Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

masterfully done. Looks like I just made a decision to go to 400 watters.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I think I'm in love. I'm not much on SPS TOTMs & I'm just starting with them ( One monti frag as of now) but I love SW Angels. My family always kept them when I was a kid in the early 70s. And I'm always active on angel threads on the Reeffish & Reef Disscusion forums. Your angel collection leaps out by itself.
Re: more pics.
Stop! The pool of saliva gathering by my PC keyboard is getting dangerously large!

Sincerely,
Matthew
If Paletta took more suggestions to update Ultimate Marine Aquariums I'd nominate this tank. You do know you are breaking the rules of reefkeeping with the angels, right. LOL
Old 09/19/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Totm for sure,...id like to read the article and see more fts. I love fish too and i get bored with the fishless (or few fish) tanks
Old 09/20/2007, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Good Morning,

Here's a list of fish I have:

Tang:
Black Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Kole Tang
Orange shoulder Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Achilles Tang

Angel:
Goldflake Angel
Chrysurus Angel
Scribbled Angel
Personifer Angel
A pair of Regal Angel
Mated pair of Flame Angel
Flameback Angel
Majestic Angel
Potters Angel

Other:
Mystery Wrasse
Green Wrasse
Pyramid Butterfly
School of Barletts Anthias (12+)
School of Lyretail Anthias (6)
Bluelined Foxface
Scribbled Foxface
Mated pair of Maroon Clown (spawning every few weeks)

markandkristen, ct_vol , and lvreefer -
I like XM 10k very well.

cowboyswife, Big Bob UK , Marko9, tongphan, markandkristen ,cwegescheide, Largo50, GreyHawk1968 -
I really appreciate all the support you have given me. Thanks!

lotus02 - I only have one. It is doing very well in my tank. In fact, it is one of the most aggressive eater. I will post a picture of it soon.

Sheol - I first entered into this hobby with a fish only tank. Angels were, and still are my favorite amongst all the saltwater fish. Indeed, I am happy to see how well-behaved my angels have been in my sps tank. I will try to get more pictures later.

smoney - Yes, that is a mated pair of flame angels.

vidrine7322 - I am feeding them the New Life Marine Formula Pellet, Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Formula Two Pellet. I didn't feed any frozen food for the past year, but I just started and they have just begun to feed on mysis.

kev apsley, chrismhaase, vidrine7322, CSS Reef, lvreefer and Serioussnaps -
When I first started to collect SPS three years ago, I primarily acquired frags from the local hobbyist. My first tank was a 20g tank packed with SPS, which lasted for nine months. After the move into my new house, I transferred my SPS collection into a 90g tank. Up to this date, I have over 200 SPS in my collection. I think approximately 50% of my SPS are grown from frags. The rest are a combination of both maricultured and wild colonies.

I realized that the SPS would collide into each other in a matter of time. Taking this into account, I located them at least 6 inch apart from each other at the initial stages of my 320g. Also, based on my observation and research on the growth forms of my corals, I intentionally located most of the stag-like SPS to the right of my tank. All the SPS in the deepwater family are stationed at the edge of the center rocks. As for the left hand side, there are a few intentional layers of liverock with PVC underneath, where I also put mostly stag-like SPS on the top to hide the black plastic acrylic of the overflow box. In addition, I positioned the rocks so they only reach 1/3 of the tank's height, this was taken in account to maximize the space for horizontal growth and to ensure all the flow wouldn't be restricted by the rock.

The growth in my corals has been incredible so far, which has really taken me by surprise.

I am a firm believer that keeping a well-balanced reef and maintaining stability are two critical keys to success in the long term for this hobby.

The proper setup with appropriate light level for SPS, proper circulation with good flow, and pristine water quality are the fundamental elements for healthy SPS. I routinely cooked 300lbs of LR for 6 months prior to the setup. I have never added any additives into my tank apart from Alk powder and Turbo calcium as required. To ensure proper nutrient export with such a high bioload, I have an oversized skimmer. I make sure there is no detritus or fish waste settling at the bottom of my tank. The only exception is at a corner where I designed the flow pattern to direct all the waste towards. This way, all the detritus and fish waste can easily be siphoned out regularly.

I tried placing 4 Tunze 6100 Streams on the left side before. However, the flow was too strong which broke down all the fish waste, which then polluted and deteriorated the water quality. Now, with a Tunze Wavebox, 2 Tunze 6100 pumps and closed loop system in the tank for flow, all the detritus and fish waste are gradually moving to one spot. At the same time, all my SPS are getting proper moderate flow.

In addition, I am feeding my fish 8-10 times a day, but I try not to overfeed each time. I make sure all the food is consumed within a minute so it doesn't get sucked into my overflow.

Keeping my water parameters in check is necessity. However, the test kits only tell you the absolute figure at that point in time; therefore daily observation is very more important. By day by day monitoring, further actions can be taken when necessary.

One of the reasons for the faded washed out colors in my SPS is likely due to a low nutrient level. The other reason is that it may be caused by too intensive lighting for less light-demanding corals.

From my observation, some SPS require intensive lighting for better colors while some only demand a certain degree of lighting to color up. When those less-light demanding SPS are located under too intensive lighting for a prolonged period of time, the colors become faded and washed out.

With that said, I always experiment with the placement of SPS to try and find the most favorable spot.

Mac Inger - I love having many fish, their movements brings life to my SPS tank.
Old 09/20/2007, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

Old 09/20/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Fastfish:

Yeah, its unfortunate that angels get such a bad rep amonst us reefers. Even Centropyge ( nice flame pair BTW), most of which are fairly safe with SPS at least.
Yeah, I noticed the P. chrysus in your first set of pics. I've never seen one in a US tank. Also the scribbled..
Angels where what lured me back in the hobby, specifically looking at Flames! LOL.

Sincerely,
Matthew
Old 09/20/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

The only angel I have experience with was my poor coral beauty, never bothered any of my coral's (mostly SPS), but I would still be hesitant in adding them to my new setup.

Yes I'm a coward!
Old 09/20/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

It's always a pleasure to see pics of your Tank.

Stunning!!

Jason
Old 09/20/2007, 07:11 PM
Catch and release

Old 09/20/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Wow, love all the angels. Great setup.
Old 09/20/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of getting around 12 bartlett anthias too, how do you find them?

Any chance you are selling frags? I would love to get some of yours!
Old 09/21/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fastfish
I am a firm believer that keeping a well-balanced reef and maintaining stability are two critical keys to success in the long term for this hobby.
Amen! Number two thing i try to impress on people in the hobby. Right behind obsorbing as much information as possible.

Quote:
I tried placing 4 Tunze 6100 Streams on the left side before. However, the flow was too strong which broke down all the fish waste, which then polluted and deteriorated the water quality.
I'm curious about your comment. I reley on a natural process (DSB) and skimming. Was this a limitation of the water flow through the overflow/skimmer, fish load, or just a method that you have chosen for nutrient control. I'm curious because I went with a DSB to help control a large fish load..?..?

Last edited by lvreefer; 09/21/2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

I noticed the lack of PE on the first pic in the thread...the blue millie. Is that from nipping from the angels? Obviously its healthy so i guess its kind of like nature where it retracts during the day from predators and at night?
Old 09/21/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

What media are you running in your Deltec fluidized media reactor? Do you have any pictures of the pvc structure behind the rocks? I like the layered effect it gives.
Old 09/21/2007, 06:55 PM
espyesitis sufferer

[speechless]
Old 09/21/2007, 07:33 PM
ren and stimpy

that is an extremely nice SPS tank, and the fish selection is great too, very nicely done.
Old 09/22/2007, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

Sheol -
The same types of my angels have appeared on some previous TOTMs. Copp has trio spectacular Regals in his beautiful reef tank. He also has two Chrysurus Angel if i remember correctly. I think Doug from the Deltec forum also has one in his awesome reef tank as well. I believe having many angels in a reef tank is possible if we can do some research on the species and carefully selecting the right ones to suit your reef. I have very strict rules for fish selection. I also well planned the exact order to add my fish, to ensure their survival and minimize conflict. I will never buy a fish if I don't think it will survive in my tank for long term.

Conowynne -
I am feeding all my fish very well. They do occasionally nip at my SPS which don't show any damage. However, I wouldn't add any angels if my tank was not mature or was only stocked with a lot of frags.

Jason McK -
Thanks! You must be lot of fun with your new toy.

jkhchris -
Sorry,I missed your question. I don't have any frag waiting list. I haven't sold any frags for 1 and half years

fishdoc11, Dejavu, Unarce, kozmo02 -
Thanks so much!

i2ik - I acquired mine from a LFS. A school of anthias swimming in the open top areas of a SPS tank definitely adds a lot of life! At the moment, I don't have any frags to share. I haven't sold any frags for 1 and half years because I am always excited to observe the growth process of a frag to become a colony. If you see the 4th picture in the first page, I have had this Beckett tort for 3 years. I acquired it when it was only 1/2 inch!

lvreefer - One of the fundamental elements to run a BB setup is to use strong flow, in order to keep all the detritus in suspension. In turn, it will be removed by wet skimming or manually siphoning out from the sump or a particular area where the detritus is intentionally directed. Base on my experience, especially with so many fish, when I had 4 Tunzes in my tank, they did offer strong flow to my SPS but they also kept all the particles in suspension. They would break down all the fish poop right away and pollute the water. To illustrate it clearly, if you sink fish poop in a bucket of clear water, let it sink and then siphon it out. The water will be still clear. However, if you stir it, the water will become very dirty as it is now dissolved into the water. This is just a belief from my personal experience.

That being said, manual nutrient export is an important part of my tank to continually improve my water quality. By properly locating 2 Tunze in my tank, they are providing sufficient flow for all my SPS. At the same time, they are providing enough flow to keep all particles in suspension but directing (not breaking down) some fish poop to a particular area where I can easily siphoning out from the tank every other days.

I had a 20g SPS tank with DSB. It worked well for me at that time. However, I went with BB because I believe aggressive of nutrient export sounded promising for my ideal heavily stocked fish and SPS tank. I have been very pleased with my decision to go BB so far.

Keep in mind, this is just from my experience. I have seen many successful DSB tanks.

sivert55 -
I am using Rowalith C+, which is specially designed for Deltec fluidized Calcium reactors to achieve a high output for Alk and Cal. My reactor is providing around 60-70 dKh at the effluent now (almost straight stream at the effluent). I have been very happy with the results. I have yet to use my Kalk stirrer.

I like to have a variety of SPS in my tank so I have designed my LR structure to mimic a Japanese bonsai reef tank. It is always fun to watch my fish swimming on top of my sps. I will try to get a picture.

Serioussnaps -
I always pay particular attention to the polyp extension from all my SPS. It is part of my observation to determine their healthiness.
I occasionally notice my angels nipping at the tips. However, I hardly notice them nipping at the polyps except when a few of them were first introduced into my tank. As you mentioned, the lack of polyp extension is most likely due to natural retraction during the day from predators.

During the day, the polyps don't extend fully, but there is still decent polyp extension to indicate their good health. At night all the polyps are fully extended. I try to keep a constant eye on my SPS and I am only concerned if I don't see full polyp extension from them at night (light off).

I am feeding my fish very heavily. Also, I don't have any snails in my tank. All my fish act as my personal tank clean up crew! As long as the fish are well fed, they hardly taste test the polyps of my SPS and they STILL clean up everything. I will post better pictures of polyp extension from my SPS during day time soon.
Old 09/22/2007, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Old 09/22/2007, 08:38 AM

Very nice fastfish!! Love your fish selection. What are your plans for future fish? Anything in mind?
Old 09/22/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

All true, but how many TOTMs have all those angels in the same tank.
I am aware though, that the japanese are becoming experts at keep Angel community tanks. Don't think there are that many that are full reef yet. But you & a few others prove it can be done.
As regards chrysurus, I've yet to see one offered in a fish store, though I could find one online probably.

Oh well, more drool by my keyboard!

Matthew
Old 09/22/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Its nice to have the ocean in your home, great work and an inspiration to all us fellow hobbyists. Great photo skills. Thank you for sharing. TOTM material for sure.
Old 09/23/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Well, maybe I might finally see a P. chyrsurus afterall someday soon. My LFS just got a 6 lined angel (large juvi, nearly transformed). I bet they don't know how large this angel grows!

Matthew
Old 09/23/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Very nice tank, very nice selection of fishes, I am upgrading my 210 sps to a 375 BB SPS and I am going to do a similar model than yours, I will be following this thread closely, Thanks for sharing.

Rogger
Old 09/24/2007, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

invincible569 -
Thanks. And yes, I have quite a few fish on my list. The next fish which will be added to my tank is a sub-adult Imperator Angel. I prefer the sub-adult Imperator Angel from Christmas island but it is really hard to come by.

There is fish shipment coming in every week. Most of Imperator Angel in the shipment are big, full adult size or they are still at the juvenile stage. I have always been patient and careful in selecting the right choice of fish for my tank.

Sheol -
There are at least 7 LFS within 1 hour drive in my area. They always provide a great selection of corals and fish. One of the LFS has always been able to get excellent fish shippment every week. They even imported 3 Wrought Iron Butterflyfishs (C. daedalma) a few months back from Japan. The price was exceptionaly high tho.

As for Chrysurus Angels, it usually comes in once a month here. I noticed one just this past week.

mile sq. reefer -
Thanks. In fact, I am pretty new to photography, but I will try to learn as much as I can on the Photography forum, and take some more pictures to share.

Rogger Castells-
Congratulations on your upgrading. I will try to share as much as I can from my experience.
Old 09/24/2007, 06:52 AM
Premium Member