Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2004, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Refugium

I am fairly new to the saltwater tank, its been set up for under a month, and I am wondering what benefits a refugium has on a tank. Mine is a 75 gallon fish only tank with a wet/dry. Should I set up a refugium with my smaller ten gallon tank and if so how excatly would I do it. Thanks all.
Old 10/20/2004, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Refugium increases the water you tank system has, also good for water circulation (provided you use the return line as a "powerhead"), and I also hear they are good for nitrate levels (this is why I'm adding one). If you have opposite lightening scheme then your main tank, it could help keep the pH constant.
You need an overflow unit on your main tank, some way for the water to get to the refuge. From there, it's kinda up to you on what you want in there. Keep searching, I know to keep the nitrate levels down you may want to look into certain plants. Sand and LR (live rock) are other favorites. Then a pump for the return line. Are you interested in a sump/refuge combo. I've done alot of research on mine, I figure if I'm going to do the work, I'm going to do the sump/refugium combo.
Old 10/20/2004, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

I guess the main question that I have is how many pumps would I need? I already have a 950 gph pump in my wet/dry sump circulating the water back into the tank. I would be doing a sump/refugium combo and at some point in time I will need to hook a protein skimmer to the setpup. Which should I do first, the refugium or the skimmer? Would I need a second pump for the skimmer?

Thanks for all the help,
Bryson