Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > International Club Forums > Okinawa Saltwater Gang
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/25/2007, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

chaeto. free.

I have 1 big ball of chaeto, probably enough for 2 people actually, free to good home.

I need this gone by the weekend. If not, ill go see if PPM wants it, and I will donate it to them this weekend.

Mine started about the size of a small fist from Jeff, and was a little larger than a basketball, very thick and full of pods after a year under 10k lights. Its very healthy.

I work on foster and live about 10min outside of Kadena in the Takahara area.
Old 09/25/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Hey there, I haven't been on RC for a while but I thought I might have seen some posts from you on Japan Update. Are you leaving or just selling a lot of old stuff?

What benefits would my tank get from chaeto? Do I need big business lighting for it or will standard flourescents work?

Dev *Fishy aficionado*
Old 10/04/2007, 05:47 AM
Premium Member

Vest, have you gotten rid of any of your posted stuff yet? Might be interested in the overflow box...
Old 10/16/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

is there any still avail?
Old 10/16/2007, 05:12 AM
Premium Member

the only thing I have left is the tank itself (including the stand and hood) id let go for $225 area, i've got the aqua medic return pump $40 (not sure what size it is) and I've got a hamilton halide ballast and single ended pedient (which might be sold to Mr. C)
Old 10/16/2007, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

AlexnLinda, if you're interested in a tank, I think Lionel still has his up for grabs in the same forum - Okinawa saltwater gang. Please
go take a look see.
Old 10/16/2007, 05:27 AM
Premium Member

VestMan, Hope all is well...Hey, can up drop a bug in the tank masters ear....I'd like to get a big opne priced...

C
Old 10/16/2007, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

... I meant big one....I am typing with my son in my lap...sigh...
Old 10/16/2007, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

...Sigh, AlexnLinda, if you meant Chaeto I can cut you a big chuck from my fuge....just let me know if you'd like some
Old 10/16/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sango-chu
VestMan, Hope all is well...Hey, can up drop a bug in the tank masters ear....I'd like to get a big opne priced...

C
Is there someone here that makes tanks? If so Acrylic or Glass, what sizes, I'm very interested in getting a bigger tank also. let me know.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

There's an acrylic man out in Koza and he'll make you a tank...you'll have to talk with him to get a feel for it. I asked him to make me a 375 gallon and he quoated the same price at tenacor for 3/4 inch acrylic all around. Vest0830 knows a guys who knows a guy who makes tanks...but I have to talk to him first to get the skinny.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
There's an acrylic man out in Koza and he'll make you a tank...you'll have to talk with him to get a feel for it. I asked him to make me a 375 gallon and he quoated the same price at tenacor for 3/4 inch acrylic all around. Vest0830 knows a guys who knows a guy who makes tanks...but I have to talk to him first to get the skinny.
where is this place @ in Koza? If you talk to Vest0830 im looking for a 180-200g tank.. thanks
Old 10/17/2007, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
C
Mike Pine is his name. I know if you go to his profile, you can email him that way. I would grab his email from you from my work email addy book but i'm not at work this week or next. Do you guys at DODDS have a global address book like the military does, you could probably find him that way. I don't think he gets on here very often anymore.

Here is his thread on his tank build, which is on hold due to him building his new house. The tank he had custom made is in here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=970762
Old 10/17/2007, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Vestman, I just pm'ed him...will keep ya post
Old 10/17/2007, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexnLinda
where is this place @ in Koza? If you talk to Vest0830 im looking for a 180-200g tank.. thanks
Dimensions should be as close to metric as possible. It is pass the Okinawa zoo road going down hill past the gas station. once you pass the busy bee day care center on the right hand side and the kanehide food store (?) you will come up on a light with a wall covered in foliage to the left. take taht left turn down a medium (bit larger than small in Okinawa) road and go down about 700 meters...you will see a sign board with a fish on it denoting a small storefront place. its his mde over garage...but he's got a great setup inside...diecast acrylic and a wonderful huge table saw....he does most of the work for the make-man and pet-box stores and the like...let me know if you'd like directions.
my cell
0908 292 2991...name is Luis they call me Luie (Louie)
Old 10/18/2007, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

I found the place. Very nice man. He's cutting my acrylic for i can make a sump. anyone has weld-on #4 or similar
I also have his #. there was a language barrier but we work through it.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

good, glad it worked out.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

good deal! I'll look into that too.
Vest: have you left already? I tried sending you e-mail so I can pick up your chaeto and pods if you have any. If you can, pm me your number so I can call you and pick it up this weekend. (I live about 6 min east of macaroni grill).

Dev *Fishy aficionado*
Old 10/19/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

im pretty sure he dosnt have any left..
Old 10/20/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

where else can I get some? Perhaps I should start a new thread ie. wanted: chaeto and pods.

also, can macro algae like chaeto be anchored to live rock?

Dev *Fishy aficionado*
Old 10/21/2007, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Dev, I have a TON!!!! not too sure about how many pds thought because the chaeto is so thick....Lets corrdinate a meet.
Lou
Old 10/21/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

I can hook you up with a little bit.. enough to get you started. You should have it in your refugium, water flow should be real slow and the cheato wont go anywhere.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

can i get in on this also? well right now the new sump is not built can you hold some for me? i should have it done this week.. what type of light are you using for the chaeto?
Old 10/21/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

yea, hopefully ill have enough grown by the time your sump is done.. hopefully.. lol if not, i'll hook you up as soon as I get enough.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

Refugium
Below is a picture of the water entering the refugium. I have the 90 degree elbow pointed away from the teeth, so water has to circulate to get back across and exit. The surface ripples gently, and the southdown has remained undisturbed. I almost want more flow in there. It is being lit by a couple of 5100K lightbulbs that are available via mail order. Please refer to this page for details, and be sure to read the January 2005 update at the base of the page.

Often people ask what is a good sized refugium. I tend to recommend 10% of the display tank, but if you have the room for a larger one, by all means go for it. I put in 1" of live sand, some live rock rubble, and macro algae like Cheatomorpha. If you want, add a few mangroves perhaps.

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html