Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 12:14 AM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by aiko670
+2

Quote:
Originally posted by aiko670 Does that cute blond know what a
you are?

--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 01/11/2008, 12:19 AM

Fish_wiz2 - I hit a home plumbing snag so hanging the canopy is getting delayed. I will be taking a bunch more pics when I hang it. More pics coming soon.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 01/11/2008, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Cool thanks.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:36 AM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by 444reefkeeper
I feel the carpet is a safety hazard and must be removed. Lets say Aiko stops over and takes his shoes off. It is very likely that one of his snaggly toe nails will get caught on one of the loops of the carpet. Thus causing him to fall 2 feet to the floor. Suprisingly, while going into panic convulsions, he lands on his face and actually straightens out his mis-shapen nose. Disgruntled, Aiko sues me for facial disfigurement. He claims the other Shire Folk with make fun of him. I lose the case. Aiko gets plastic surgery and my 540 gallon tank which him and the whole Shire move into. I get left with a 12 gallon nano with a single PC. The sps die from light deprivation causing an ammonia spike killing the tangs and other inhabitants. A fish carcass blocks the drain and causes the tank to overflow, thus running the filter dry. The carcass become unlodged because the filter is has stopped pumping water. A small rush of backed up water goes into the filter. The pump spits it out into the low tank causing splash up that shorts out the light and burns down my house. I am left with absolutely nothing.

So you can see that it is unconditionally crucial that I dispose of the shag carpet promtly.

Sara B.- Karen is referring to the groovy shag carpet upstairs. That and the stained up blue tile have got to go. It does not complete my feng shui.

Mojo baby, yeah!- Thanks man! I love threads with pics so I'll keep'em rollin.
My evil plan was foiled again..... I'll get you next time.....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:19 PM

You remind me of Dr. Evils' Mini-Me!

Only hairier!
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 01/11/2008, 05:56 PM
OT GODFATHER

how much longer till the swap?
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 01/11/2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

444, this is kinda OT (well very OT), but since it looks like you know your way around woodworking I figured I'd ask. I'm making my own stand and possibly a bar to go on the front of my inwall tank. The only tools I own are a cordless drill and dremel. Can you give me a list of what I'll need to buy to do my job right? Not necessarily the best equipment, but good enough quality so I can get it done without the equipment being a hinderance. Thanks much.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 01/11/2008, 07:08 PM

tonya- 15 days...

mcliffy2- OT is welcome. I'm not really the best with wood working. You be suprised what you can't see in a picture!

My tools(wood working) are fairly basic. I haven't gotten into actual cabinet making. Yet. I used the following to make the stand and canopy:

10" compound miter saw(can use a circular saw)
For the 2x4 frame and 1x trim pieces. I picked up a 10" sliding compound miter on sale at Menards for $80. Not a brand name, but it does the job. My reg. miter couldn't do wide boards, so I got a sliding miter saw instead.

table saw(can use circular saw)
To cut the ply wood. Once again, a circular saw can be used.

tape measure
Well, you know...

Cordless drill, hammer, pencil, square, wood file, sand paper, a couple drill bits, possibly clamps, rags
Depending on how its made... I screw as much as I can together. I nail my finishing work.

Putty, stain or paint, clear coat
Depends on how you make it. Like I said, I'm no professional so putty and I are good friends. I used to paint my stands, etc.. black. I like the look of stain way better. Its pretty easy too.

Hope this helped atleast a little. These are the basics of what I use. I recently got a router. I'm able to finish the wood without having to buy corner trim, etc.. to give it that finished look. You can find any tool relatively cheap. It depends on what you need it to do though. Example:

Circular saw
My base, table, whatever... angles out so I can 45 wood to make nice corners. I believe its pretty much a base option, but I have seen a CHEAP saw that didn't have that feature. My Skil was $50-60?

Table saw
Usually don't need anything fancy. If you need one at all. Just depends on how often used, how straight of pieces you want and how you plan to trim. Trim can easily hide imperfections... I did buy a nicer Craftsman table saw because I wanted a large table and a blade that miters/angles to a 45 degree angle so I can do a whole lot more. I think I spent around $300. You can probably get one for $100 or under.

compound miter saw
Lots of options here as well. My 1st one was about $50-60. I wanted to be able to chop wider boards so I got a sliding saw. It was really cheap at $80.

router
Lots of options again. My Skil plunge router was $80. My table was $120. If anything I would comprimise more on the router, but not the table. Most of the tables had laminate surfaces which I can see getting all scratched up and not being able to read the marks. I got a Craftsman table which is all cast.

Hows that for OT?
--t-l-f--
---d-y---