Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up Fish pictures.... & thanks to Ali!

Firstly just wanted to say a public thank you to Ali. I purchased a young adult Magestic Angel and 4 Barletts from Ali a couple weeks ago. Ali has even sent me two messages to check on the fish, escpecially the large angel since they can be tricky to get to eat. Very few other LFS would do that!!!! Thanks!

I thought I would share a few pictures. The first 4 pictures are under Phoenix 14k and the last one is an older picture under XM 10k. I do not have any actinic supplementation yet.

Older picture under XM 10K

Last edited by reef_doug; 11/10/2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Nice!!! Is that angel safe with coral???
Old 11/10/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

So far yes, but it's only been 2 wks so far. I do have SPS, Zoas and clams, but no open brains.
Any angel is definitely risky, I researched it and belive of the larger angels the Majestic is a better bet.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...majestic+angel

Again, no Angel will be completely safe. I've even heard of Bellus Angels picking at SPS.

Last edited by reef_doug; 11/10/2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

wow..really nice.
Old 11/10/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

man...your tank is clean.

Go Angels.
Old 11/10/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

My wife digital camera is old, my picture taking skill is suck otherwise I would have post a picture of the yellow blenny I bought from Ali's store today.
Old 11/10/2007, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Tank looks great. It would be great f you can keep us updated on the angel. I read through the majestic angel thred and i thought they were known as zoa killers there.
I always wanted one but was kinda scared that it would mow down my scolymia and cynarinas and so on...
Old 11/10/2007, 07:01 PM
The Lord is my strength!

Nice. I liked it better under the 10K XM's. Do you have any full tanks shots? I would love to see them. From your signature it looks like your tank is a 180 gallon, correct?

Thanks for sharing,
Bill
Old 11/10/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

the 4th pictures, look like there is a crack on the glass...who is Ali ? Where is his shop ?
Old 11/10/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J4Life
Nice. I liked it better under the 10K XM's. Do you have any full tanks shots? I would love to see them. From your signature it looks like your tank is a 180 gallon, correct?

Thanks for sharing,
Bill
Yes it's 180, 6x2x2. I'll post some full shots this evening.

I'll keep it updated if the Angel nips. I personally think the majestic is the best looking of all angels. I had to recently turn in my coral beauty because he developed a taste for SPS.

I asked Ali to keep an eye for one that has adult pattern, yet I wanted a young adult because I heard the smaller ones may have better success in a reef tank in regards to nipping. I was in no hurry, and it took a couple weeks for Ali to find a really nice one at Quality Marine. I took the picture with the Angel next to the 4.5" YT to show it's small size.

There is an aquarium set up in a Del Taco here in Victorville with a large Majestic Angel (7") with SPS & clams and he has never nipped. This helped to influence my decision to try one. No zoas in that tank though.

On the lighting without actinics, IMO the tank looks better in person with Phoenix 14k. For me the XM 10k was too bright & white. However in pictures the brightness of 10k really looks nice. I'm going to add actinic and hopefully go back to 10k for better growth.

The fourth picture may look like a crack or scratch, but it's actually 20# fishing line with a veggie clip on the other end. I use this to drop it towards the back cave. The Angel is still shy and won't fight with the tangs if it's stuck to the front. Interesting thing though.. the angel eats Julian Sprungs sea veggies but only the purple. He wont eat the green and I havent tried the brown yet. He's not on pellets yet, fingers are crossed for that.

Last edited by reef_doug; 11/10/2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 08:20 PM
The Lord is my strength!

Hey Doug. I am currently running 10K XM's on my 75 gallon with two ATI Blue + T5 bulbs, with IceCap SLR's overdriven on an IceCap 660 ballast. I love the coloration it gives. I intend to run this same setup on my 180 gallon Oceanic tank once it is setup. Just thought that I would mention that in case you're looking at all options.

The coloration is a nice clean look and growth well let's just say off the charts!

Look forward to the FTS's.

Bill
Old 11/10/2007, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J4Life
Hey Doug. I am currently running 10K XM's on my 75 gallon with two ATI Blue + T5 bulbs, with IceCap SLR's overdriven on an IceCap 660 ballast. I love the coloration it gives. I intend to run this same setup on my 180 gallon Oceanic tank once it is setup. Just thought that I would mention that in case you're looking at all options.

The coloration is a nice clean look and growth well let's just say off the charts!

Look forward to the FTS's.

Bill
Thanks, sounds like a good mix. I'm getting ok growth with 14k, but would like to get it, well as you say off the charts!

I'm leaning towards XM10k with KZ Fiji Purple T5 and Actinic 03 T5(not sure which brand yet) on IC660. I'm using IC250w HQI ballast on my MH DE's.
Old 11/10/2007, 08:37 PM
Reefer

Beautiful tank and gorgeous fish. Yes, Ali is great folk and I hope to see his store soon, but it's a bit of a drive.

Chaffey-I think the address is in this thread, as it's all about Ali's new store:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1227738

Joyce
Old 11/10/2007, 09:30 PM
Is it nap time yet?????

try garlic on the food soak it overnight and you may see some eating soon

"In the Torah it says "love thy neighbor as thy self". The Buddha says there is no "self". So maybe you are off the hook."
Old 11/10/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

your local Del Taco has a sps/clam tank??
Old 11/10/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigian
your local Del Taco has a sps/clam tank??
Yep, it's about a 220g system with over 200 lbs LR, acros, clowns, anemones, even gerogonian purple sea fans. The Del Taco is locally owned since 1965 and one of the original ones. Better grub than all the other ones too! But the fish burritos.... we'll that's another story. Good thing it's not really fresh... if you know what I mean!

Last edited by reef_doug; 11/10/2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Nice fish collection Doug.What kind of camera are you using?
Old 11/11/2007, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry760
Nice fish collection Doug.What kind of camera are you using?
Just a Sony Cybershot 3.2 mp point & shoot. Photography is not really my thing, but I'm thinking about getting a cheap tripod. Corals aren't coming out in pics very well, too much hand shake I think.

If you need anymore water for the project, I have some NSW you can have. LMK
Old 11/11/2007, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

Visited the store today, nice place, nice to meet Ali.

Nice new pets! I had a feeling that it was fishing line, good idea. I also have a threesome of tangs that seem to school, like in the last picture, two purples and one yellow.

I noticed that you are in Victorville, and was wondering if on a long drive like that, how many times to you take a peak in the bag at your new fish? Do you start to have conversations with the little guys? I know I would...
Old 11/11/2007, 11:24 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
those Xm 10K look amazing in your pics..

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..