Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

Do LFS owners Post Here?

I do not want to mention any fish store names, or anything like that, especially after seeing the crucifictions in a recently closed thread. I am kinda scared.

I just wanted to get a hold of a particular locally respected LFS owner in the area and was wondering if I could get him to pm me, or if I could pm him. It is just that he is bout the only LFS that does not have its own website, none that I know of anyways. I dont get out in that area much, and was really hoping to maybe discuss some stuff about fish that I was interested in aqcuiring.

I am not violating any terms or anything am I? How else can I contact this person?
Old 10/26/2007, 05:21 AM
Underground Art Studio

Why don't you just PM them? You don't need to start a thread stating you want to contact someone - not sure of the nature of this post???

You can PM anyone you like and if they respond then fine - if not then drop it.

I've been in one of the stores mentioned hundreds of times (freshwater) - they don't even know my name - that is how much they care about their customers. Other stores in the area know me by name after one or two visits - they took the time to know me and most of all know my tanks. I may be different but that is the kind of store I want to get me fish/livestock etc from . . . but that is just me.

So PM just about any LFS but remember none of the new owners has taken the time to help us to this point. Look at the post numbers - A little help from them in the last 10 - 20 years (As they say they've been in the hobby) would have been nice.

Now they are opening a store or their friend is opening a store - now they they get on RC - NOT INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been in the hobby for well over 25 - 30 years so - Yes - I have frequented all the LFS in the area and not just the best one around .
Old 10/26/2007, 06:15 AM
Patient Reefer

LFS owners can post here as long as they are not advertising their business or conducting business.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Why dont you call him ?
Old 10/26/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

I think most store owners read this forum, but do not respond. And for good reason. Just look at the threads from the last few days! One thread mentions a store is having a party, that seems to be OK. One thread mentions a store opening, thats not OK. One thread mentions a store who is selling a truck load of sand, thats OK. Who decides?

We have to make sure we don't offend anyone and to make sure what we say in not perceived as advertising.

There are some store owners and employees on this forum that hide the fact that they work at or own a store. Thats not good either. But if you mention it, you might be seen as promoting your store. Then the Gods might rain fire down on you!!

Also, this is a reef forum and, as hard as it is to believe, hard core reef customers only make up about 10-20% of a LFS income. That is why the larger stores focus on all aspects of the aquarium hobby.

In short, it is very difficult to respond here as a store owner and not be seen one way or the other. So, most store owners decide to not respond at all. WOW I think I drank too much coffee this morning!! Just My .02
Old 10/26/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

I second laserjim, I'm sure you can look him up in the phonebook, just about every store out there has a phone number listed...
No need to ruffle anyones feathers in here again...
Aqua Star, It is funny how mentioning that a store is having a party is ok, how a store is opening is not ok, and another store is selling a truckload of sand is ok, lol what gives?

What if a store was to have a grand opening party and celebrate it by selling a truckload of sand???? LOL

who decides right???

Danny
Old 10/26/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I'd say 95% of lfs owners/employees read these threads. It's a business strategy. But this thread confuses me, why not just PM or call the lfs? I've even called LFS's before and asked for an email or RC name.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

The store that is "selling a truckload of sand" and the store that is "having a party" did not initiate the threads, or in the case of the sand, the sale. The issue seems to be initiating advertising which neither of these store has done.

And I agree with the other posters - just call the LFS in question.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:50 AM
Underground Art Studio

Quote:
Originally posted by Surferlopez
I second laserjim, I'm sure you can look him up in the phonebook, just about every store out there has a phone number listed...
No need to ruffle anyones feathers in here again...
Aqua Star, It is funny how mentioning that a store is having a party is ok, how a store is opening is not ok, and another store is selling a truckload of sand is ok, lol what gives?

What if a store was to have a grand opening party and celebrate it by selling a truckload of sand???? LOL

who decides right???

Danny
You might want to get your story straight before pointing fingers - I organized the group purchase of sand. I had to make the phone calls to get the best deal. We are talking all of Florida not just one of the LFS. My best deal was with FAOIS (John) and did you notice I didn't mention his stores name until the buy was almost closed????? I did that for reason – but since you’ve made a very large note of it – yes FAOIS helped me with this purchase – Thank you John for all your help and I do believe everyone else that got in on this also thanks you.
John is allowing me to use his parking lot and is helping me get this delivered - that is it. I'm responsible for everything else and I'm losing money on it - bet you didn't know that either. So please - you are the new guy (just here to advertise as far as I can see) and you need to do a little research about these group purchases before sticking you foot again in your mouth - don't point fingers at me and my group purchase. Everyone was welcome to purchase from me – not FAOIS – I’m sorry you missed your chance to purchase sand from me – maybe next time.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Well the reason I ask is because I do not know if the guy even posts here, or what his nick is, nor do I have the store number. No store website.

I guess can just wait until I am out in that area again, who knows when that'll be.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
You might want to get your story straight before pointing fingers - I organized the group purchase of sand. I had to make the phone calls to get the best deal. We are talking all of Florida not just one of the LFS. My best deal was with FAOIS (John) and did you notice I didn't mention his stores name until the buy was almost closed????? I did that for reason – but since you’ve made a very large note of it – yes FAOIS helped me with this purchase – Thank you John for all your help and I do believe everyone else that got in on this also thanks you.
John is allowing me to use his parking lot and is helping me get this delivered - that is it. I'm responsible for everything else and I'm losing money on it - bet you didn't know that either. So please - you are the new guy (just here to advertise as far as I can see) and you need to do a little research about these group purchases before sticking you foot again in your mouth - don't point fingers at me and my group purchase. Everyone was welcome to purchase from me – not FAOIS – I’m sorry you missed your chance to purchase sand from me – maybe next time.
BINGO!
Old 10/26/2007, 11:07 AM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Star
I think most store owners read this forum, but do not respond. And for good reason. Just look at the threads from the last few days! One thread mentions a store is having a party, that seems to be OK. One thread mentions a store opening, thats not OK. One thread mentions a store who is selling a truck load of sand, thats OK. Who decides?

We have to make sure we don't offend anyone and to make sure what we say in not perceived as advertising.

There are some store owners and employees on this forum that hide the fact that they work at or own a store. Thats not good either. But if you mention it, you might be seen as promoting your store. Then the Gods might rain fire down on you!!

Also, this is a reef forum and, as hard as it is to believe, hard core reef customers only make up about 10-20% of a LFS income. That is why the larger stores focus on all aspects of the aquarium hobby.

In short, it is very difficult to respond here as a store owner and not be seen one way or the other. So, most store owners decide to not respond at all. WOW I think I drank too much coffee this morning!! Just My .02
The store opening and all the hoopla was done as an advertisement.
The store party was a local hobbyist without a connection to the store telling about the party.
Check the history of both and you will see the difference.

I do appreciate when you respond to peoples questions about fish and corals. And you may be the only LFS owner that gives out the names of other LFS in town. I'm glad you're close to me. I'll do business at your store.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:10 AM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Hey Carol, don't sweat it. Danny is part of the posse. He doesn't try to understand. Most of us know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words Mflamb. It is obvious that some of those posts were initiated to advertise. It's unfortunate that they chose to do that. Here is an example of what I am talking about though.

There is a person on this forum that has a leaking sump. I have built acrylic systems for three of the areas local LFS. I have the ability to fix the sump for this person in about five minutes and for free. If I post this, the person I help will surely be thankful. But other stores in the area will surely see it as advertising, or at least I think so, so I would not post this. Is this how I should view it?
Old 10/26/2007, 11:43 AM
Underground Art Studio

Let's view it this way - I'm the one with the leaking sump (I do have one BTW). I go into your store with my sump in tow and you fix it for free. I might come on RC and tell everyone about my experience. Some may view it as advertising but RC generally does not. I don't know you outside the hobby and I believe that is where the line is drawn. This is just how I've viewed all this - RC may see it differently but it has been my experience. You can't say - hey everyone I fixed his sump for free and I'm going to tell everyone about what a nice guy I am - RC Mods will be here.

Posting a new coral - just got it and want to show it off. Someone always will ask - where did you get that pretty thing - your name the store. We do this also all the time, is it advertising - not to the RC.

For the owners of stores - mainly answer questions dealing with care, ID etc. Keeps things very safe and RC moderators off our backs.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

when will these kind of posts end? stop throwing fuel on the ambers and let it die please. I cant be the only one sick of reading this crap
Old 10/26/2007, 11:57 AM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by payyourtoll
when will these kind of posts end? stop throwing fuel on the ambers and let it die please. I cant be the only one sick of reading this crap
And I'm not the only one sick of those knowingly breaking the rules.

AquaStar, I definitely see your point. I would think a pm indicating what you are willing to do would be ok.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:00 PM
Underground Art Studio

Quote:
Are you talking about - you - or the conversion we are now having? Guess I'm not understanding - BTW - I will always standup for myself when false information is given out. I don't see anything wrong with someone trying to get information as the above post or am I missing something.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

The first post in this thread was asking if LFS owners post here. And I am trying to respond to that. But my question is this: The person who needs their sump repaired posted a question about it. If I respond, come over and I can fix it for free, how will that be viewed?

Also, if I contact this person by other means or they contact me and I fix this for free. Then they post that I did this, in my mind this is still a form of advertising. It's called word of mouth advertising, and its the best form of advertising there is.

But back to my question, If I respond to the post how will it be viewed?
Old 10/26/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with people asking questions to better understand the rules. if you are tired of reading these post then stop reading them.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:05 PM
Underground Art Studio

Mmmm sorry - I missed that "person on this forum that has a leaking sump" - thanks Mike and I agree but I do believe it would have to be free. Otherwise - everyone that does acrylic work would be sending out PM's to fix this poor persons leaking sump. Doing it free would take 99% of the people off the list.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:24 PM
Underground Art Studio

"person on this forum that has a leaking sump"

That is where the fine line is drawn and most of the owners (at least resent owners that have posted) have stayed away from that on RC. RC seem to view us (The hobbyist) very differently then you (The Professional). They should, otherwise RC will end up being one big stadium for LFS advertising. That is the reason they jumped on some of the other threads - they really watch LFS posts and they should. take a look at Marcyn posts - they don't have a problem with any of her postings. She's very careful in how she chooses her words and remains very helpful. It goes a long way when you, just in words can help someone out -" fish is sick what do I do?" Only one LFS has helped me out here on RC - that goes a long way.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

BUMP - dont want the Pierre Posse to miss an opportunity to shill!
Old 10/26/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you talking about - you - or the conversion we are now having? Guess I'm not understanding - BTW - I will always standup for myself when false information is given out. I don't see anything wrong with someone trying to get information as the above post or am I missing something.
I dont know what I mean I guess, just weird to me that there is so much trouble lately about LFS and board rules. But Im a noob so maybe this is normal and I just need to ignore it all as Adam suggests. All of the board members and LFS owners Ive met in the past few months have been helpful and kind, then the Tampa forum is cluttered with the drama, just dont get it. Oh well
Old 10/26/2007, 01:23 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Star

Also, if I contact this person by other means or they contact me and I fix this for free. Then they post that I did this, in my mind this is still a form of advertising. It's called word of mouth advertising, and its the best form of advertising there is.

But back to my question, If I respond to the post how will it be viewed?

I think the what LFS owners need to be careful of is SOLICITATION.. which is a more appropriate word than advertising, IMO.. Word of mouth advertising is harmless, and doesn't break any rules.. As far as pm's go, I think if a person stated they needed help locally to fix the sump, I doubt you would be breaking any rules if you pm'ed that person and said "hey bring it in, and I'll have a look at it".. That's not un-warranted solicitation, and I wouldn't think you are breaking any rules, IMO. As long as it is kept private, and there are no un-warranted solicitations in you pm, I think you are well within the rules.

All in all, I don't think it is very difficult for LFS owners to realize where the line is when posting on RC.. But then there are always those select few LFS's that could care less about the rules or future posting privileges.