When they saw sales going up because of hobbyist modifications, the price jumped into an uncomfortable range.

Dedex, if you want to be safe, I'd recommend a Euro-Reef as they have been time tested and proven. A little less safe would be the ATi BM160. And even more less safe would be a brand new skimmer on the market, the MSX series. Safety = time tested and proven.

Quote:
by dedex
Another can of worms. Sequence Pumps are hands down the best. Quiet and reliable, PLUS, enrgy efficient. The Sequence Dart puts out 3000gph (I think) at a fraction of the wattage of it's competitors. Talk about a company stepping up to the plate and delivering!!

Old 01/10/2008, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

So you still think the ER CS8-1, eventhough you have never owned one? You said you have owned several MRC's. Why did you change to ATi?

Lastly, can anyone enlighten me on a rookie question: "what exactly is a calcium reactor"?
Old 01/10/2008, 10:02 AM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
Does anyone have an opinion on this skimmer that is for sal on RC?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1284649
So which skimmer are you going with?? The ER, BM or the Aqua C?? That guy ran it on a 55g reef, that would be an indication for me.

Old 01/10/2008, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

SO how about the MRC MR-1? Opinion?
Old 01/10/2008, 01:21 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
So how about the MRC MR-1? Opinion?
The Aqua C and now this one?? You jump around quyite a bit!! I had an MR-1 powered by a Mag12 (I'd recommend a different pump though) on my 75g reef many years ago. Ran like a champ!!! Be sure to use a "head pump" and get the Waste Collector as it will shut the skimmer down when it gets too full!! AWESOME design, now you know why I had such a hard time going with a different skimmer. (Subersible pumps aren't head pumps, they can't handle the backpressure ine gets with a Beckett skimmer, i.e., the MRC and GEO skimmers.

Where were we??

I know the Euro-Reef product is VERY good even though I haven't owned one. If you get a comparable ER skimmer to my BM200 and don't like it, I may just trade you for it!! Keyword being comparable!!

Oh yeah....

(I know this is not acceptable here on RC, but since I asked for all questions to ber asked on this forum, I felt this action necessary - If you don't know what I am talking about, don't worry about it.)

""We plugged in the lights last night - My only concern is that it is a 36" fixture on a 48" tank with the MH right in the middle???
How will this affect the tank and it's inhabitants?""

That light will be more than enough for the inhabitants you will be keeping. I know you won't have SPS corals or Clams right off the bat because you are asking about a calcium reactor and what it does. Your tank is is 4' long and this light is 3' long. If you have this light up over the tank roughly 16"-ish, I am certain that what ever you keep will be fine. If you start into SPS or clams, then we can look at other options. But since yoiu are just starting out, you are fine.

""Also, one last question....can I put this over my 20g until I get the 75g ready so that the corals perk up a bit, or is it too much for that size of tank?""

You can, but you have to acclimate you inhabitants to thias light. Run it for 2 hours for a copuple days, then 3 hours for a couple day and so on. Understand light acclimation??

Val, I think you need 50 real posts before you can use the search function. You have sent me more then 50 PM's so far. Had you posted out here for all to read, everyone could have benefited from our conversation and you would be able to use the search function now.

Now, I am off to find a calcium reactor and associated equipment. I got a 20lb co2 tank filled for $45 (leased as long as I need it). What a deal!! ANyone got one for sale??

Old 01/10/2008, 01:33 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
Lastly, can anyone enlighten me on a rookie question: "what exactly is a calcium reactor"?
You have 85 posts as of this response. Use the search function on the word Calcium Reactor both here on RC and Google.

Or see here: Simple Google search is all it takes!!

Old 01/10/2008, 01:44 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
This is what I may use fopr a closed loop on my system (and this one os for sale)... I have the same pump setting next to my tank ready to be plumbed in an "over-the-back" closed loop configuration.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1290659

Old 01/10/2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

So which ER skimmer would you say is comparable to your BM?
Old 01/10/2008, 05:37 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
So which ER skimmer would you say is comparable to your BM?
That's a good question. Let me know what you find out.

EDIT:

Because I like you Val:

http://www.euro-reef.com/oldskimmermodelspecs.shtml

http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/P...Bubble_Master/

Old 01/10/2008, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

I'M GLAD YOU STILL LIKE ME :-) I FEEL LIKE SUCH A THORN IN YOUR BOTTOM SOME DAYS!!
Old 01/11/2008, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Hey, James - where did you order those DJ power strips from again? Between Alan and I we have lost the card you gave us - GO FIGURE!!
Old 01/11/2008, 01:26 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
Hey, James - where did you order those DJ power strips from again? Between Alan and I we have lost the card you gave us - GO FIGURE!!
What am I going to do with you two huh??

123dj.com

Old 01/11/2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Thank you, James - You're my hero!