Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Very nice Rue! I need a new tri-pod I broke mine a few weeks back... long story... But I can not hold still enough to use my macro lenses without a tri-pod. They sure do take some awesome pictures though, I love the detail corals have when you zoom in that close.

Someone over in the Arizona forum was talking about this flash light you can use to make things glow or a filter they put onto something... i cant remember off hand exactly. But some kind of ultra violet looking thing, the pictures were amazing!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Wow was at a store in Columbus yesterday (Phishybusiness) had groovy acan frags (Aussie) from 40-100 I had to get one. If your looking for acans give them a call. I will take a pic when my camera gets back from Florida It was left there.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:38 PM
Genuine reef addict

Nice pics Rue! I really like those zoas - will you send them to me asap? LOL. The 2 types of clowns are a nice contrast, Nice goldfish too - is that second gfish pic an oranda? My memory isn't the greatest on them anymore.

Welcome back home mbdave - bummer on the camera, but the new coral sounds nice.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Here lets see if this works. Look at this picture and then what he used to take it with.
This is what they looked like normally
Quote:
Originally posted by Saddler
Does anyone have an ID for the zoas in the upper-center? It looks like they're a hybrid breed between the 2 types of zoas that it's surrounded by.

These are with that flash light thing, I have to get one!

Quote:
Originally posted by Saddler
Hey guys, you're trampling on my moment of glory. dvlax40, feel free to continue with the superfluous vocabulary.

Here's the only picture that I could find of these colonies from when I first got them a few months back:

It doesn't help much though since it was lit with a nightsea flashlight. But you can see that 2 of the polyps were originally grouped up near the orange-blues (I'm not actually sure of the names of any of these). Their mouths look peach, but so do some of the mouths of the other orange-blues. The "originals" are probably fire-and-ice; I'm not sure of the lighting of the first shot since I just re-aquascaped and switched a couple of bulbs - in their current location they look much more white on the discs - that's directly under a 6500k bulb, with the other bulbs in the tank being 3 blues, 1 super actinic, and an aquasun.

I'll try isolating the different zoas, but I've never before fragged zoas. Can someone point me to a link with good advice on how to do this?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:50 PM
Genuine reef addict

On the Nightsea - check these out:

http://www.nightsea.com/fl5000.htm

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic56823-26-1.aspx

Funny - I was thinking yesterday of bringing home a high intensity blacklight from work - short & long wave, to see what corals would look like under UV. I also have some UV blacklight bulbs here I can try.

The only thing is - this is totally unnatural lighting and while pretty it isn't even close to real life. I hope they don't start selling corals with pictures like that or there will be a lot of disappointed people!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

yes my cleaner shrimp is carrying eggs but they probably wont survive. and they look like eagle eyes but they are blue green and red my camera is just a point and shoot!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

oh ya and on the frag rack all i did was glue the suction cups to the egg crate with super glue
Old 01/05/2008, 09:16 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks guys!

Reefmack...dunno what that green zoa is called...but it's very nice...and yes, the orange fish is an Oranda! Very good if you're on the verge of forgetting!

Here are 2 more (stupid uploading is taking forever too!)

Old 01/05/2008, 09:22 PM
Professional Obfuscator

BTW...I think those are 'Fire and Ice' zoas too...because that's one of the ones I recently ordered and got...I originally thought they'd look different than what they really do...don't really like them...rather bland...but maybe when the colony gets to any size they'll look better...

Guess that's the risk when you order based on photographs...
Old 01/05/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Rue -- Ohhh I really like those Corals you have in that picture. A local store here sells them for $15 a polyp, very nice!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:30 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks! The Duncans are probably my favourites! They LOVE to eat...I love to watch them stuff their faces (literally!) I started with 2 back in September, and as you can see...they're multiplying nicely...
Old 01/05/2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack, thanks for the links.

ydesygnguy, Awesome ric rock, Iam working on a ric rock also, damn it hard to glue them suckers

Is everyone still running stock lights, and how often do you change your bulbs.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleduece
ydesygnguy, Awesome ric rock, Iam working on a ric rock also, damn it hard to glue them suckers
Ohhhh I sooooo hate it! Slimy little things, with hardly any rock on the bottom of them! I hate it, we were just talking about that a few pages back(well maybe 20 by now ).

Good luck with your shroom rock, I love mine! I still have room I still see rock!!!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:36 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Now I'm gonna bore you guys...but I'll stop soon...I promise!

I cropped very close, and the photo blurred...but you can still see the beautiful colours! Love these guys too!

My Amazon parrot:

Another close crop of my Mini-Dachsie's head:

Old 01/05/2008, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

From the front to the back excluding filter. I am looking for usable space.

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Marty - the tank as received is 24" across the top. What measurement are you asking for - front to back, or across the front?
Old 01/05/2008, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Rue -

Where can I get "Saltwater Goldfish"?

Old 01/05/2008, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Rue -

OK... I get it.... You own a Pet Store or live in a menagerie!

Old 01/05/2008, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
NaCl+H2O Fish - yes - you have to complete the online orders rather than leave them in the cart LOL! Without going through the thousand pages of this thread I'm not sure I could even remember or locate all the skimmer mods. Plus, without an explanation for each, a picture in a gallery may not be enough. I think the most successful ones seem to be in the last 2 splits though. as pseudo leader of the gang I'll assign you the task hahahaha! Just kidding. On the power consumption of the RSM I have no idea. They sell something to measure that type of thing though - I think it's called a Kill-A-Watt? Just found it:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...il%20watt&Np=1

My measurement wouldn't help as I don't have much stock equipment left. I'm not sure if it's on the Red Sea site or not?
Reefmack -

Once again the ORACLE comes through!

I thought a device like this existed.... and of course you found it!

Thanks!
Old 01/05/2008, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy: I love those little clowns!! My favorite is the one with just one patch ... how cute is that??? Your tank is looking beautifully 'reefish' ... and your rics are lovely. Great job! I'm jealous of your photography skills.

I have never glued any frags yet, & I really don't want to, after hearing you guys moan & groan.

stephensturman: Your tank is really coming along!! I like the frag shelf you built and it looks nice & tidy in the tank. 'sorry you lost your fish. How do you acclimate them before putting them in the tank?

I know lots of you have ordered frags by photos online. This is what I've done, too, and mine are arriving on Tuesday. I hear you about the prices of acans ... I spent a small fortune and I'm really anxious about what they will look like 'in person'.

rue: hey, you're getting really handy with the camera! Lovely corals, too. Do the Duncans sting; do you have to keep them away from other corals? They are so pretty. The zoas have great colors. Have the frags you ordered online grown any yet? Great shots of your parrot & doggie, too. When algae is actively growing, it uses the phosphates, that's probably why you are getting a 0 reading, it's kind of a false reading because phosphates are in there, for sure.

doubledeuce, I am running stock lights and am not planning on changing them out. Just my opinion, but I will probably change the bulbs close to the end of a year's use. Lights loose their strength, and the human eye can't detect it right away, but the corals will notice the change.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:15 AM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - I like the Duncans too. As with Donna I've wondered if they're "peaceful". I don't recall ever seeing any at my lfs though. Great pics - and even though the Christmas Rock was enlarged & cropped those little "trees" are really pretty. I think you've already surpassed me in picture taking ability! I'll agree with Donna - you may be getting zero readings on phosphates, as they're being consumed by the algae. Same with nitrates - have you checked all 3 lately - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Something must be feeding the algae. You could also try the "chaeto" in a suction cup soap dish to help consume whatever is keeping the algae fed - easier than a refugium.

On the zoas, etc. one reason I recently changed my halide bulb from 10,000k to 20,000k was to get my corals looking like they do in pictures. I agree - coral pics are really deceiving as most people don't have the same lighting, plus I think they often tweak the colors a bit to intensify them. I've more than once asked on an online site what lighting they take their pictures under.

Last edited by Reefmack; 01/06/2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

thanks all......love tha forum

red sea max owner ........... 4 days

now self confessed addict!

cheerz
Old 01/06/2008, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

welcome! lets see some pics. is your setup modded at all or are u runnin stock?
Old 01/06/2008, 09:55 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hey onebee - Welcome to the RSM Club! Congrats on having the tank 4 days! Always good to see another new owner. It doesn't take long to get addicted - some of were before the tanks even got set up. Keep us posted on your progress and/or questions. Adelaide as in Australia? We have a couple of your countymen in here.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

ACK!!!

Look what happened to a fellow RSM owner this morning. He is local here in Phoenix, he woke up to this!

Quote:
Originally posted by shramj
This morning my 34gallon RedSeaMax tank cracked. About half the water leaked out of the tank. The leak has slowed but I need to store my stuff somewhere. Is there anyone on the Westside that has room in a quarantine tank for my stuff? I took a picture of the container my corals will be in and here is also a picture of the cracked tank. I do have 5 fish (1 clown, firefish, gramma, sixline wrasse, and a yallow goby) 1 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs and various snails and hermit crabs.

I feel for him, how awful that would be to wake up to this. He said he doesn't know what happened, he just heard a water fall coming from his tank and saw that!
Old 01/06/2008, 10:47 AM
Genuine reef addict

Wow - that is scary! A tank owner's worst nightmare! I feel for him too. If that happened to me it the reefing would be over forever.

Marty - I just took these RSM measurements - approximate:

Width across the front - 24"

Height top to bottom - 20.5"

Depth front to back - total 19.25', front display tank 15" (the difference is the depth of the back compartment.

The RSM cabinet is 31" high