Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

PH help. I opened my windows

Well if you can help you know what happened. it is 8.8. that is as high as my test kit goes anyway. it was always low at 8.0-8.2.

what do I do?

Also how damaging is this to my fish, clam, inverts, SPS,LPS,softies?

Thanks

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/03/2007, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Roger, are u testing with a kit or is it from a probe?
Old 11/03/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

kit?

does it mater?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/03/2007, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

I would borrow a kit or ph meter from someone to check and see if yours is reading correct.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

i had my windows open all day and never saw a high reading.i have the probe on the AC jr and it was just calibrated the other day,i think your kit was bad or you did something wrong with the test.did you retest it yet?
Old 11/03/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

I didn't retest it but I used the kit just 4 days ago before opening the windows and I got a normal reading of 8.1

Why does it always have to be the test kit being bad?

Well lets go at it this way if it really is 8.8 and my test kit is right what should I do?

and

how long will my fish, corals ect. be ok with that high of a PH?

Old 11/03/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

ok well just redid the test and got the same results 8.8

also just to see if I would get the same reading I tested my RO water I got 7.4 that is as low as the test kit will read.

so

lets assume that my test kit is working fine. help me out what do I do. No stores are open to get PH down.

Roger

Old 11/03/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

i imagine a water change will help bring it down some.
Old 11/03/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I just changed 30% of the water yesterday.

I just reread the artical on PH in cemistry forum. I am going to bring the powerhead higher in the tank to get more air into the tank. Which dosn't make sence to me but that is what I got out of the article.

Did I read it right?

Roger

Old 11/03/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

alk 2.5meq/L or
cal 435

well from what I understand alk is low so I should add some baking soda?

Old 11/03/2007, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

if u try to add alk the ph will go up even higher...adding alk raises ph
Old 11/03/2007, 10:14 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

If your alkalinity is 2.5 meq/L, that means you have a DkH of 7, which is perfect, imo... I'm not sure I fully understand your post.. You opened your windows and that caused your ph to go up? At any rate, I would definitely question the test kit. What brand is it? Alot of hobbyist kits are fairly inaccurate, IMO..
Old 11/03/2007, 10:44 PM
ANCHOR member

you must of had a CO2 build up in your house . When you opened the windows the CO2 dropped , and your ph came up . If your house is tight you can get a build up of CO2 . Ted
Old 11/03/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I am going to bring the powerhead higher in the tank to get more air into the tank. Which dosn't make sence to me but that is what I got out of the article.
Their intent is to bring down the pH by incorporating more CO2 from the surrounding environment. However, by opening up the house you have vented the excess CO2 from it and this trick may not work.

Quote:
well from what I understand alk is low so I should add some baking soda?
Baking soda will increase the pH, actually it lowers it first but that is only temporary, as well as the alkalinity. BTW, 2.5meq/L is fine don't mess with right now.

Even if we assume the test kit is correct, most hobbyist kits are not, unless the animals appear to be in distress I would do nothing but observe. If you feel you need to do something then close a window or two.

“Because I'm hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn!” – Gunnery Sgt. Hartman
Old 11/04/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

well I closed the door and windows to the fish room. I will test PH again when I get home.

Thanks everyone.

I did my best reading the chemistry forum but I did get confused alittle as you can tell.

Roger

Old 11/04/2007, 08:18 AM
ANCHOR member

Thanks John, I just said what caused the problem , you gave him the answer he was looking for . Ted
Old 11/04/2007, 09:12 AM
yeah...right

Quote:
Originally posted by reefrubble
Thanks John, I just said what caused the problem , you gave him the answer he was looking for . Ted
I guess it is up to you veterans now to help out the locals who seek knowledgeable advise for help since those punks PO some very experienced hobbyist and others who do not want to post on this forum do to that. I say TBRC lost anywhere from 30 70yrs experience in the hobby.

Just my observation I do not see any of those "know it all" offering any insight, suggestion, adivse or guidance to this forum.

Yes, and I thought twice before I hit the submit button
Old 11/04/2007, 09:33 AM
ANCHOR member

Nice.
Old 11/04/2007, 09:34 AM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

mine got up to 8.5 yesterday ..
im just going to watch mine and see what happens.
i always though my ph problem was the CO2 in the room
Old 11/04/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

I know my low ph is due to the high CO2 in the house, it has been nice to see a ph above 7.9.

Old 11/04/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

is that one day of reading ben?

Old 11/04/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

about a day and a half
Old 11/04/2007, 01:51 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

As John and others noted: opening up the windows/doors will raise the PH. Here's an example: during the summer the PH in my coral/fish room would read on my Aquacontroller 8.4 at about 10 am. Once customers start strolling in the PH began to drop. In the summer, with the building shut up tight, the PH would often drop from 8.4 to 7.8 between 10 am and 2 pm. We put in a stationary wall vent to draw in outside air cooled by the A/C unit and that helped some. Then we hooked up our protein skimmers to draw in outside air and that helped keep the PH drop to about 8.0. Here's how we knew the cause. We tested the CO2 by taking a bucket of the tank water and airing it with a venturi powerhead in the display room and the PH didn't rise. We then took the venturi outside and the PH jumped pretty quick. This is a great way to figure out if the inside air is affecting the PH due to CO2 buildup. Now, with the doors open to the store the PH is staying up around 8.4-8.6 during the day, so you're probably seeing that same phenomena with your system. I think you're doing right by closing the doors and windows and then monitoring the PH again. I agree with the above posters...many of the test kits can be inaccurate and in this case, unless you see stress in the tank you shouldn't jump to make adjustments until you are sure of the problem. GL! Marcye
Old 11/04/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Well thanks to everyone that helped me out with this. Including the two LFS for taking your time to type out this info for me. it was very help full.

Roger

Old 11/04/2007, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

3 answered and it was very nice of them