Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 11:53 PM
Underground Art Studio

Sand purchase

I'm at the point in my build that I need to find some sand - lots of it. I'm thinking about 700 lbs. I'm not sure about the aragonite - it seems very fine. Those that have sand in their tanks, what are you using and where did you get it? Do you like the size of the grain?
Old 10/06/2007, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

I got mine from mflamb (mike) on his big trip and group buy, and I think that is a huge reason things are growing well. I think it's aragonite, and yes, sometimes it is too fine. When my maroon clown is being "bad" and tearing up the place, the sand ends up all over the tank. However, I'd get that sand again. I do like it a lot and I can personally deal fine with the occasional snow.

However, I need to get about 300# at school so if you end up buying a lot, let me know please
Old 10/06/2007, 06:02 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hey Lady - you know if I end up going over where Mike got his you're first on my list. Just my way of personally saying thank you for helping our kids. That said, how do your gobies/shrimp etc - (the burrowing livestock) like it? I know they like a mixture so their burrows won't cave in. I saw where your goby in your video was really moving it around - that was soooooo cool. He looked very happy .
Old 10/06/2007, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

I put a lot of rock rubble near a spot I thought he might like and was starting to take interest in. He digs his hole, and starts grabbing the rubble and making walls inside his hole for reinforcements. It is really cool. I just messed up his house because of a fallen powerhead (problem fixed though) and he seemed completely buried (but I knew he was ok down there) and within 3 hours his house was perfect (even better -- he added a back door ) again. He's waking up right now and "opening" his door! I do love him.

Thanks very much Carol!
Old 10/06/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

if you ladies plan to buy soon.. like really soon.. i'll jump on a few bags witcha.
Old 10/06/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Carol, I will need some for my sump. Probably no more than 100 lbs then I will have some extra for a QT.
Old 10/06/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

hey if you guys are gonna do a group buy im in. i need 200lbs of sand asap...like the sooner the better

Mark
Old 10/06/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Ill need some too.
Old 10/06/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

200 lbs here too.....please
Old 10/06/2007, 03:14 PM
Underground Art Studio

I'll be helping everyone - except dilligaf_biker69 - what is this Daytona Beach - LOL!

OK - I'll need to get in touch with Mike he did the last big purchase of sand. I have a truck so that's not a problem but only one arm at this point. I know Mike paid a few cents more to have it bagged and that is the way I'll be going (If at all possible). So, I'll get the guys number and call him on Monday - I'm looking at going over at the end of the month.
Old 10/06/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Do you know how much it was last time around? I might be interested in 200# or so, I'd drive down from orlando to pick up.
Old 10/06/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

thanks for including me...haaaaa
anyhow....unfortunatly I we had a bit of a disussion on the ORCA board and Mike did give someone some direction but I don't know if its something that can be done at that same price from just a year ago...anyhow heres the link to that thread

Orca sand thread

let me know If I can help out in anyway
Old 10/06/2007, 07:45 PM
Underground Art Studio

Sorry but I really don't want to get involved in long distance delivery. I know Mike had done this but I'm not in the position that Mike was. If I were to deal with the same person that Mike had, I would travel south on 75 and then across. I was just surprised that someone from the other coast would need/want to be included in a sand purchase from here. We have to travel over to your coast to get it . Thanks for the offer to help and it's way to early to know if anyone will be getting any at this point. We are just checking out the opportunities.
Old 10/06/2007, 07:52 PM
Underground Art Studio

jsl6v8 - I'll keep you posted and thank you for the offer to pick it up

Is sand really that hard to come by in Florida? Really this is a question - I only have one person at this point that I know of to deal with. you would think with all our mines - good sand for our reef tanks would be easy to come by. what's the deal?
Old 10/06/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

I think we just put her on the spot after a very simple question she had.

Old 10/06/2007, 08:43 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Is sand really that hard to come by in Florida? Really this is a question - I only have one person at this point that I know of to deal with. you would think with all our mines - good sand for our reef tanks would be easy to come by. what's the deal?
I asked that same question, then I did some research and found out that most of the mined sand in Florida is high in phosphates.
Old 10/09/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

so are we gonna try and do a group buy for this or should i keep looking? right now were at about 1700lbs without specific numbers form everyone. how much do we need for a group buy? i know there more out there that need sand...and lots of it...comon

Mark
Old 10/09/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

i'm out. got mine yesterday.
Old 10/10/2007, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

I may be interested. I would need enough for a thin layer in my 180.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:54 AM
Underground Art Studio

I'm getting the numbers together now and getting a group buy together. I'm trying to work things out locally if at all possible. I was guessing about 2000# but I know once I say how much per pound it will most likely go over that. So, I still need a few days and if everyone can hang on I'll try to get a good deal within the county. BTW - I'm trying to get just a little larger sand size, but if that falls through we could aways mix a few different types.

So, what I need is to start getting some firm numbers. How much do you need? At this time this is not a firm commitment from you I just need to get a warm fuzzy number - Not I need sand .

Anyone that needs help determining the amount - just give me a PM or post here and I'll figure it out for you.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:58 AM
Underground Art Studio

Oh - I forgot to mention. Group buys take a little time to put together. So - if you need the sand now please do not wait on me as this will take a few more days. Most of the local LFS have a variety of sand and sand particle sizes (live and dry).
Old 10/10/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

I need about 90#s.
Old 10/10/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I was looking into it on that other thread but it didnt seem to get anywhere. I need to buy around 700 pounds also. I dont mind driveing to the tampa area to pick it up at your house either. I wouldnt even mind riding down with you to pick it up and help load and unload it. I just want to be apart of the bulk buy.
Old 10/10/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

various sizes would be great.. id like mine to be a little larger in size than pure aragonite.... if possible...
Old 10/10/2007, 09:58 AM
Underground Art Studio

Yes, we are trying to get various sizes as I really don't like the pure aragonite, but I know some do so I'm trying to offer that as well. Right now I'm trying to get sizes in the following ranges:

Grain size: 0.1-.75mm (This is the aragonite reef sand)

Grain size: 1.2-1.7mm (This is also agragonite reef sand but a size up)

If anyone is interested in viewing these before purchasing I know John (FAOIS) and other LFS in the area have this size sand in stock.

lusenut2 - you are more than welcome to go in on this with us. When you have a large tank to fill every penny counts and we are trying to get the best price possible.